• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol feeling off codeine?

worldtravel

Greenlighter
I ran out of my script for Tramadol and can't get it until Saturday. Tramadol makes me very happy and hyper. I have stuff that needs to get done tomorrow and I need to have energy. I have some T3, but I've been taking 60 mg 3x a day and it just makes lethargic and hungry. I also have some promethazine with codeine, Virtussin and some OTC codeine pills. Is there any way to get that speedy feeling from codeine? It's worth mentioning that all opiates I've found give me the speed feeling ( well codeine used to)

Nope, drugs are different within the same class, and this is especially true with Codeine and Tramadol. It has very unique properties that codeine just doesn't. Raise your dose and you'll just be more sedated with more euphoria.

Firsty, Codeine is an opiate (a naturally occurring alkaloid that is derived from the opium poppy).

Tramadol is an opioid (a synthetic alkaloid created to mimic the action of a natural opiate).

Many individuals will have a wide range of opinions on which creates a better high. This is individual to yourself and personal preference is paramount. There is no set in stone answer. It depends on you!

Having abused both of these drugs and forming an addiction to them, I feel that I am adequately experienced enough to offer you my differential opinions.

Tramadol and Codeine are relatives, but their mechanism of action, binding affinities and metabolic properties differ rather substantially. Tramadol possesses the ability to act as a reuptake inhibitor of serotonin and norepinephrine (SNRI), albeit, not particularly strong, but it is present. Simply, this means that Tramadol will induce positive feelings,thus generating varying degrees of mood elevating and stimulatory effects. Euphoria presents in some users, this is debatable, as some individuals lack the enzyme CYP2D6 (the same as Codeine), which is responsible for metabolising Tram into O-desmethyltramadol, Generally speaking, Tramadol is a rather chaotic and 'dirty' high, IMHO. As I am sure that you are aware, caution should be ahered to regarding using Tramadol. The seizure risk is very real and abuse/addiction potential may be problematic (been there, very nasty).

Now then, Codeine. I myself prefer this. Albeit, a mild opiate, it is natural, bestows a genuine warmth and glow upon me and makes me feel extremely relaxed. It actually gives me euphoria that Tramadol never could quite reach. The beauty of Codeine for me, is that it is freely available in various over the counter formulations. Granted, you would have to make the effort in performing a CWE if the OTC product contained Caffeine/APAP/Ibuprofen/Aspirin or other nasties. As with Tramadol, the possibility of missing enzyme CYP2D6 (for converting Codeine to Morphine), could hinder effects.

Again, I will reiterate that caution should be at the forefront of your mind whilst using this class of drugs. The addiction risk for Codeine is potentially higher than that of Tramadol. Side effects to be mindful of are; constipation, itchiness, nausea and in severe cases, respiratory depression. Never combine Tramadol and Codeine, or any other opiate/opioid CNS depressants. Avoid that!

A good starting dose, for a naive user, would be 60-120mg, but as always, test the waters slowly. There is potential that you could be allergic to Codeine. Gauge your sweet spot. Continued or daily use of Codeine (or Tramadol) is not advised as this leads to tolerance issues and you could very easily become dependant/chase the high and increase dose, which could result in OD. I have been to the depths of hell with my opiate/opioid addiction and abuse, I beat that, but it isn't a road you want to be going down.

Stay safe.

Last edited:
I wish the U.S. had otc codeine like most of the rest of the world. If you want more of a tramdol feel, you'd be better off with kratom than codeine, imo.

Last edited:
MilzyWilzy, to put it simple when using term relatives you would have just said that codeine is the grandmother who hugs you nice and gently and Tramadol is the cousin who has all the new gadgets and blin bling and comes to piss of everyones feelings in a family reunion although he told he would behave correctly :)

DXM with your codeine may make it slightly more tramadol-like, but it still won't be as stimulating. DXM has serotoninergic properties and NMDA properties, like tramadol, so in effect to making your codeine a bit stronger, it'll add a bit of stimulation and make the buzz a little more sociable and talkative- kind of like tramadol.

To me, tramadol is the perfect morning drug, while codeine is a great late evening, relax before bed type of drug.