• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

transferring schools to be with girlfriend!?!?!

Wetrippymayne

Bluelighter
Hey! I am very conflicted with something and I just wanted to get other people's opinions on it. So basically I have been in a relationship for almost a year (one year anniversary coming up on the 14th!!) and I am very conflicted about where I should go from here. I am currently a freshman in college and my girlfriend is a senior in highschool. She really wants to go to college in California and since we first began dating we have always planned to escape the dull small town that we lived in to go on an adventure and start a new chapter of our lives together in California. I have had relationships in the past but I have never felt this way about anyone before. I love my girlfriend more than anything and I couldn't imagine living without her because without her I feel empty. That being said, we argue quite a bit and we have broken up in the past and gotten back together. The school that i'm currently going to is one of the best schools in the country and the school that she is going to has a 50% acceptance rate, so i'm just worried that i will transfer and then we will break up and i will regret going to a less prestigious school. That being said, i'm confident that i will be successful no matter where i go and i wouldn't mind getting a fresh start anyways because I feel like i missed out on making quality friends at the beginning of freshman year. So basically, with this in mind, do you think I should transfer schools to be with her or not!?!?!

Not trying to be totally negative here buddy but usually high school relationships don't last. You are kind of at a point in your life where things start going in different directions, meeting new people, doing new things, etc. I would be highly apprehensive about a move like that. If you are going to one of the best schools in the country, not just no, but fuck no. Where you go to school makes a huge difference in your employment prospects. I don't know what your financial situation is like either, but CA is not a cheap place to live, add in out-of-state tuition and you are looking at a hefty chunk of change.

I like your optimism about being successful and at your age it can seem like the world is your oyster, but it can be hard to compete in this economy. You need every little advantage you can get. Honestly, this seems like a regret in the making. This is a huge decision so don't take it lightly. You can make it work if you want to but don't go to a crappy school just to be with your hs sweetheart. You will probably feel a lot differently about the relationship after your first year of college is over anyway. If you've been in a relationship for less than a year and already breaking up and arguing all the time, that's not a good sign. You should be at it for a couple years at least before that starts happening.

Focus on getting your degree, getting good grades, and doing what's best for your future. That's what's important right now.

no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously?

you have an on and off relationship and you want to go to a worse college because of that?

maybe rethink things. education does make a difference

Hell to the fucking no.

All the points mentioned are extremely valid. Additionally, she would be a freshman and live in the dorms, leaving you to find a living situation (an expensive one) on your own. It's entirely possible you could both make the move then become interested in other people, senior in high school/freshman in college is SO young. Where would you get the money to make the move? Can you afford out of state tuition? Agh so many issues here. Don't do it.

Don't do it!

I know a lot of people who went to the same university as their highschool girlfriend or boyfriend, and their relationship did not last or work out.

The school that i'm currently going to is one of the best schools in the country and the school that she is going to has a 50% acceptance rate

This is basically all you need to know.

I'll give another angle. Most women (and men) don't know who the fuck they really are or what they really want to do until at least 25 years old. You'll both change dramatically over the course of the next several years. I'd be willing to bet a 95% chance that either you'll become disgusted with her or vica-versa.

You'll feel empty and bitter if you stick together and it doesn't work out, which it most likely will not. It may not feel that way but don't let emotion blind you. And besides.. you may feel empty without her now but you will grow to be stronger from that experience, and you need that experience! Placing all that faith and emotion into one person is a recipe for disaster.. nature be fucking with you man, it wants you to hook up.. which is not necessarily what is best for you in the long run.

Don't feel like I'm talking down to you here, but "love" as spoken by young people is nearly always not actually love, but lust, desire or fear, or some combination. Also how will you feel if you move and then she cheats on you, or hops into someone elses bed? Young (modern) women are particularly vapid and hollow in the Western world.. don't fool yourself in thinking it can't happen. I've just finished university and I've seen it happen to many younger guys.

I'll give another angle. Most women (and men) don't know who the fuck they really are or what they really want to do until at least 25 years old. You'll both change dramatically over the course of the next several years. I'd be willing to bet a 95% chance that either you'll become disgusted with her or vica-versa.

You'll feel empty and bitter if you stick together and it doesn't work out, which it most likely will not. It may not feel that way but don't let emotion blind you. And besides.. you may feel empty without her now but you will grow to be stronger from that experience, and you need that experience! Placing all that faith and emotion into one person is a recipe for disaster.. nature be fucking with you man, it wants you to hook up.. which is not necessarily what is best for you in the long run.

Don't feel like I'm talking down to you here, but "love" as spoken by young people is nearly always not actually love, but lust, desire or fear, or some combination. Also how will you feel if you move and then she cheats on you, or hops into someone elses bed? Young (modern) women are particularly vapid and hollow in the Western world.. don't fool yourself in thinking it can't happen. I've just finished university and I've seen it happen to many younger guys.

I couldn't have said it better... When I think back to early relationships to how I am how... Lordly! I'm a completely different person

At the end of the day, & though it will hurt you have to put yourself first. You need to complete you're education and then, well who knows?

