• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Tramadol - popularity in the US?

How much Tramadol do you need for a pleasant buzz? I usually take about 35mg cut out of an OP-80 for a nice buzz and combine that with a 6 pack and 1mg Xanex. Would 100mg Tramadol do anything for me? And I take a really low dose SSRI, which I heard doesn't mix well with Tramadol. If I skipped my SSRI for like 2 days could I try Tramadol

.and you said oxycodone is not an opiate lol im not even gonna bother respondind the that..you should know what your talking about and not just make up things and think we are that dumb]

Actually oxy is a semi-synthetic opioid as he pointed out. I think what he meant went totally over your head. There are plenty of great resources on this very site such as OD and BDD. Here's a couple links outside of bl which may be of assistance.

Oxycodone and opioid

Tolerance is a very relative thing. Anyways I used to think the same way that Khad did. One day this dude I work with came in with a handful of tramadol and my opinion was changed. I am a tolerant user and I'm not saying I was fucked up but, it was better than nothing and probably better than codeine IMO. As Goa said I too have a decent tolerance to oxy.

I'm starting to wonder when the last time the nay sayers have had tramadol and at what dose. A lot of people are making recommendations but, few are saying that they've had it.

Man, an alcoholic who drinks a 1.75 liter of Bacardi everyday dont need to try drinkin one Smirnoff Ice to know that it aint gonna get him fucked up or do nothin for him.

Im curious wat your "decent tolerance" to oxy is? mg wise? That might explain a lil better why you can get somethin off tramadol.

Put it to you like this, back years ago when I used to work as a housekeeper and take oxy for my back so I could work, I could still KINDA feel it if i sniffed a 20. A co worker gave me a hanful of tramadols cuz i had no oxys one day and i ate 5 of em (they were 50mg IIRC) and I didnt feel NOTHIN. Nothin at all. It gave me a tiny bit of pain relief, but less than the amount Id get from a prescription NSAID like Toradol (had a script for it once) but that was it--no high, no buzz, not even a "slightly elevated mood."

These days Im on 90mg of methadone a day. Even after over a year of not touchin dope, I can shoot a couple bags and not feel it. I aint gotta do it (tramadol) to know as a fact, no question, that tramadol now would be even more useless than it ever was in the past to me.

You can keep defendin it but the truth is to veteran opiate/OID (does that satisfy you aethel?) user/addict the shit is worthless. If you get anything worth somethin from it, then you aint got much of anything as far as tolerance goes. Just becuz its "better than codeine" still dont mean shit cuz codeine is just as worthless to most of us so that aint sayin much.

IDK wat a 'tolerant user' means to you but I aint sure how high your tolerance is if you can say that much praise for tramadol. Im sure theres some exceptions, people who got some kind of liver enzyme difference that makes em process it in a way that makes it seem stronger to them, or somethin, maybe you one of those, who knows. But the reality is still that for the majority of people with any kind of decent tolerance, and pretty much every user who been an addict or is an addict, aint gonna have no use for messin with tramadol.

If somebody comes on here and says "i gotta sniff 3 OC80's to get a little buzz and I love tramadol!" then maybe Ill start to believe it can be worthwhile for anybody other than people who only need 15mg of oxy to get off. Til then tho, my opinion aint changin.

"dont knock it til you try it" dont apply all the time. some shit you aint gotta try to know it aint no good for you. would you tell a IV dope addict "dont underestimate a 10mg percocet, it gets me high, it might do somethin for you too! dont be a hater without tryin it." Hell na. Same here yo.

Moral of the story is if you can get somethin off tramadol your tolerance cant be all that significant, so usin that as 'proof' of how good the shit is dont really do much for your case.

My tolerance is about 320 mg at the most in a day. I use a few times a week tops and supplement that with suboxone. Like I said I wasn't fucked up but, it was better than nothing.

Point is the OP asked a question. I think people should be able to ask questions with out being subjected to 6 people telling them "desperate teenage boys may take them" and "you want a energy opiate snort a oxy" and shit like that. It's not conducive to an actual discussion IMO.

