• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Took way too much MDMA, concerned about long term effects

JaneDoe2290

Greenlighter
So, I stupidly consumed 800mg of MDMA in the span of about 5 hours. (I'm retarded, I know.) At the end of the night I was throwing up and shivering quite a bit, despite it being warm out. I realize this dose was probably highly neurotoxic and may have some long lasting if not permanent effects. I took this dose exactly 1 week ago today. The first 3 days I threw up randomly, I would be extremely nauseated and dizzy out of my already shitty feeling haze that I was in. After day 4, nausea almost completely went away but I still would get very dizzy when walking around and sometimes just sitting down. At day 7, I'm no longer dizzy or nauseated. I think emotionally, mentally, I'll be fine. My biggest concern is this : Have I caused permanent down regulation of my receptor site? As in, will that just never grow back? I'm scared it will prevent me from tripping on stuff like LSD, or greatly reduce the effect, as I know LSD works with serotonin in different ways. I simply don't know enough about it to know. I would just eat some acid to check, but I'm going to wait at least 3-6 months before taking any drug that fucks with my serotonin. I don't care if what I've done prevents me from rolling in the future, I just want to still be able to trip. Am I worried about nothing? Neurotoxic doses of MDMA doesn't cause any long-lasting cross-tolerance with psychedelics, right? Please tell me it doesn't.

No you aren't retarded, just reckless :) you have the common sense to ask for advice here, which is not something that can be said for 90% of MDMA users.

Sounds to me like you had something else than MDMA. Though it is also possible it was MDMA because everyone reacts differently to it. If it was pure MDMA and nothing else you almost certainly won't have caused permanent, noticeable brain damage, though it is very very unhealthy. Take a good long break now, you'll be fine after a while. Also it shouldn't cause tolerance to LSD. What's more likely is that such doses will cause long term MDMA-tolerance. Probably not from doing it once but don't do that again obviously. I want to add that I once mistakenly ingested 500mg (long story) and I was on the verge of collapse, hallucinating like crazy, talking absolute nonsense, blacking out, falling asleep standing up on the dancefloor,... while I have a high tolerance for stimulants. So it would surprise me if you really ingested 800mg of 'pure' MDMA, I think it was heavily cut or something else entirely

Test your product next time, this is really important

A quote from a study (3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) neurotoxicity in rats: a reappraisal of past and present findings - Michael H. Baumann, Xiaoying Wang, Richard B. Rothman):
With regard to MDMA-induced neurotoxicity, it seems that 5-HT deficits are not always synonymous with axonal death because doses of MDMA which cause marked depletions of brain tissue 5-HT in rats (e.g., 10–20 mg/kg) are not associated with silver-positive staining, reactive gliosis, or loss of SERT protein. Like many other psychotropic drugs, MDMA is capable of producing bona fide neurotoxicity at sufficient doses (e.g., >25 mg/kg), and damage is not confined to 5-HT neurons

This means that while doses of 10-20mg/kg do cause significant depletion of 5-HT (serotonin receptors) they did not consistently produce markers of neurotoxic damage/axonal death (silver-positive staining, reactive gliosis or loss of SERT). 10-20mg/kg is about 600-1200mg for a human being weighing 60 kg. What is very important to note also is that these studies were done on rats that were given repeated injections (so not orally which has a lower bioavailability) over multiple days. So while it's not impossible to have neurotoxic damage from a single 800mg dose it seems to me it's unlikely and if damage occurred it seems to me it wouldn't be noticeable, not more so than drinking yourself almost comatose one night. However it's obvious you wouldn't want to repeat this. While neurotoxic damage from MDMA requires high doses it IS known to be neurotoxic if misused, furthermore that isn't the only factor to consider, cardiovascular stress, damage from highly raised core temperature,...

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it a lot. It was indeed MDMA, as in the only active compound within it was MDMA, however the synthesis had only yielded 84% active MDMA and 16% inert impurities according to the source. (Twas a light brown crystal), so let's say 672mg "pure" MDMA for sake of argument. I dosed in increments of 300/200/200/100 over a span of say 5 hours, possibly less, my memory is quite bad from that night as one would expect. I know the recovery is going to be long from this...It's now officially 8 days later and I wouldn't say I'm 100%, although MUCH better than the first few days which were absolutely hellish. Like I said, so long as I can still trip psychedelics I'm okay with having a tolerance to MDMA... I just hope my mood isn't affected long term either. The first few days after the roll I was crying about anything and everything, I'd hear a song and cry, I'd walk by some people and cry, and I hate feeling that whacked out. That's since gone and I feel emotionally normal, mentally a bit fried but I've been a bit fried for some time now 8) so I'm probably just noticing that more after this. Thanks again for your reply...and I'd love to hear what anyone else has to say as well. Even if you only wanna drop in to scold me :p

It was indeed MDMA, as in the only active compound within it was MDMA, however the synthesis had only yielded 84% active MDMA and 16% inert impurities according to the source
Never believe anything anyone in the drug world tells you. I'm serious, every dealer even the ones that sell bad stuff will tell you it's pure MDMA. Don't even believe what friends say, even if they used the same substance theirselves. They will just as likely not really know what they are ingesting and tell you they're sure it's MDMA. That doesn't make it so, these days in certain countries in a majority of the cases it isn't. Buy a testkit and only believe what that testkit tells you. Also if you have pills, look them up on pillreports to see if they are known, this can serve as an extra indication on top of the testkit

As for the mood swings, that will get better in time. Because this is the first and only time you abused MDMA like that it will normally not take all that long. Eat healthy, exercise and abstain from all drugs for a while and you'll be just fine

Heh, I appreciate the concern and I'm not new to the drug world, just new to beating my brain to a pulp with MDMA. It was indeed MDMA, let's say for the sake of argument I know this to be true, I don't wanna go into more detail than that. I completely agree with everything you said, but that's not the scenario this time. I've been taking 200mg 5-htp every day except for the first day after and I think it's helping, although the 5-htp seemed to cause nausea the first few days I'd taken it. You know, I also smoked an obscene amount of cigarettes that night (Somewhere around 12-13?) sometimes 3-4 in chain. The day before the roll, my buddy who also took the same as me had drink a bit, 5-6 beers or so, so my body wasn't great going into it either. I think I was just careless and stupid about my physical being and this is a wake up call that I needed, I'm not invincible and shouldn't party as if I am.