I don't think it's a good idea to hold onto too much hope, but you never know what the future holds. Stay positive, work hard & good things will come your way ☺️

Correct me if I'm wrong here, because I don't know anything about the US school system. When you say you go to one of the best schools in your country, I'm guessing you mean one of the best community colleges, and community colleges are like a cheaper, easier to get into, shittier version of real colleges, right? Like the prostitutes of the educational instutions? So you go to one of the best community colleges in the country, but how does it actually compare to the real college your girlfriend is going to? Being optimistic here, maybe you've assumed that the college she's going to isn't very good because of its 50% acceptance rate, but since it's a real college maybe it's still better than your school because that's just a community college? I don't know about over in the US, but here in the UK the "league tables" for all of the educational institutions are widely available, so for example when I wanted to choose a university, I could easily find a list with all the universities that offered the course I wanted, and then could have them listed ranked by amount of students who graduated with a first class/2:1/2:2 etc class degree for 2014, average salary of graduates 1/2/5/10 years after graduating, number of published researchers on the faculty, even student satisfaction etc, so you could have a comprehensive list of which schools were best for any particular subject on absolutely any metric you wanted. Is there any US equivalent to the sites like this that we have over here? Just a thought, because going by their acceptance rate alone is a pretty unreliable indicator of the school's quality. Your community college may have a tiny acceptance rate, but that doesn't necessarily make it one of the most esteeemed & prestigious schools in the country, and just because the cali school has a 50% acceptance rate, that doesn't make it a really shitty school either. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't saying you go to one of the most prestigious community colleges a little like saying you're the calmest methhead or the tallest midget or the smallest giant?

Lots of people are saying that you shouldn't do it because it's just a high school romance, you argue a lot with your girlfriend, have already broken up once and will probably do so again. Whilst all of them are right, in my mind it's irrelevant. As long as there's a good few months left in the relationship, then fucking go for it man. When we get older we'll get more & more responsibilities and won't be able to just get up and move to California. You have the chance now and I bet it'll be a fucking BLAST, even if you're single! If you live in some small boring town now, then hell yeah pack your shit up and go to California! If it's been a dream of yours anyway then even if it all falls to shit with your girlfriend, who cares? It would have happened anyway, but instead of crying in the woods or whatever, you can cry on the beach, smoking a joint, feeling the California sun, catch some waves, eye up the gorgeous California girls and start looking for some babe as your next girlfriend!

California will be an adventure with or without the girl, I'd say definitely go for it. Look up the school first, maybe you'll find it's better than you thought, or at least maybe it'll be better than the community college you go to now. If it isn't that good, you can always look for a different school in California. You don't *have* to go to the same school she does, and I'm sure there's more than one there, and i'd wager there are probably at least a few that are better than the one you go to at the moment. I'd say start doing your research and go for it. By the by, just curious, what is it you study?

Last edited:
That being said, i'm confident that i will be successful no matter where i go and i wouldn't mind getting a fresh start anyways because I feel like i missed out on making quality friends at the beginning of freshman year.

You should be proud of that, and excited of the life ahead of you, trust me, it'll be hard work, but so much fun!

Don't do it!

I agree, but would add "just for her" to it!

Most women (and men) don't know who the fuck they really are
FACT!

California will be an adventure with or without the girl, I'd say definitely go for it.

About sums it up according to me!

I have lived in more cities than I can count, and I must say that while the program, the school and piece of paper you get in the end count, they are really only one of the many blocks to build your "life foundation". Don't bet everything on it. Also, exile does something to you, you'll come home and feel different, look at things differently, so I would recommend it heavily.

If I were in that situation, I would consider going to (and perhaps even looking up) a different school in California, say within 30-50 miles of hers, so you can be together but perhaps not all the time. (being two newbies in the same school might make you guys "be together always" and not sure this is a desirable outcome!)

If it's meant to be, you guys will figure out how to make it work (long-distance).

True that, trust that you'll both figure it out, and if you don't, then it wasn't meant to be. I personally would not consider long-distance however.

Hope his helps

Last edited:
Don't do it. I speak from experience. I convinced an exgf who was here from Japan to follow me from her school in Iowa to a school I intended to attend, a big state school in Florida. We had a few good years; I went to Japan to visit her family and her dad said he was not going to allow marriage until I had decent job prospects. Well, I finished my grad school coursework, moved to another Florida city (with the best of intentions for carrying on long distance) for a job and ended up marrying someone else (which ended in disaster). It rarely works. And it's not a good sign she's imposing conditions because I did and look how that worked out for me.

It will end in heartbreak. Don't do it. As you grow older, you will begin to better recognize what an education from a prestigious University will allow you to gain over a woman. She is too young to know who she is or what she wants, and when she gets into college she is going to have so many guys all over her and "want to know what it's like to be with someone else" leaving you broken, and with a shitty degree. Don't let a woman be a determining factor when you have so much going for you in your life. Trust everything everyone else including myself has said. I thought I was going to be with my x for life. I was never sold on marriage or children, EVER, but being with her made me want so much more out of life. Now she's gone, and I'm alone. It happens bro. Stick with the script. I should have been in UCLA, but ended up at a shitty University because of the poor choices I made by giving her my time and not to my education.

I go to Boston University, not a community college so there is a huge difference between the two schools. That being said, I appreciate getting input from someone that has a different opinion on the situation. Thanks!

Thank you everyone that has given their advice on the situation, I really appreciate it. Although I know that it might be difficult and emotionally tolling to end the relationship I think that it is probably for the best. I probably wouldn't have been able to make such a tough decision on my own so thank you so much for all the advice. Cheers!

I believe you've made the best decision for yourself at this point. You may even find someone else sooner than you imagine too, you never know. Good luck to you mate :)