• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Trazodone (SARI) and other serotonergic substances (x-SRI/x-SRA/etc)?

Ventrusii

Bluelighter
Is it safe to combine Trazodone (a Serotonin Antagonist and Reuptake Inhibitior) with serotonergic substances (not specifically in rec. doses, like in therapeutic treatment), like Serotonin Releasing Agents, or Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors?

I know that it is safe to combine with psychedelics, since Trazodone's main action is to inhibit HT-2a receptors, which psychedelics agonize to provide their visual and mental changes, but what about combination with general serotonergic substances? Would the inhibition of the HT-xx receptors lower or completely remove the chance to have serotonin syndrome, or would the reuptake inhibition prove to be too strong and still over-stimulate the receptors?

The only research I have found online is that it is allowed to be prescribed alongside serotonin-affecting pharmaceuticals for the purpose of reversing the insomnia side effect, but I believe that this could also due to the fact that the insomnia would occur only at early stages of introduction of the serotonin-acting pharmaceutical, so the levels may be low enough of the agonist/releasing agent and would allow for the trazodone to stop the reuptake of serotonin without causing serotonin syndrome. Another reason I don't want to just rely on the fact that it is allowed to be prescribed alongside serotonin-acting pharmaceuticals is that the insomnia caused by such is caused by agonism of the HT-2a receptor, so the trazodone may only be prescribed to the serotonin-acting pharmaceuticals that specifically agonize HT-2a receptors, meaning that trazodone would more target the pharmaceutical's route of action, rather than the release of serotonin being the problem.

Sorry if it was a little tough to understand, it was tough to elucidate my thoughts into the situation I wanted.

~V

"Remember, remember,
the fifth of November,
the Gunpowder treason and plot.
I know of no reason,
why the Gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot!"