I think another thing that surprised me about how bad I felt was that I've seen other people take this much and not have these long of after effects, though these people have rolled a lot more than I and probably have a greater longterm tolerance. The highest dose I'd done prior to those was 600mg which was probably a year or more before this incident, so it's not the first time I've done a stupid dose, but everything I've done other than that has been 200-300mg at absolute max. The 600mg was considerably less intense I think as well, the quality wasn't there. The next day after that I was quite okay, almost no hangover except being fatigued. Collectively I've rolled less than 20 times in my life, maybe between 10-15 at most, all being normal 100-300mg doses minus the two big ones I mentioned. In any case, I'm done with MDMA for a long time, perhaps forever, I don't think I'm getting anything new out of it. It's more of a medicine, not a party drug for me. When I use it to party, shit like this happens. I need to respect the compound and myself more before I can go back to it.

The less you worry about how you feel the better you wi feel. Some people get trapped in the anxiety of become hypochondriac.

^
True. And that's not knitpicking, it's a pretty important distinction. No idea why I wrote it like that as I know the difference. Thanks for correcting me =D

I know first hand what its like to take ridiculously high doses and question the long term effects of it.

I started out in the beginning of my MDMA usage with normal 100-300 mg single drop dosages. But then as I started to take it way more frequently then any human should and my tolerance grew, I realized I was starting to drop a half gram just to start. I wasn't worried about it, because that was just how much I needed to take to get the same effects.

Then I started reading forums and stuff about it and realized I was normally taking really high doses and it freaked me out bad. I would buy a gram and i would usually consume it within 3 hours.

Anyways I have since stopped take MDMa. And and my use did slow my brain functioning down for a couple months afterward but even with my constant high dosage and as frequently as I did it, a few months down the road and I feel 100% again. I'm like 99% sure you didn't do any damage as long as it was real and only mdma.

I had a similar experience with "pure" MDMA powder. A lab test later showed that the powder, like yours, was roughly 80% pure with inert bi-products. I wondered about the impact of the inert bi-products, and wondered if it was possible that those bi-products contributed to the dizziness and nausea that followed for days.

I did not take as much as you either, maybe 350 mg total.

I am a long time MDMA user. I have been using MDMA for 15 years. Believe me when I say I have binged before in my younger years and NOT had the dizziness and nausea that I had from this experience. Another possible factor I took note of was that I had been chewing gum with aspartame all night. Aspartame can lead to stomach issues and sickness if you consume too much. I will be chewing natural gums in the future.

If it makes you feel any better, eventually everything was fine, although it took way longer than normal.

^ Do you still have those lab results? Curious to see what secondary products exactly were found

So it's been almost 3 weeks since I did this dose and I'm happy to report I'm pretty much 100%. I have noticed that I'm more tired than usual, and become fatigued at near random for no reason. Consequently, doing physically strenuous activities leaves me feeling fairly pooped as well, although this could be attributed to smoking cigarettes heavily for the past year and some change as well as smoking lots of cannabis and occasionally getting piss drunk. This is the longest I've remained sober for a good while, so perhaps I just didn't notice how shitty my body got because I've been pretty fucking stoned the whole time.

Side note, I have discomfort/aches in my left arm and some mild chest discomfort from time to time. I'm 23, and although I've smoked heavily I doubt it's anything serious but I have only noticed it since the MDMA. I have had these sensations before, years ago, and they lasted for a week or two. So whatever it is, likely related to my heart, seems to have been aggravated by this whomping dose of MDMA.

In relation to the above posts, I have been thinking myself what the 16% inert material was in my MDMA. I wonder if some of this stuff is potentially harmful, or even downright nasty for the human body to consume, and that it may be related to why I felt such utter shit, aside the fact that the dose was waaaaay too high.

^ don't believe the 16% impurities crap that's a sales pitch basically it means you (supposedly) had 100% MDMA HCl which is very rare and difficult to make that pure without proper pharmaceutical grade equipment. Most MDMA on the streets has a brown color to it which means it's already not 100% MDMA HCl. Mdma Hcl is the purest salt form of the drug.. any purer becomes oily and cannot be put into capsules or pills or insufflated. Mdma Hcl is chemically bound together to make it a salt which contains 84% MDMA and 16% HCl and is not an impurity.. just an molecular bonded additive to make it solidified. I highly doubt you had 100% pure MDMA HCl so don't believe anything your dealer tells you unless he's actually the chemist that synthesized it. The only one who knows how pure it is is the chemist and even he/she doesn't know without using a gas chromatography / mass spectometry lab machine to test purity. The chemist only has a ballpark estimate of the purity based on how much time they took on the synthesis and the methods used unless they have the proper equipment used to test purity (they don't because they have no need to test purity.. it's irrelevant to them. All they care about is making decent product and getting $$ for it.) Everything else is just hearsay from the chemist to the distributors to the wholesalers then the street dealers)