• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tramadol as antidepressant

Status
Not open for further replies.
But tramadol isn't a normal opioid, is mu agonist but too is an Inhibitor of the reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine. This activity turns tramadol in a very effective antidepressant. I think for depression the dosage can be of 50-100mg each eight hours.

Tramadol has the dual action, and isnt a "normal" opioid. You're right. BUT that doesnt mean it wont have all of the problems that "normal" opioids have. Even though tramadol has the SSRI action, its still a full on Mu Agonist, which means you can still build a tolerance to the Mu Opioid effects, and you can still build up a nasty physical dependency on them.

The dual action makes it "novel" in a sense, but any Mu agonist opioid w/ full agonism is going to make you feel not depressed and really really fuckin good. The SSRI effect will increase this effect somewhat, but as anyone involved with SSRIs know, SSRI's really take a few weeks-months of daily dosing to really become thereputically effective. Since taking an opioid every day for a few weeks -months is the BEST way to develop a physical dependency on them, the Mu agonism kinda takes the usefulness away from tramadols SSRI effects if one uses them like an antidepressant.

Myself and everyone else who has ever tried it in the history of forever could tell you that using opioids as an antidepressant has made their depression worse in the long run. You'll get to a point where you realize you *need* to take the tramadol to feel ok, and then you'll realize you're dependent on them. THAT will make your depression worse.

Then, the day will come where you get caught with your pants down.......for some reason you dont have any tramadol. Well, then you get the withdrawal from a mu receptor full agonist AND the discontinuation syndrome from not taking an SSRI after you've become fully "initiated" into them. That cocktail of withdrawal will really mess with your life.

the TL:DR for this is: DON'T USE TRAMADOL AS AN ANTIDEPRESSANT if you want to actually effectively treat your depression. Opioid dependence will only make all things worse, and SSRI's are only really effective if taken daily and for long periods DAILY and once you get fully initiated skipping days and not taking your SSRI will be VERY uncomfortable. Not an Ideal combination of things

Tramadol as antidepressant is not like use oxycodone or methamphetamine, tramadol is a soft mu agonist and has a mechanism SNRI such as venlafaxine or duloxetine. Tramadol can be used as antidepressant and when depression is out the doctor reduces the dose slowly so there are not problems. If ketamine is in phase 3 to be approved as antidepressant in a nasal spray

Tramadol as antidepressant is not like use oxycodone or methamphetamine, tramadol is a soft mu agonist and has a mechanism SNRI such as venlafaxine or duloxetine. Tramadol can be used as antidepressant and when depression is out the doctor reduces the dose slowly so there are not problems. If ketamine is in phase 3 to be approved as antidepressant in a nasal spray

Maybe you could show us where one single brand of Tramadol is approved for use as an Antidepressant.

I have no localized the studies but put in Google "studies about tramadol as antidepressant"

I'm not the one trying to sell Tramadol as a magic bullet for depression. I did look up google for fun and it's mostly people asking if it can be used as an AD, and those people getting almost the exact same answers you got in here.
Personally I prefer oxycodone as it has more of an energy boost than most other opioids and no SNRI WD, seizures or serotonin syndrome. But that's me.

I think this question has been asked and answered. Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.