• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tripped out hard on Pregabalin (Lyrica)

aussiegirl 🇦🇺

Greenlighter
I had an incredibly unexpected experience taking pregabalin (lyrica) 150mg capsules for the first time and don't know what to make of it as it isn't documented anywhere that pregabalin (lyrica) causes severe hallucinations but what I experienced was by far the most intense trip I have ever had.

I was given 1 x pregabalin 150mg tablets in a genuine pharmacy blister foil packet by a friend who recommended I take it when I'm ready to sleep. I missed one night of sleep while smoking meth for 2 and a bit days and I also went through 25ml of GHB during those same 2 days. This was not the first time I've used meth and GHB.. been around them both for a while. I took the pregabalin as instructed and hoped to drift off to sleep but I had no chance of sleeping through what came on next...

I started using GHB (and meth) 1.5 years ago (why I did is a long story and not relevant) and use both substances frequently enough to warrant a substance use disorder diagnosis which pairs nicely with my BPD. 1.5 years ago I experienced hallucinations on GHB almost every time I used it but the hallucinations became less frequent over a 2 month period until they stopped entirely.

The hallucinations on Lyrica reminded me of my past GHB hallucinations at first but Lyrica quickly put itself in a whole different league of what the f**k.

I started having visual hallucinations.. my phone screen looked like someone applied incredibly transparent contact with comic book illustrations that were far from finished pieces. They were being worked on while I used my phone which did my head in so I switched my phone off. I picked up a book and went to read it from where I left off but the next chapter wasn't words but shifting black-and-white inkblot patterns (Google Rorschach's mask). I put the book down, turned off the lamp and rolled over to try sleep and moments later I felt all this heavy-based, dusty, sooty and suffocating stuff falling on me. I turned on the lamp to see what's going on and my entire room was full of falling ash as if a nearby volcano went off (there's no active volcano's in Australia). I was like uhhh, wtf!? I opened my blockout blinds and put the mesh privacy blinds down instead and I opened the window to let air in. Every single spec of ash was gone in less than 5 seconds, sucked out by the open window.. nice.

Everything I looked at or touched came to life in some way but in a fun way. I started hearing music that kept getting louder and louder and sounded like it was from a Disney movie and some was... "bippidity, boppidy, boo" and "let it go!" but not the whole song, just those three words over and over. I then heard a few different voices greet me by name and ask how I'm doing and I've never heard voices before so I imploded, panicked and spiralled but I remembered some of the moving room stuff in the Disney movies talk so that's all it is. I calmed down but I was losing it. 3 hours now and it's getting more intense rather than dying off. Closing my eyes wasn't much better as there was things happening in the darkness too.

I decided to call a friend as f**k dealing with this sh*t alone.. I need company. I couldn't see my screen as those drawings were done. Hallucinations come from the mind and my mind is doing sh*t like this! Why!? I need a phone idiot. I had to get out my laptop so I could send a message on FB and he agreed to come over. The distraction and company helped calm me down and just accept what's happening and go with it.

I like to chill in my room and on my bed when using drugs.. sit up, put my feet up and enjoy but I was feeling tense so decided to stand up and do a few basic stretches and move around. I was up and standing on the carpet and quietly said "oh my god, holy f**k, wow... wow" my friend heard and had a huh, what? facial expression. I couldn't stop smiling and said "the carpet is so f**king soft! This is incredible.. I've never appreciated my carpet before but this is the best carpet in the world.. wow, omg, geez, feels so amazing". I moved around slowly, sliding my feet and gliding along. I was euphoric. I told my friend to come and try and to him it was nothing special. Euphoria turned to intense agitation and frustration because he wasn't enjoying the f**king carpet like I f**king asked him to. I sat on the bed and almost cried.

