• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Transition from loperamide to Suboxone difficulties

anthrax101

Greenlighter
I know the whole loperamide addiction story can get pretty controversial around these parts since there's a large group that thinks that it cannot cross the BBB even while consuming potential P-glycoprotein drugs beforehand, but that's not my concern regarding this particular topic so I will be ignoring any comments about "you can't get addicted to lope" so that the topic can stay on focus. Any constructive criticism is more than welcome though and deeply appreciated as well.

I've been hooked for many years now on various substances and a few years ago I discovered that loperamide could stop my withdrawals right in their tracks, and eventually worked my way up to 64mg of loperamide consumed twice a day to stave off the inevitable withdrawals. I've tried in the past to curb my loperamide dosages but it's long half-life combined with it's result variabilities has made it extremely difficult for me to ween myself. Unfortunately 1-2 years ago the loperamide started messing with my cardiac rhythms and ended up having to have a cardiac pacemaker implanted just to keep me alive (and I do strongly feel that the lope is what caused my heart issues, or at least lowered my threshold where the side effects could become more pronounced). Just a few weeks ago I managed to find a Suboxone doctor in my area with available slots, and I met the doctor only 2 days after the first phone call which is pretty damn excellent. I told the doctor about my past drug history as well as the high-dose loperamide intake and the doctor didn't even seem phased in the slightest. Now, I have absolutely NO idea why but the doctor trusted me enough to write a 30 day supply for me only I'd be taking a whopping 24mg per day! I went and picked up the prescription (90x 8mg/2mg films was free with my insurance). After waiting 36 hours after my last loperamide dose and starting to feel the withdrawals setting in I took a whole 8mg strip thinking that I would be just fine and out of WDs pretty soon.

I found out after 30 minutes or so that 8mg was way too much for my body to handle since I was coming from a 128mg loperamide/day dose, and my respiratory functions were deeply depressed. I ended up having to stay awake that night and for a total of 48 hours until my blood levels of buprenorphine fell to a point that I would no longer gasp for breath every time I lay down completely flat. Also I was severely hypotensive - my electronic BP machine measured my blood pressure at 102/52 even though normally I have 150/100 BP uncorrected with hypertensive medications. After 48 hours the WDs set in again and I switched back to the loperamide for several days. I spent about 6 days total being completely sick and not being able to get up, move, eat, take a piss, or anything without being on the virge of passing out. Three days ago though I decided to try my own induction again (this is why I would have preferred to be inducted in the doctor's office but he only writes paper scripts for Suboxone) but this time started by taking 1mg of buprenorphine/naloxone at a time until I could just about handle the WD-type symptoms. I have also been leaving the film under my tongue for about 15 minutes and spitting out the naloxone/norbuprenorphine since my research looks like norbuprenorphine plays a large role in respiratory depression and the naloxone is not something everybody handles with ease.

I'm sitting here right now with only 3mg of Suboxone in my system and I feel pretty good. Occasionally I still have a little difficulty breathing but I know that will go away with a little bit of time, and I'm not having to run back and forth to the bathroom every few minutes to empty my bowels with the force of a geyser. In about 2-3 days I plan on starting back exercising again as I was doing before the first self-induction and will consider myself to be loperamide-free at this point and completely on buprenorphine.

My question - Does spitting out the naloxone and/or norbuprenorphine in your saliva after absorbing the film really help with people like myself who suffer from respiratory depression as a side effect of the medication? It could very well be a placebo effect, or it could just as easily be the megadose of Suboxone that I took the first time that potentiated all of my previous issues in the first place. I'd love to hear anybody who has experience with being given too much Suboxone and ran into breathing/shortness of breath problems. Because I was given a mountain of Suboxone film at only 3mg per day I essentially have a full 8 months of Suboxone now (90x 8mg = 720mg, divided by 3 = 240 days) but I will still continue to see the Suboxone doctor so that I can either build up a large supply of buprenorphine or continue to be a patient so that later on I can receive more buprenorphine to continue my maintenance if I choose to.

Thanks in advance to everyone for their comments, and hope that there are other people out there with a similar situation that can benefit from this. Cheers.

I know how late this is.....did you ever low dose bupe while 15 hours out from high dosing loperamide?

Ive take 24mg of Suboxone and didn't exspierience any respiratory depression well nothing significant of course I prally breathed slower but no depression worth mentioning
I basically threw up an hour straight

Btw I use Imodium(lopramide) for constant diahrea I've taken100mg at once 2-3 times a week and I'm definitely not addicted to it in any way

Last edited: