• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Tranxene acting shorter and weaker than Valium ?

Kdem

Bluelighter
Supposedly it would be longer acting (not 'half life'). It also lacks the sedation of diazepam.

80 mg of Tranxene (40 mg twice daily) would be equal to 20 mg diazepam twice daily. Some sources claim that 40 mg diazepam = 60 mg Tranxene.

Experiences, theory ?

Well, clorazepate is more or less a prodrug, because it's affinities for the GABA-A receptors are negligible. It's main active metabolites are nordazepam and oxazepam iirc, so maybe your body isn't metabolizing it good enough?

I have a source claiming that 15mg clorazepate is equivalent to 10mg diazepam.

If you think of that in a broader picture - IMO, every benzo work in different ways. If you do not consider their time of action you may notice that Valium for example is a good great muscle relaxant, used for withdrawals purposes, while Xanax would be good in case you are fearful or too nervous.
Bromazepam is the one you can use in case you want to be alert and confident while few others just make you calm and a bit euphoric. And that goes on and on, like those that are the best sleeping only, etc.

Either way I think benzodiazepines are tricky because once you get hooked your brain will expect that you react in certain manners that you would not be able to in case you are out of them, obviously.
And this feeling of confidence that you get used to confuses your mind when you are off. So it's not only about feeling well and relaxed but how our mind is set when you are used to them and needs to stop using or to change to another medication.

When I had to quit opiates, benzos were my best friends but once I was physically fine doctors start to prescribe you different meds for sleeping purposes. I had Seroquel prescribed to me which I could say that it would be 100 times "stronger than diazepam" but simply horrible as you get drowsy and sleepy all day long. Like a nightmare. I would fall asleep while brushing my teeth.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly 'Well, clorazepate is more or less a prodrug, because it's affinities for the GABA-A receptors are negligible' Tranxene is metabolized to desmethyldiazepam in the stomach, in a few hours.

I think that the Tranxene was metabolized properly, it did work. But it had a fairly short peak effect and it seemed to be shorter acting than diazepam. Isn't it supposed to last 12 hours ?

Nothing to add ? The local manufacturer doesn't make any gradual release product, according to the info there is a peak after 45 minutes. Short acting, unless you would really let everything depend on the half life.

Sorry, forgot to reply.
Diazepam is supposed to act pretty long too, but some people experience just 1-2 hours or even less of effects, even though the half life is really long, so yes half life does not equal length of effects.