• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol vs Codeine (dosing)

MrFruit

Ex-Bluelighter
What do you prefer? Tramadol or Codeine?
Explain why as well, and the dosage and the difference when it comes to feelings

i'm new to this website so if there's already a thread about this, excuse me, link me to it

Neither do a single thing for me even at the ceiling doses. Tramadol is twice as potent as codeine, but Codeine turns into morphine which is much better than O-desmythltramadol.

Codeine will give you a more legit, truer opiate/opioid high. Tramadol, unlike codeine won't cause a positive for opioids on a standard drug test. Tramadol's high is a little more stimulating and obviously different from normal opiates/opioids. I much prefer tramadol to codeine because codeine doesn't last nearly long enough for my tastes. At the end of the day what really matter most though is WHY you're taking them. And regarding tramadol - some love it others hate it, not much of a middle ground for people who's tried it. If you're going for recreational use and don't want to worry about failing a drug test, tramadols the way to go imo. I also feel like codeine has more side effects, but that's just me (and some side effects like itching feels kind of good).

IMO Codeine is great for s/one without a tolerance. I'm allergic to it, so can't say. Tramadol does nothing for me and many others. I suppose if you are looking to get high either one is a good starting point, however opioids are a tunnel you'd be better off avoiding. Why are you taking these? To get high or relieve pain?

Tramadol by a landslide. Sure, codeine is metabolized into morphine, but at a very low percentage. The high is very short-lived and accompanied with heavy itches.
A tramadol high lasts you the whole day, is more mood-lifting and euphoric, and is initially stimulating but eventually sedating. I also find it to be the better analgesic.

EDIT: Oh, and doses. For analgesia (the kind not requiring me to go to the hospital), I would take 90-120mg codeine or about 100-150mg of tramadol.
For proper recreational effects, I would take 300-390mg of codeine (without tolerance), but wouldn't dose any higher because of nasty itches and nausea without pronounced increase in euphoria. As for tramadol, I consider 400-700mg a recreational dose, though 700mg starts to get a bit... zappy. Also, doses above 400mg are NOT RECOMMENDED, and even 300-400mg doses have been known to produce seizures in people. Taking a low dose of an anticonvulsant benzo is a good way to combat this, but at the risk of increased CNS depression.

For dosing tramadol, it's best to space them out - say, take 100mg at once, and take more in 50mg increments at half-hour intervals - this both prolongs the high and improves the bioavailability, leading to more O-desmethyltramadol, the potent metabolite. It also reduces nausea, 400mg of tramadol at once is not so yummy on the tummy.

Last edited:
I have tried codeine at the ceiling dose and tramadol in doses of two of probably the strongest prescription pills available in the UK only once. I like codeine it is a good short lasting thing that if your sitting in your own house chilling after a hard day, doesn't hurt to nod once and a while while youe watching a film or something. My tramadol high was amazing though, I was also drinking a lot and smoking weed but the amount of euphoria was unreal, I was so happy. Hope I can get my hands on some again in the near future.

Tramadol works better for me so that, but i get a pretty good feeling from a relative low dose Codeine too, not high, but i have so many injuries etc. that the pain relief is like someone had just opened a valve.

I think codeine works better for me...that could just be my insane tolerance to tramadol...1200mg in one 24 hour period once and didn't have a seizure...albeit I was dosing 4 tablets at a time about every 4 hours...

Love codeine over tramadol.......I dont get much of an opiate high off tramadol no matter how much I take but with codeine, the opiate high is definitely there. Codeine is better imo.................

Codeine! Fuck tramadol.

Even though it does nothing for me, its a true opiate/opioid, unlike tramadol. Codeine was the opiate that took my "opioid virginity" away. The first time I got high off any opiate was from about 300 mg of codeine back when I was 16, and damn it was an incredible high. It felt so fucking awesome and after that I just never let go of the opiates. I gradually went to abusing hydrocodone and oxycodone (at this point, codeine would still work), but it wasn't until I got into the morphine, dilaudid, and heroin that codeine just stopped working. I'm now almost 28 (I'll be 28 in July) and I'm on 130 mg/day methadone. Almost 12 years of opiate addiction, 8 of them shooting up - all came from an incredible experience with codeine back when I was 16 years old.

Since this is basically a dosage comparison thread, I'm going to move it over to Basic Drug Discussion

OD --> BDD

Tramadol takes all day before you get any noticeable analgesia from it; by spacing doses out to metabolise into ODT.

Codeine metabolises into 10% morphine, and a greater majority of a different chemical that's actually responsible for most of its effects. 400mg is the ceiling dose for metabolisation into morphine; not the other component (bummer that I can't remember what it actually is..).

Also - codeine works MUCH more quickly than Tramadol does.

The SNRI component of Tram should also be taken into consideration.

Tramadol takes all day before you get any noticeable analgesia from it; by spacing doses out to metabolise into ODT.

Codeine metabolises into 10% morphine, and a greater majority of a different chemical that's actually responsible for most of its effects. 400mg is the ceiling dose for metabolisation into morphine; not the other component (bummer that I can't remember what it actually is..).

Also - codeine works MUCH more quickly than Tramadol does.

The SNRI component of Tram should also be taken into consideration.

Actually, recent research shows that 80% of codeine is conjugated with glucuronic acid to Codeine-6-glucuronide (C6G), which is the metabolite that is most responsible for codeine's analgesia, although the relative contributions of codeine-6-glucuronide and morphine to analgesia are unclear and highly debated. Only 5% (not 10% ) of a codeine dose is O-demethylated to morphine, which in turn is immediately glucuronidated at the 3- and 6-position and excreted renally. A portion (15% ) of the codeine is N-demethylized to norcodeine.

Codeine is not a morphine prodrug like heroin is.

The rush of codeine is more intense. Only problem : Effects are much more shorter than an equivalent Tramadol dose.
It depends what sort of trip you are looking for...