• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids tramadol question- for withdrawals

Sasha88

Bluelighter
Hi guys
so I'm in oxy withdrawals again... I just finished up some embeda (soaked them) to help me through and soon it'll be time to use the last of my narcotic type meds... 5 50mg tramadols.

what's the best way for me to potentiate them? Is there a way to make the best use of them? White grapefruit juice? Plugging?

any advice would be great.

thanks!
sasha

Thank u. Very helpful!

btw I did UTSE but I didn't find anything about plugging... in sure it's buried somewhere on the site but I'm in bad withdrawals and needed some help sorting through everything to find the best information. Thanks

Last edited:
do not plug them it doesn't provide any benefit. The best way to take them is to eat them in staggered increments. I'm not sure what your tolerance is like but eat 1 pill every 20 minutes until you get to your desired dosage.

You don't want to inhibit any liver enzymes as tramadol has to be metabolized into O-desmethyltramadol by the liver to have any opiate activity. Just take the pills in a staggered manner with nothing else, maybe some tums if you need to settle your stomach.

do not plug them it doesn't provide any benefit. The best way to take them is to eat them in staggered increments. I'm not sure what your tolerance is like but eat 1 pill every 20 minutes until you get to your desired dosage.

You don't want to inhibit any liver enzymes as tramadol has to be metabolized into O-desmethyltramadol by the liver to have any opiate activity. Just take the pills in a staggered manner with nothing else, maybe some tums if you need to settle your stomach.

Thanks so much! I plan to stagger them every 30 min. I take about 100+ mg of oxy a day. But I find even doses of 100mg tramadol to help with withdrawal. I figured I'd take 50 and then 30min later another 50. I know I won't get high... just looking for an alleviation (to some degree) of withdrawal for a day or two.

Thanks!

Glad I could help! I also find tramadol a great help for withdrawals as well as a viable means to get high. Tramadol has a long half life so in your case I would try to space out the dosages as much as possible to get the longest period of relief you can.

Really depends on your tolerance to the oxy. To be honest and sorry to say, 5 X 50mg trams aint gonna do shite for the duration of the oxy withdrawal. Think about it, how many oxys have you taken to get to this point where it puts you into withdrawal, now compare that with a measly 5 pills that are ridiculously weaker and are needed for 4-6 days.

It would really help to know how much oxy you were using and for how long as well as how much embeda you used and at what dose.

If you were using only small amounts of oxy then you should be moderately ok using the embeda and tramadol to wean off.

Hi all-
thanks FH! Appreciate the help.

Numb and JB- yeah I know I'm screwed. I'm just looking for a little help from these weak ass pills.

I take about 100+ mg oxy/day. I now have 4 50mg tramadols. For me, I find I can take 2 and it staves off withdrawals for hours and hours. So I was gonna take one soon and take the next in 30 min... and save the others for tomorrow so I can get through work easier.
i was on some embeda (soaking them) the past few days to help (I had 14 30mg embeda and did 5 one day, then four, then 3, then 2). and now I'm dropping to trams for two days and then it's just Kratom, neurontin and benzos etc for about a week til I get my script.

i shockingly don't feel awful right now. I don't know if it's the tramadol lingering from last night (100mg tramadol lasts a long time for me. Not really a high, but an alleviation of symptoms for like 6 hours minimum.

Hey-- Would taking the tramadol with Kratom help??

EDIT- I did some research and see there's cross tolerance between tramadol and Kratom. I won't mix them. Withdrawals suck ass. I wish the sky would rain down Oxys.

thanks!

Last edited:
Fuck it. Im taking them all today. I can't hold in to them, as crappy as they are. Maybe MAYBE 200mg spread out over 45min or so will help me out. I had taken two which usually is ok to keep my withdrawals under control but I'm still craving and im at work so im just gonna finish them off. Looks like tomorrow is Kratom and neurontin. Ugh. I just gotta get through this next week and a half

Fuck it. Im taking them all today. I can't hold in to them, as crappy as they are. Maybe MAYBE 200mg spread out over 45min or so will help me out. I had taken two which usually is ok to keep my withdrawals under control but I'm still craving and im at work so im just gonna finish them off. Looks like tomorrow is Kratom and neurontin. Ugh. I just gotta get through this next week and a half

When you say "craving", do you mean that you are in a significant amount of pain from WD's so you feel the need to take your tramadol? Or do you mean like the classic definition of the term...as in, you don't really need to take any more opioids bc your pain level is tolerable at the moment but you are still craving the high you get from them?

