• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Tramadol and Bupropion?

supersonic89

Bluelighter
Hey boys and girls,

Last week a doctor prescribed me Bupropion (Wellbutrin) to get off the tramadol / tapentadol. In my country doctors are quite ignorant about opioids / opiates and methods of desintoxication. With tapentadol I don't think there is much a risk of interaction, but with tramadol I am sure there is. I told her about this but she apparently didn't even know about it and she told me the risk was lower (mmm).

I know that Wellbutrin is not an SSRI but it must have some action on serotonin or enzymes that metabolize tramadol to o-desmethyltramadol. Maybe there is some risk for seizures or serotonin syndrome. For the same reason, so far I prefer have not taken it at all. I plan to consult a second medical opinion on the matter. What do you guys think? Or maybe I'm exaggerating?

Blessings!!

Thank guys for your answers.

So apparently there is not much interaction except the risk of seizures. The thing is that I am taking almost 1.5 grams a day of tramadol or tapentadol. That is my fear.

Does bupropion inhibit the conversion of tramadol to odesmethyltramadol? Because that would be a waste of pills since the main benefit of tramadol is its metabolite.

I would be much more worried about seizures than o-dsmt production. Once you have your first seizure you're like a million times more likely to have another. My first seizure was from a tramadol od. Had many since from tramadol, wellbutrin, and benzo withdrawls.

Even had seizures from doxepin since the first one. Just dosed ~20mg deschloroetizolam. Drinking beer and smoking herb tonight. First night with no psychedelics or entactogens in a minute.

I would be much more worried about seizures than o-dsmt production. Once you have your first seizure you're like a million times more likely to have another. My first seizure was from a tramadol od. Had many since from tramadol, wellbutrin, and benzo withdrawls.

Well I've already had two seizures/overdoses from tramadol. The problem is that I take over 1000mg every day, although now I always have diazepam or clonazepam on hand, but I think it would be crazy to mix it with Bupropion. I do not know man.

Im sure someone else will know more but I thought bupropion worked with dopamine and not serotonin.

Yeah apparently it is, but both drugs lower the seizure threshold and use the CYP2DA enzyme (I don't know if this will be a problem?)