• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tramadol

kenlee

Bluelighter
In the past I was put on tramadol after surgery and I used to feel euphoria after taking it and I managed to live on it for years because the surgery I had abroad I just took the tramadol to my GP and said here is a letter I had surgery, here is the pain meds they gave me for the pain, please can you prescribe it and they did, after a few years I swapped over to codeine after talking to my old GP, withdrawal was hell from tramadol but the codeine helped with the symptoms so I coped.

Now the codeine doesn’t work anymore, I take it and I don’t feel much after downing 60mg and even after a break for a week I don’t feel much, If I’ve been prescribed tramadol in the past from old doctor, should it be difficult to get switched back to it with my new doctors? Or maybe there is something stronger than codeine in the UK. Maybe if I tell them that my neurological pain is still bad, they could put me back on tramadol

Getting switched back to tramadol from codeine shouldn't be too difficult, just ask your GP. But tramadol is a bit of a nasty drug to be on long-term as you may have noticed already. In the UK we have dihydrocodeine which is about 2.5x stronger than codeine and personally I get way better subjective effects from it. After having surgery dihydrocodeine helped my pain levels significantly. I regard it highly. I doubt it'd be a problem to get moved from codeine to DHC as it's only one step above in the ladder as per the NICE analgesic guidelines.

Getting switched back to tramadol from codeine shouldn't be too difficult, just ask your GP. But tramadol is a bit of a nasty drug to be on long-term as you may have noticed already. In the UK we have dihydrocodeine which is about 2.5x stronger than codeine and personally I get way better subjective effects from it. After having surgery dihydrocodeine helped my pain levels significantly. I regard it highly. I doubt it'd be a problem to get moved from codeine to DHC as it's only one step above in the ladder as per the NICE analgesic guidelines.

the first opiate I ever had was morphine and it was great but it was when I was in A&E in the worst pain ever. But I know codeine and similar things get Turned in to morphine inthe liver?.

I used to love the euphoria of tramadol but not tried much other than codeine, an America once offered two of their oxy pills when we were both in hospital but I declined her offer.
Either way I might talk to them and see what I can take instead as the codeine doesn’t work so much now and I feel more sensitive to pain

I was on Dihydrocodeine for back ache years ago but stopped after a week as bad constipation

Then I was on tramadol for GAD then when I quit and needed a painkiller a few months later the doctor gave me 8mg/500mg Co codamol, what a piss take, then I asked for Dihydrocodeine (and a laxative lol) or tramadol again, she called me a drug seeker, then when I said "but I was the one to tell you to stop my Dihydrocodeine and tramadol and put me on mirtazapine"

So she gave me 100 x 30mg codeine and they was shit

I took 18 in one day (itched so bad I scratched my skin off) then a few the next but felt nothing, still had backache and no high

I'd not start tramadol again the withdrawal is NASTY as it has SNRI qualities and synthetic opioid all it one neat pill

Either way I might talk to them and see what I can take instead as the codeine doesn’t work so much now and I feel more sensitive to pain

Not making any judgements here just stating fact: what you are describing is opioid tolerance and dependence. Switching to DHC will probably help you, but eventually you will build tolerance to that too and want something stronger. This is in the very nature of opis and there's not much you can do about it.

If your pain is such that it requires opioids for treatment, you have to accept this. If alternatives exist, I mean stuff like physical therapy rather than other drugs, it's a good idea to explore that.

Not making any judgements here just stating fact: what you are describing is opioid tolerance and dependence. Switching to DHC will probably help you, but eventually you will build tolerance to that too and want something stronger. This is in the very nature of opis and there's not much you can do about it.

If your pain is such that it requires opioids for treatment, you have to accept this. If alternatives exist, I mean stuff like physical therapy rather than other drugs, it's a good idea to explore that.

I know about tolerance, it took me a few years to get there with codeine, but it never seemed to happen with tramadol or at least not as quick.

Tramadol is also longer acting and works on pain through other neurotransmitters rather than just the mu-receptor. I was a tramadol addict for over 10 years and while I can say there is tolerance after a few days to the opioid effect, there is still some sort of effect that shines through thanks to it's other unique pharmacologies, even after tolerance is built and may also still offer some pain relief. Hope you were able to get back to a med that helps.