I was affected by tramadol with a tolerance. Just like Goa and DavisK. Just because you think something sucks doesn't mean everyone else should. Again I'm not saying that I'd take it in place of oxy or even hydro. I don't think anyone is. Alls I'm saying is it has given me a little something just like suboxone gives me a little something.

Last edited:
^^ thanks johnny
i am also one that doesnt mind taking tramadol.........when i had nothing and had about a 250+ mg of oxy a day tramadol was amazing one because it took away most of the WD but also because it gave you a slight buzz..............i think that even with a tolerance there is a select few that can still get something out of tramadol and totally aggree that the normal people from the h thread just bashin on tramadol is uncalled for especially since this isnt YOUR thread as you put it chinky

When i had to work out of town and couldnt get enough trams i would always rather spend my money on some trams in case i ran out while out of town just to hold me over til i could get back to town

Last edited:
It's definitely (at least, in my experience - in the midwest, if that makes a difference) not a lack of prescribing (Tramadol) in the U.S., but a lack of desire for the drug users to 'use' - or even accept the medical suggestion of being prescribed Tramadol, as yes, the patient definitely has a say in what they go home with.

I am a pain patient and have been prescribed Trams by my Orthopedic Doc, my General Practitioner/PCP. They are usually the first on the chain of medications that are 'tried/tested' for various pain conditions.

I have a nice amount on reserve from previous prescription/s that I keep in CASE I ever get so (I'd have to reach a VERY severe point in my despair) desperate that there is no other option. The first time I took Trams I got SUPER messed up, not knowing what to expect. The buzz is unlike any other substance I've tried (and it lasted forEVER!), but now that I have quite the opiate tolerance it has no value other than relieving some w/d symptoms.

i took tramadol for the first time this week. it wasn't anything special. i have had a high tollerance for opiates for quite a while now so that might have had a lot to do with it. It was basically the same high as with hydros or oxy but it took a lot more of them at once to get it. I had to take 5 or 6 trams to get to where 3 hydros take me.

When I was younger I scored a whole bottle of trams and would take a bunch of them before bed. Years later, I got a script for them for pain and they sucked. I don't know why they didn't affect me the same way because i wasn't doing anything at the time. I asked the doctor for something stronger and got percocets, then my doc retired and I got a new doc and she cut me off. She wanted to put me back on tramadol. I said forget it. I went back to here maybe 2 or 3 more times but I didn't like her. I don't think she believed I was in pain.

IME, tramadol is not very popular, i think due to the tolerance and negative re-dosing effects building up quickly. that said, i enjoy it every now and then.

Actually Tramadol is considered to be a quasi-opiate

Officially it's refered to as an "atypical opiod", atypical in this case means there's something basically different about it. This drug is still not regulated in Canada (why it is in the US is beyond me), doctors will still throw boxes and boxes of samples at you. I hate it, makes me feel cold yet clammy and sweaty, nauseous, no euphoria. It's like having only the unpleasant side effects of opiates without any of the benefits. I can see where it's useful for withdrawal though. If I was an opiate addict I'd probably appreciate it more be it just for that. Another reason I disalike it is that unless you take certain precautions you may end up being prescribed tramadol instead of codeine, which is not a plus. Does nothing for pain on me.

especially the pleasure center receptors for opiates, which even codiene effects, as does oxycodone,hydrocodone,morphine and so on.

And even poppyseed tea :D it's morphine after all. As for codeine it may be of little value to IV opiate users (other than for withdrawal purposes) but for those like me who are only occasional users of mostly oral but preferably strong opiates to enjoy for the buzz (I only "use" IV opiates when they shoot me up with Fentanyl for surgery and then with Dilaudid, Demerol or morphine post-surgery), a high dose or oral codeine is a nice ride.

So read up in a Pharmacology book about Tramadol before you claim, falsely that it is an opiate like oxycocodne!! It is not a true opiate , only a synthetic quasi-opiate type drug.

