Travelling abroad (specifically Europe) with misdemeanor theft?

Putingrad

Bluelighter
So I have a petty theft charge from shoplifting a few years back, I have kept my nose clean since then. Unfortunately from what I've been told by my lawyer it cannot be expunged as I had a prior misdeameanor (trespassing). The trespassing charge has been expunged however.

Basically, I'm planning to backpack Europe this summer for three months, and I hope to travel abroad extensively in my life. I'm working on an international relations/studies major and would also love to study abroad at some point.

I've read and heard incredibly conflicting things regarding travelling abroad with a misdemeanor, leaving me more confused than when I first began researching. I have even called foreign consulates and it is utterly impossible to get a clear, straight answer from the bureaucrats.

I know that any place can turn you back for any reason really, but I've also gleaned that criminal records are not something which are frequently checked by foreign customs unless they have a reason to be suspicious of you.

Does anyone have some knowledge about this preferably some first-hand RECENT (things are changing rapidly in this realm and there is increasing international co-ordination of background checks/criminal records post-9/11) experience travelling abroad with a record? If this minor offense which I will never commit again in my life somehow can significantly impede things I would be pretty devestated... I have many international goals and aspirations.

Thanks for reading!

Define "Europe".

I'm not trying to be a dick, different European countries have very different laws. Where exactly are you thinking of heading? Also, consulates are sometimes limited in what they know/what they can tell you, you might be better checking the websites of the relevant immigration dept of each country.

Ireland, the UK, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Czech Rep., Poland, France, Spain is my projected course. I will check up on the immigration sites of these countries, thanks for the tip.

So I have a petty theft charge from shoplifting a few years back, I have kept my nose clean since then. Unfortunately from what I've been told by my lawyer it cannot be expunged as I had a prior misdeameanor (trespassing). The trespassing charge has been expunged however.

Basically, I'm planning to backpack Europe this summer for three months, and I hope to travel abroad extensively in my life. I'm working on an international relations/studies major and would also love to study abroad at some point.

I've read and heard incredibly conflicting things regarding travelling abroad with a misdemeanor, leaving me more confused than when I first began researching. I have even called foreign consulates and it is utterly impossible to get a clear, straight answer from the bureaucrats.

I know that any place can turn you back for any reason really, but I've also gleaned that criminal records are not something which are frequently checked by foreign customs unless they have a reason to be suspicious of you.

Does anyone have some knowledge about this preferably some first-hand RECENT (things are changing rapidly in this realm and there is increasing international co-ordination of background checks/criminal records post-9/11) experience travelling abroad with a record? If this minor offense which I will never commit again in my life somehow can significantly impede things I would be pretty devestated... I have many international goals and aspirations.

Thanks for reading!

Criminal records are more of a problem if you plan on moving to a country, not visiting it. I have to assume that most, if not all of the countries that you're visiting are EU countries (I only glanced at your list)? With a shoplifting charge, you shouldn't have much of a problem. Serious felonies, on the other hand, would be a major problem.

Criminal records are more of a problem if you plan on moving to a country, not visiting it.

Yep, its very doubtful a misdemeanor theft charge even made it onto NCIC so it wouldn't even show in a different state. Unless you have made it onto an interpol watchlist (;)sarcasm) there will be no problem.

Now if you ever want to apply for permanent residency somewhere they will make you get a clear criminal record from any states you have lived in as an adult and then you run into problems, not as a tourist.

Criminal records are more of a problem if you plan on moving to a country, not visiting it.

Minor drug convictions will prevent you visiting the US, so this isn't totally true.

I suspect shoplifting won't be much of a problem, but I can't guarantee that.

Yeah, I've figured it shouldn't be much of a problem. But there's still a part in the back of my head asking 'what if'. But I'm still going ahead with my plans and will find out once I'm there I suppose!

The U.S. is uniquely draconian in the Western world on immigration/visa issues, Canada is catching up however. I've encountered a dearth of information regarding European nations' policies, though from what I gather it's fairly lenient.

Hi there,

I have gotten a passport and traveled throughout Europe with it w/no problems. I also got a student visa for Spain and never had a problem.

I had on my record during that time one misdemeanor for possession of a controlled substance. ALSO I had a charge for the same thing that I had never resolved.

Hope that helps.

NOW I am back in the US and have had both issues expunged (after handling the outstanding one). I am supposed to be moving to the Netherlands next month, but I am unsure if these expunged offenses will show up. Does anyone have any personal experience in this area?

i think my strategy here would be to:

a) find out which countries need a visa

b) apply for all of them nonetheless

if you get any rejections, there's your answer. your crimes are so minor that i doubt very much if they'd show up on any visa check.

however! i would be surprised if a US citizen actually needs a visa to visit any of those countries. but you really need to find that out first.

"it's easier to ask forgiveness than seek permission" %)