• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol - potential interactions w/ SS + SNRIs

knidsrok

Bluelighter
If someone were taking an average dose of and SSRI and the SNRI atomoxetine daily, what would be the potential for serious interactions w/ a low dose of tramadol -- say 100-150mg?

Bad idea?

Tramadol lowers the seizure threshold, which increases the risk for seizure. Combining two or more SSRIs also carries the risk for serotonin syndrome, which is awful and potentially lethal. Tramadol is known to have SNRI and possibly SSRI properties.

Tramadol should be a no go for you at this time.

Thanks for the sound advice. I knew it wasn't worth the risks -- I just needed to hear someone else say it.

Out of curiosity, though -- can anyone explain how, given that therapeutic levels of two commonly prescribed medications can lead to serotonin syndrome, people who mix reckless amounts of MDMA, cocaine, etc., frequently while taking SSRI's, don't get serious serotonin syndrome like every time?

Because cocaine works on dopamine not seratonin and SSRI's and SNRI's simply prevent uptake of the seratonin in the brain whereas MDMA releases extra seratonin which the uptake receptors in the brain suck up thus giving you that good feeling.

The brain's pretty complicated. cocaine actually blocks the reuptake(think: recycling) of almost all your the neurotransmitters in your brain. MDMA gets most of its power by directly releasing the neurotransmitters, and another good kick by reversing the reuptake of neurotransmitters.

So cocaine blocks the little cars that carry the feel good neurotransmitters from going back to the garage. MDMA makes the cars go into the garage and pull out the neurotransmitters. So cocaine actually competes against the high of MDMA, and would probably lower the levels of serotonin in your brain if you combined the two.

Finally, the term "SSRI" stands for -Selective- Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. So each SSRI favors a certain garage, sometimes exclusively one garage. If another drug comes into your brain and decides it wants use the same garage, bam serotonin syndrome. Some SSRIs will undoubtedly cause serotonin syndrome when combined with ectasy; but not all of them.

Because of the short action of cocaine, serotonin syndrome is outright unlikely with SSRIs. I'd never combined an SSRI with tramadol or ectasy, however.

Okay, my answer is long winded. I just want to add that people who do reckless amounts of MDMA probably don't have enough serotonin in their brain at all to get serotonin syndrome. The garages are all empty.

cocaine blocks the reuptake of serotonin, dopamine and noradrenaline (monoamines)

ssri's block the effects of mdma

tramadol and ssri's work through different methods so together there is risk of serotonin syndrome. avoid that combo

no two people are the same- i have myself taken tramadol and mdma together and was fine, you however may end up in hospital or roll round on the floor having a seizure. all in all risks are unpredictable hence the term risk (as opposed to guaranteed outcome 100% )

negative. if one MUST take this combination, good harm reduction advice would be to take half of the planned 100mg dosage of tramadol, spaced as far from your typical SNRI and SSRI dosage to see how one would react. if in the case of SS or seizure, it is recommended to have on access cyproheptadine, IV/IM/oral fluids and/or a low-dose benzodiazepine. these should be administered, if all possible in a medical setting.

Thanks for the sound advice. I knew it wasn't worth the risks -- I just needed to hear someone else say it.

Out of curiosity, though -- can anyone explain how, given that therapeutic levels of two commonly prescribed medications can lead to serotonin syndrome, people who mix reckless amounts of MDMA, cocaine, etc., frequently while taking SSRI's, don't get serious serotonin syndrome like every time?

Somehow Tramadol seems to have extra risk's making combinations with a lot of drugs unpredictable and dangerous. It is like a pharmacology factory. Ihibiting norepinefrine reuptake, releasing some serotonin, mild nmda antagonism, opiod activity and working on gaba by lowering it. Last one is probably a big contributor for causing seizures. Please correct if necessary. A disaster if you ask me when used any other way then prescribed.

Strangely enough SSRI's and Cocaine mostly just cancel out MDMA. Tramadol is dangerous with all three of them. I remebered a Tramadol related death with one of the Wu Tang Clan members.
Cause of death of old dirty basterd combo of cocaine and tramadol

Stay safe knidsrok.