• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol and Buspirone synergy?

leojay

Bluelighter
So, ok i know, these are both garbage substances. i have a fist full of buspirone (which is nearly worthless on it's own.) I enjoy tramadol (if i dose properly to get the most ODT) when i can't get anything stronger... for whatever reason i snorted 5mg of buspirone while on tramadol last night, and WOW! instead of just feeling dizzy and getting brain zaps, i felt a rush and strong euphoria... a reaction i'd never get from tramadol alone...

Buspar is a 5ht releasing agent right? and tramadol is an SSRI? so i imagine there is an abundance of synaptic 5ht from this combination... it is relatively short lived (about 60 minutes) and still comes with the high blood pressure and light-headed side effects... i also imagine this must be enough to cause serotonin syndrome... so be careful... i've repeated this and got the same reaction every time.

if anyone has any insight on why it seems these two together are much more potent than each part, i'd like to hear hypotheses.

i'm an experienced user, used heroin for 6 years IV daily, got clean, now only dabble with lighter opiates and low dose full agonists...
No other medication, sometimes combined with hydroxyzine(also garbage...)

Hmmm, that's the fist I've heard of someone combining those two (or really buspirone with anything for a high. Can't say that I've tried it, although I was scripted buspirone for a long time, yet rarely took it.

Sorry, I don't have much to add, but found the concept a little interesting. I also would guess it's something along the lines of your theory, although tramadol isn't an SNRI, I don't believe, even though it has properties which do effect the brain similarly.

i thought tramadol had some serotonin releasing or re-uptake inhibition action... and buspar having certain dopamine receptor sub-type antagonism, it may cause a higher concentration of dopamine to other receptors? I tried 5mg insufflated with heroin last night, and it was quite nice as well...
Its a speedy little boost... wish there was more info on buspar's mechanism of action... i don't imagine this reaction to be typical, my neuro-chemistry is unique (as is everyone's) so please do be careful, and i think its very important to note i've found no increase in positive effects with increased dosages. Less seems to be more, the side-effects can be quite horrid. YMMV

This is probably all relative, if I had access to better substances i'd toss this shit, but, its what I have, and compared to agonizing sobriety, its "quite nice"
(uneducated guess:)
I don't believe this to be a 5ht reaction anymore, since my experiment with heroin and buspar i think buspar is allowing more dopamine to bind to subtype D2 (as it has the weakest binding afinity compared to other subtypes) and this is causing a cascade effect or that particular subtype may be more directly linked to euphoria...

wish someone would chime in, but, i wouldn't click on this thread if i hadn't made it :p

So, ok i know, these are both garbage substances. i have a fist full of buspirone (which is nearly worthless on it's own.) I enjoy tramadol (if i dose properly to get the most ODT) when i can't get anything stronger... for whatever reason i snorted 5mg of buspirone while on tramadol last night, and WOW! instead of just feeling dizzy and getting brain zaps, i felt a rush and strong euphoria... a reaction i'd never get from tramadol alone...

Buspar is a 5ht releasing agent right? and tramadol is an SSRI? so i imagine there is an abundance of synaptic 5ht from this combination... it is relatively short lived (about 60 minutes) and still comes with the high blood pressure and light-headed side effects... i also imagine this must be enough to cause serotonin syndrome... so be careful... i've repeated this and got the same reaction every time.

if anyone has any insight on why it seems these two together are much more potent than each part, i'd like to hear hypotheses.

i'm an experienced user, used heroin for 6 years IV daily, got clean, now only dabble with lighter opiates and low dose full agonists...
No other medication, sometimes combined with hydroxyzine(also garbage...)
Thanks for the report.

The oral bioavailability of buspirone is only 4% while in one study that tested intranasal usage showed 16%. In addition to having ~4x more bioavailability intranasally, it comes on more acutely. As a mostly 1A agonist drug, at low blood levels it's prohedonic 1A postsynaptic agonism is countered by 1A autoreceptor agonism (the agonism of these potent autoreceptors resulting in serotonergic neurons reducing their firing rate and serotonin output); as doses increase, the postsynaptic receptors agonism grows while the autoreceptors have maxed out (neurons stop firing). This is why SSRIs (which substantially raise serotonin levels) can produce emotional blunting while MDMA (which, relatedly, isn't useful at low doses) is highly euphoric as it increases serotonin levels to extreme degrees for 1A postsynaptic, 2A, etc agonism that overcomes the maxed out autoreceptors.