My cat came out of the wardrobe she had been sleeping in for hours and now wanted pats and attention. The second I touched her I felt euphoric again.. "you are the softest cat I have ever felt.. so f**king pretty and your fur is so f**king clean and well groomed. I love you". She loved it at first.. meowing, purring and smoochy as but 5 minutes was enough. I picked her up and snuggled her and got scratched quite badly and quite deep during her excessive kicking and biting escape plan. I laughed but then cried for a bit, laughed for a bit and cried a little this went on for a few minutes. I stopped and caught my breath randomly bursting into tears for 20 minutes and feeling much better after. My friend was supportive but had no idea how to react or what to do.

I went to use the toilet and when I came back in I noticed my quilt cover moved like you'd expect waves to and under my doona was the ocean.. I got in and lied on my back and floated as the waves moved my body up and down. My friend was sitting on a raft and for some reason he couldn't access the water but I could. He pulled me out and onto my bedroom floor which was now sand and we started getting playful which we've done before so not the first time and everything felt great but I couldnt cum.. it would build up and feel great and then nothing.. gone. This continued for 2 hours and I burst into tears as it was absolute torture! We had a break and he used one of my toys and took him an hour of going at it but I finally had a proper orgasm and then everything went white and I felt like I was dying and I fell asleep peacefully and died... just kidding about the died bit obviously but it was a peaceful sleep and I woke up back to normal.

I have personally experienced visual hallucinations from using too much phenibut, which is also a gabapentinoid. Quite unusual. I've never experienced them from GHB or any other GABAergic, though.

Maybe a similar mechanism at play here, compounded by meth/insomnia?

Your experience after taking pregabalin (Lyrica) alongside a recent history of using methamphetamine and GHB is indeed intense and unusual, reflecting the unpredictable and potentially dangerous interactions between prescription medications and recreational drugs. Pregabalin is a medication that affects the central nervous system and is primarily used to treat nerve pain, epilepsy, and generalized anxiety disorder. While it is not commonly associated with severe hallucinations at therapeutic doses, its interaction with other substances, especially those with significant effects on the central nervous system like meth and GHB, can lead to unpredictable and heightened effects.

Factors Contributing to Your Experience:​

1. Drug Interactions: The combination of drugs in your system (methamphetamine, GHB, and pregabalin) likely contributed to the severity of your hallucinations. Both meth and GHB can have profound effects on perception and mood, and adding pregabalin to the mix could amplify or alter these effects unpredictably.
  2. Sleep Deprivation: Missing a night of sleep, especially while using stimulants, can significantly increase the likelihood of experiencing hallucinations and other severe psychological effects, as sleep deprivation itself can cause hallucinations.
  3. Individual Sensitivity: Individual differences in metabolism, brain chemistry, and sensitivity to drugs can lead to varied and unpredictable responses to substances like pregabalin.
  4. Tolerance and Substance Use Disorder: Regular use of substances can alter your brain's chemistry and how it responds to drugs, potentially making you more susceptible to adverse reactions when introducing new substances or changing dosages.

Moving Forward:​

• Seek Medical Guidance: It’s important to consult with a healthcare professional about your drug use and the experiences you’ve had. They can provide advice on safely managing withdrawal symptoms, potential drug interactions, and strategies for recovery.
  • Consider Substance Use Treatment: Given the severity of your experience and the mention of a substance use disorder, exploring treatment options could be beneficial. This might include detoxification, counseling, and support groups, which can offer structured assistance in managing and overcoming substance use.
  • Safety First: Mixing drugs, especially powerful ones like meth, GHB, and prescription medications like pregabalin, can have dangerous and unpredictable consequences. If you continue to use substances, consider doing so in a safe environment and with a trusted person who can seek help if things go wrong.
  • Reflect on Underlying Issues: Often, substance use is a coping mechanism for underlying issues, such as emotional distress, trauma, or mental health conditions like BPD. Addressing these underlying issues with a mental health professional can be an essential step in recovery.
Your experience underscores the complexity and risks associated with polydrug use and the importance of understanding how substances can interact in potent and unpredictable ways. While seeking change, remember that support is available, and taking steps toward your health and safety is paramount.