• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Tramadol and alcohol.

Wezol5484

Greenlighter
I have a decently high tolerance for Tramadol. Recently began taking it again for knee pain. When I first started taking it a few weeks ago, I took 100mg and had around a 6 pack, and it just enhanced the buzz and felt good. That was before I have learned about the Tramadol/alcohol combo can be a bad idea.

Now to the past 24 hrs (no alcohol up until the point of this message)

4pm yesterday, I took 200 mg.
7pm took 100mg
Midnight took another 100mg
9am took another 100mg

It’s currently 11am here, and I feel the typical Tramadol affect. Well I learned today that we are going out for Sushi around 430 pm, and I love Sake.

I don’t plan on taking any more Tramadol today. This morning my knee started hurting again and that’s when I took the last 100mg.

Realistically, would I be fine to have the sake? Or should I just avoid alcohol all together.

This is all the first time I’ve heard about the Tramadol alcohol mix situation. Years ago I took Tramadol and always drank, never thought anything of it, I loved the way it made me feel. But now I’m older I guess.

Alcohol will increase the respiratory depression from tramadol, just like with any opioid. In this case, I think the larger risk is that if you have tramadol in your body during the alcohol hangover, the seizure risk is even greater than from tramadol alone...

So what is more dangerous is on the comedown side of the alcohol?

I don’t plan on getting drunk, and I almost figure between 9am and 430pm, the Tramadol buzz would be gone. Does that matter? Or is it the fact it’s still in your system.

I am not saying to do this because mixing alcohol with ANY opioid is dangerous. But for reference, I went to a Hibachi place last week on my normal daily dose of 40MG of Oxy and ordered a Large thing of Saki. I was fine but you never know. If you are sure you'd like to drink I just recommend not taking any Tramadol or other opioids anywhere close to the point in which you drink. If you can wait 6 hours that'd be great. It isn't safe but I have been okay but again I can never recommend alcohol combined with any opioid or benzo.

OP, I can tell that you're not totally experienced with Opioids so I'll give you this tid bit. If you combine Opioids with Alcohol or any other CNS depressant than you can expect a synergistic effect or a 2 + 2 = 5 type of situation if that's easier to understand. Given what you are dealing with in Tramadol, you are not likely to experience a Respiratory Depression OD, but you could possibly end up much more intoxicated than you had planned.

You are correct in that I am not experienced with opioids, at the same time, I am.

4-5 years ago, the VA prescribed me all kinds of meds. After my divorce, I got hooked and would always drink with whatever I took, and would take more than prescribed. Xanax, Codone, Ambien, Flexeril (sp?).

I never took the time to learn, I just did what I did and just got lucky. After 2 years, I hated feeling like a zombie, and hated that there were lapse in time that I couldn’t remember. I was very functioning, work, school, no criminal record, etc etc. so I stopped cold turkey. Got sick, rode it out, and haven’t taken anything since, until the last 2 weeks.

This time I want to be knowledgeable and don’t want to be dumb. I do have a high tolerance to alcohol, drink more than I really should, and am working on that too.

I think you should be okay but it's probably best to take measures to limit alcohol in case perhaps set yourself a limit in how much alcohol you will drink.

Also for future reference, remember tramadol can be dangerous in high doses as it lowers seizure threshold and can cause seizures. Also SSRI (antidepressants) also lower seizure threshold so tramadol should be used with caution in conjunction with these drugs. I believe many stimulants (ritalin cocaine amphetamines) also lower seizure threshold so again using these drugs with tramadol maybe risky. Also tramadol is also a serotonin reuptake inhibitor so combinations with other drugs that increase serotonin activity are something to watch out for as this can cause serotonin syndrome (aka serotonin toxicity) which can be fatal

Tramadol is the only thing I’m taking. I’m on my second shot of sake, sipping on it. Haven’t taken Tramadol since my 9am 100mg.

Good man. Hope your night went well! I love me some sake! ?