I take about 100+ mg oxy/day. I now have 4 50mg tramadols. For me, I find I can take 2 and it staves off withdrawals for hours and hours. So I was gonna take one soon and take the next in 30 min... and save the others for tomorrow so I can get through work easier.
i was on some embeda (soaking them) the past few days to help (I had 14 30mg embeda and did 5 one day, then four, then 3, then 2). and now I'm dropping to trams for two days and then it's just Kratom, neurontin and benzos etc for about a week til I get my script.

This tapering regimen you describe above seems about as good as you could do it with the medications you had on hand. That's pretty much exactly what I would have done in your situation.

i shockingly don't feel awful right now. I don't know if it's the tramadol lingering from last night (100mg tramadol lasts a long time for me. Not really a high, but an alleviation of symptoms for like 6 hours minimum.

thanks!

The above quote is evidence that your tapering schedule actually did help you and probably saved you from a fair amount of pain. Well done.
Good Luck!

*I apologize but I have no clue what you mean when you say that you "soaked" your embeda. That's not consuming them or putting them in your body in any way. If you don't mind, could you please elaborate on that...at the very least for my benefit.*

Last edited:
hey JB!
Gosh you made me feel better... just cause I'm scared for tomorrow when i only have kratom and neurontin... but you are right. i may have actually done a good taper this time and maybe i wont be tooooo bad off tomorrow. i should be a pro by now this happens to me every two weeks when i run out of my script. i always have embeda when i run out from my husband...he gets to fill right when we both usually are about to go into withdrawal and i use that to help me. but i usually dont have tramadol, so that's where my question about it came from... anyway they are long gone now!

I feel dumb for giving in to my cravings... i wasn't in a lot of pain. thats not why i took them . I just classic withdrawal cravings. i wanted to have a chance to maybe catch a buzz.... and the two i took didn't really help me feel much better... as far as withdrawal.... so i figured id take 200mg in total in hopes that it would bring me out of it... and it did. i feel ok for now. just a migraine... tramadols wont touch that. i get them pretty severely.). But on top of all that, i think i would have obsessed over those lousy tramadols all day... so i took them. i guess i shoddy file this under "whatever" they were just tramadol... nothing super fun.

when i say "soaked" i mean i open up the embeda capsule and let it sit in coke or lemon juice (although some say ph doesn't matter - my husband does it in water for 20 minutes and says it works for him)... anyway opening them up and putting the beads in liquid helps to release the morphine in the pills... and so little naltrexone gets released that it's ok to drink. i tend to soak it for 30min -an hour or so and it sometimes gives me a little high and for sure it takes away withdrawals. anyway i drink it all, including the little pellets. just dont crush them!!! there are a few other threads about this too. btw i let some soak overnight and i personally didn't find any greater effect. i not sure why this is... but i find just 30-45 min or so is just fine. anyway - i hope that made sense. if you have any other questions - just let me know! :)

do you have experience with neurontin? I have read a lot of chains about it but I'm wondering if i take 600mg 3x/day, if that would be enough to help my withdrawals? my script calls for 300mg/ morning and then 300-600/ afternoon and then 600 mg at night. SO i thought if i boosted for the week (til i get my pills) to 600/3X day that this would be enough? thoughts? if you know... if not, its ok. :)

thanks for your response! I appreciate it!
Sasha

do you have experience with neurontin? I have read a lot of chains about it but I'm wondering if i take 600mg 3x/day, if that would be enough to help my withdrawals? my script calls for 300mg/ morning and then 300-600/ afternoon and then 600 mg at night. SO i thought if i boosted for the week (til i get my pills) to 600/3X day that this would be enough? thoughts? if you know... if not, its ok. :)

thanks for your response! I appreciate it!
Sasha

Actually yes I do have PLENTY of experience with Neurontin. I have been prescribed it for about 7 years now for nerve pain caused by the destruction of my L4 and L5 vertebrae.

I am prescribed 600mg's 4 times a day(a high dose...but it wasn't always that high). I never really "felt" anything from the Neurontin, but it does help my nerve pain moderately well. I have been improving the past few months so I am MUCH more active, and as a result my back gets easily overstressed and hurts like you wouldn't believe on a daily basis now and I feel that the help Neurontin provides is significantly more noticeable than it was before my activity level increased.