To be fair there are only three true opiates: morphine, codeine, thebaine. "opiates" that use one of those three as base are called "congeners": all the "codone" drugs are codeine or thebaine based (you can make them with both although in its natural state thebaine has no narcotic effect) plus buprenorphine and a few others including Etorphine. Morphine derivatives are less common because morphine itself is quite potent, but of limited effectiveness when taken orally, unlike codeine and its multiple derivatives. Apart from hydromorphone (Dilaudid) and heroin morphine derivatives are not common. Because morphine can be synthetized (unlike codeine), hydromorphone can also be entirely synthetic, which is the case for most illicit stock. The third class of opium-like drugs are those that are entirely synthetic, known as "opiods". Because they can be precisely tailored these include the most powerful opiate agonists known to medecine, such as fentanyl citrate. It also includes meperidine (Demerol) and tramadol. So tramadol is just on the long list of painkillers that pharmacologists have attempted to develop that would be less addictive, this one being more of an experiment to determine if the pleasure centers are associated with the analgesic effect of opium-like drugs. However the case of loperamid has most decisively demonstrated that they are. Loperamid (Immodium) is almost the chemical clone of meperidine (Demerol) but was engineered to not cross the blood-brain barrier. As such it still retains the ability to constipate and cure the runs but has no analgesic properties. However when manipulated to cross the BBB it has strong analgesic properties and gets you high as a kite. That why tramadol will likely never work properly, except maybe as a cough suppressant.

Also buprenorphine is a partial opiate agonist/antagonist, meaning you get only a small amount of an opiate "buzz" from it

It is nonetheless far better than tramadol.

and morphine when taken orally has a very low bioavalibilty compared to oxycodone and hydrocodone, so taking 100 mg of morphine orally will give you about 20 mg of actual morphine tops in your bloodstream. Compared to 95%+ oral bioavailabilty of hydrocodone or oxycodone , morphine is not really a "stronger opiate" Orally compared to most like Oxycodone. Try a oxycodone or hydrocodone or even a Demerol tablet and you will see the effects of opiates.

As the suffix implies "codone" drugs are codeine based and therefore share its high oral potency. I guess their effects varies from individual to individual. Hydrocodone has very little effect on me, Oxy is much better but meperine (Demerol) is by far my favorite even though it is the most addictive of the three. Meperidine is an opiod, 100% synthetic. As for oral morphine sometimes I get nothing off Statex sometimes a strong buzz. Insufflating is more effective.

Hello, I'm new here, and this thread might be slightly misplaced, but I hope that if so you won't go all ballistic on me!

As I've understood, tramadol isn't a very popular opioid in the states. Here in Europe, it is, au contraire, much used and liked in general. I've even had discussions with Americans preferring codeine to tramadol, a position I simply cannot fathom.

Of course, tramadol doesn't pack as big of a punch as oxycodone, morphine or smack, but personally I find the speedy yet full of euphoric opioid-bliss type of high very attractive. It also has a nice duration and potential for redoseage.

Is it about prescription frequency, availability of better stuff or does the general American drug user simply not like tramadol?

Opioids with deleriant effects have always been more popular in Europe, must be a cultural thing ;)

As for codeine being more popular in the Sates (and Canada as well btw) it's simply because even though less potent than morphine the high it procures is unmistakably related. To individuals with low-tolerance a high dose of oral codeine (say 100mg) will hit pretty hard. Codeine's reputation of being a weak opiate is inaccurate. It is weaker than morphine on a per-mg comparison and because it is less effective against pain and cough, but its psychoactive properties when taken orally are similar if enough is ingested. Codeine on its own is rarely prescribed to outpatients because it a Schedule I drug almost everywhere, but codeine compounds are less severely controlled so physicians prescribe those instead.

Last edited:
I've never seen a Tramadol in my life but I live in a pretty opiate heavy area

A lot of people never even heard of it actually

lol first sentence makes no sense unless you know what Im saying

that sentence makes no sense either

when everyone can find oxys/vics/heroin, Tramadol is kind of an afterthought

or neverthought

I used to get it in conjucntion with hydrocodone for back pain. Its ok for pain. Not much of a narcotic in my opinion. I dont think its even scheduled to be honest. Now if you take alot you get a little bit of euphoria and seems to aleviate mild dope sickness, but I wouldnt pay more than 25 cents for one tramadol tablet. Looking back I remember taking like 20 at a time trying to catch a buzz and one time I got hurt really bad skating and took like 30 before going to the doctor to get stitched up.