• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Tramadol first time and some worries

msedward43

Bluelighter
Ok, if you've read about some of my adventures before you know I have a chronic pain condition called CPPS (usually a fairly benign condition, but I'm in the top 2% of sufferers who deal with it constantly... yay me)... well, I got a bit hooked on Oxy and got myself off (thank god I'm off that stuff, still deal with the occaisonal craving but nothing I can't live without). Long story short I got a test script of Tramadol because it's "non addicting" according to my dr. I take it home and figure might as well give it a try, so I pop 2.5 of the 10 pills (50mg trammys, script is 1-3 pills as needed twice a day). well, I took my dose right when i got up tonight (I'm a graveyard person) and went about my daily business, well, I came back to brush my teeth and saw 2.5 pills there. in my groggines I thought "oh, I haven't taken my meds yet" and popped them down... it wasn't till about an hour later that it clicked in my brain that I had taken it twice. I went back to my bottle and yup, 5 of the 10 pills were gone, not 2.5 (I must have left out the other couple pills being the absent minded guy that I am). now I've heard that staying under the 400 mg daily limit SHOULD keep seizures at bay if I'm prone to them (I did some research after I got home from the doctor), but I'm literally TERRIFIED of seizures since I drive a motorcycle and an accident caused by a seizure means I die instead of just get taken to the hospital. I know I'm probably over reacting as 250 mg's in an hour isn't THAT much from what I read, but just to be safe, if I don't take any more for the next few days should I be in the clear? and if I DO have a seizure, what time frame am I looking at before I can say "ok, I'm good". By that I mean how long after taking the pills without having one can I say "ok, not gonna have on". will it happen within hours? within 24 hours? or is it one of those things where it could be triggered randomnly in the next WEEK? Sorry about the paranoia, but I don't like the idea of hurting myself or visiting the ER

Last edited:
It should be out in a few days. If you start feeling odd in the head, call anambulance, ASAP.

you're not going to have seizures from only 250mg of tramadol, so don't worry about that. If you did have a seizure it would be around the peak effect of the drug so maybe 2-4 hours in, any later and you're out of the danger zone

usually people need to seriously exceed the "400mg limit", I've known people who have taken gram+ quantities and been OK (doesn't mean you should do it). I have a suspicion that it's hard to induce seizures with tramadol alone, and most seizures happen in people who are predisposed to them or combining tram with other drugs.

Please don't call 911 at the slightest feeling of weirdness, if you are prone to anxiety then you'll feel weird just at the suggestion....

gotcha, thanks for the info. I just read a few instances on drugs.com and a few other places where they said seizures were reported with as little as 200 mgs in some people. I'm 13.5 hours since taking it and besides floating higher than a kite no ill effects. I was pretty sure I was safe, but just wanted to make sure since I work from home and have the ability to stay home off the motorycle for a few days if necessary to make sure I didn't get one while driving. but sounds like I'm in the clear (most likely).

nah, I'm not the type to call 911 over the slightest thing. I was more worried about maybe having a mild seizure while driving vs. panicking and calling wolf

Yes under 400 mg is typically safe if you're not taking anything else and if you're not seizure prone. After a few hours you should be in the clear anyways.

However, I would highly reccomend you do some more research on tramadol. It's not non-addictive. If you take it regularly, WDs will be a combination of antidepressant and opioid WD. Some people tolerant it okay, some people become suicidally depressed. It's definitely not one you'd want to assume is non-addictive.

I've had seizures from Tramadol. I can tell you what to watch out for. Usually my seizures would happen only AFTER I had been feeling weird for a while. I would get involuntary twitches in my legs, arms, sometimes neck or head, violently jerking my head to the side or up and down. If you start to feel twitchy, just try to lay down and do some deep breathing.
I have medicine to stop a seizure from happening so if I feel twitchy I take that and it helps. Another thing to know is that after you've had one seizure you will probably be more prone to have another.

However I'm insanely high so take what I'm typing with a grain of salt.

yeah, my "non addictive" with quotes was kind of internet sarcasm. I read up on how Trammy's actually rather nasty when I was reading about the seizures and rolled my eyes. I swear doctor's seem to have a penchant for stuffing addictive meds down your throat.

Unless you have epilepsy, or have had more than 1 seizure in the past, 1/4 gram of Tramadol will NOT cause a seizure.

I've had 10 today!
It is...underwhelming...to say the least. But my pain is bearable, so I can't complain!

I've been using trams for 3 years now and I reached as much as 1500mg but it varies from person to person,if you are not prone to seizures you will not have them but please be carefull a friend of mine who didn't listen to my advices bought some trams and he didn't feel anything from 5 the first time and the next time he did 10 and almost died he had a seizure and after that he stopped breathing luckily he was at school and the school medic was called really fast to resuscitate him but don't play with tramadol,after the seizure this stupid guy continued to take but only 2 he states that he feels them although I don't know how If he did not feel 5 but about 2 months ago his stupid ass took 5 and had a seizure in a pharmacy when he was going to buy tramadol,he didn't even the door completly and he had a seizure,please use it just for medical reasons because it has many side effects and if you get hooked on it you will have to withdraw from an opiate and ssri too... be safe!