So, yea, I think the Neurontin will help with your WD's, but remember it's not an opioid or opioid like substance so it will only provide what I like to call "secondary relief"....it will mildly help with nerve pain and maybe even stress/anxiety caused by your WD's.

Hey JB!

I'm glad your back is doing better. It's hard to be active but not over stress your back. Is there anything you can do to help alleviate the stress your back is under? Like after a long day does ice or heat help you? Are u able to possibly qualify for any surgery? I know that's usually a last resort for most since there's no guarantee that you'll be better after the surgery than before.

I have DDD (degenerative disk disease) and it use to be awful. I feel out of working out cause I'd always overwork my back and the pain was just too much.
i was diagnosed with that at 16..., as I've gotten older they doctors said it would get better, and it has.

Ive been doing acupuncture for several pain issues and I find it helps a lot... have you tried this for your back? When mine was a real mess, acupuncture helped more than any pain meds... just a thought...,

im on neurontin now for nerve pain from Shingles I got 2 months ago. It really did a doozy on me...and I'm like 20 years too young to get the vaccine.
Yeah im not looking to get high from it, just to help my withdrawal since I gotta work. Thanks for the info!

Hey JB!

I'm glad your back is doing better. It's hard to be active but not over stress your back. Is there anything you can do to help alleviate the stress your back is under? Like after a long day does ice or heat help you?

I use nicotine from an e-cig to manage my back pain/tightness/spasms when it acts up from too much exercise. It seems to be the only drug other than my benzo's, opioids, and Neurontin that is good at helping with this.
I also do certain stretching exercises to keep my body/muscles as limber as possible.

Are u able to possibly qualify for any surgery? I know that's usually a last resort for most since there's no guarantee that you'll be better after the surgery than before.

No. When my vertebrae were destroyed and I was in the hospital I was told(after consulting surgeons) that there simply didn't exist a surgery that would benefit me except for maybe putting a pain pump in my abdomen, and I chose not to do that.

I have DDD (degenerative disk disease) and it use to be awful. I feel out of working out cause I'd always overwork my back and the pain was just too much.
i was diagnosed with that at 16..., as I've gotten older they doctors said it would get better, and it has.

I am also diagnosed with DDD...at least I know that is what they told me is one of my diagnoses and it is listed in my medical records. I'm assuming it's related to my spinal infection which caused my disability...and if it is, it most likely actually IS degenerative.

Ive been doing acupuncture for several pain issues and I find it helps a lot... have you tried this for your back? When mine was a real mess, acupuncture helped more than any pain meds... just a thought...,

No, I have not tried acupuncture yet. But to be fair I was mostly stuck in bed for several years and have been taking LARGE amounts of prescribed Fentanyl, Hydromorphone, Klonopin, Temazepam, Marinol(THC), and Neurontin bc of the intensity of my pain so I doubt I would have noticed the beneficial effects of acupuncture through all those meds(although maybe I would have). And I have lowered my opioid dose considerably in the past months so maybe I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the info!

No problem. Good luck and feel better!

Last edited:
Hey JB- thanks for sharing. That's great that you've cut down on all those meds. I know how hard that can be....especially when you're really in pain.
Yeah Acupuncture , for me, was amazing. Something to think about... the first time I went I couldn't sit for more than 10 min my spasms were so bad (either from a slipped disk or torn fibers, I can't remember). After I left the appt, I had ten minutes without pain, I could walk normally, and I started crying. It had relaxed the muscles in my back. Of course the pain came back but it dissipated with each session.
Our back issues are different, but I wanted to tell you how it helped me. :)

Im sorry you've gone through all of that with your back. The fact that you can be active is amazing.

btw I like your bill mahr pic. He's the best!

be well!
sasha

(...)

Does taking tramadol this way really make it work better? It is a prodrug similarly to codeine and if you attempt to take e.g. 300mg of codeine in 6 x 50mg staggered doses you're pretty much going to waste 2/3 of the whole dose that way as the enzymes will be inhibited by the initial dose. The best way to take codeine is to take the whole dose at once, it takes many hours for enzymes to start working normally again.

^ don't knew exactly how tramadol works to the best of my understanding it's said to potentiate itself to some degree. So taking staggered doses will give time for the first dose get into your system so It can potentiate the next one