Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Took LSD on Sunday first time.

biggie2k4

Greenlighter
Hey guys and girls,

I took 2 blotters of LSD bought as 200ug each on Sunday night. I took both at round about 6pm but didn't feel anything until 7.30pm. Everything was going great, I was with the misses watching telly and pretty much laughing at anything and everyhing.

We started watching Harry potter, I was so engrossed in the film that the characters emotions was effecting me to the point where I was feeling what I could only imagine they were feeling. Anyways it was pretty intense. At about 9pm my gf told me to go brush my teeth as she was heading to bed. Now I've got an electric tooth brush and as I was brushing she said oh you need a new head for that. Well that was it. I went down hill from there as I thought I was cutting my head off with this tooth brush.

Through out the rest of the trip I felt like I was struggling to breathe and I had to swallow to remind myself to breathe. It was pretty scary and the more I thought about it the more harder it was to breathe.

Anyways she went to sleep about midnight and I decided to listen to some music which took the edge off and the rest of the night was fine. But I had to leave her as I felt suffocated in the room with her.

Didn't stop tripping until 7am but I felt at one with the world and overwhelmed with happiness.

I went to sleep eventually at 10 am but woke up suddenly struggling to breathe.

Now I have a few questions.

1) I know LSD is safe as in I'm not going to die from taking it but could I actually of stopped breathing?

2) this hasn't put me off exploring LSD. So is there like a safe word or something which can be said to bring you back round or make you feel safe?

3) do I need an ego death to be able to enjoy the full potential of lsd.

Thanks in advance and thanks for reading.

Sounds like a lesson about set and setting. If you're tripping in a situation where you need to be careful not to disturb someone else that's going to bring out a lot of anxiety. Staying in that situation and focussing on the feelings of anxiety will only make it worse. It seems over the course of the trip you have found out yourself that the way to solve this is to change the setting, e.g. going to another room. Psychedelics amplify our reactions to our environment, so something very simple and harmless like "Just try not to wake her up." can easily turn into overwhelming anxiety. But the good thing is it can be turned back around just as easily. I am not sure about your trouble when waking up though. Was it just like a moment of panic that quickly subsided or has it given you trouble since?

About your specific questions:

1) You are not going to stop breathing from LSD. What can happen is that anxiety manifests as the impression of having trouble to breath and also time dilation can make it feel like you haven't taken a breath for quite a while when it really was just seconds ago.

2) It always helps me to remind myself that "I took a drug and the effects I am experiencing are only temporary." and also "If you feel uncomfortable, just change what you are doing."

3) Every trip I had was different, and on top of that it's absolutely possible that no two people experience a psychedelic drug in quite the same way. So IMO there is no way you could ever reach a point where you have experienced the full potential of any psychedelic drug. So don't worry about that, the important question is "Do you want to experience ego death?" Whatever your answer to that, it is valid regardless of what others might think of the importance of such an experience.

One and a half hours to kick in? Struggling to breathe?

Doesn't sound like LSD bud, sure it's real?

One and a half hours to kick in? Struggling to breathe?

Doesn't sound like LSD bud, sure it's real?

The LSD come-up can be pretty subtle if you're not aware of and looking for cues. For me alerts start around the 45-minute mark but if I'm engrossed in something else the trip doesn't become overtly noticeable until about 90 minutes. I'd imagine many newbies wouldn't recognize the indicators of a come-up as early as they can actually come on, or might chalk them up to placebo until they become too strong to dismiss. I've also observed that movies have a strange way of pushing LSD's effects to the periphery; in other words, if I'm watching a movie I'll have little to no OEV effects until I look away from the screen, and then BAM! everything around the screen is breathing intensely.

I'm also inclined to believe the "breathing struggles" were a symptom of anxiety, in the same way one can feel like their heart is racing in their chest but find their heartbeat only slightly elevated when they actually check their pulse.

It wasn't so much I was struggling to breathe per say, it just felt like my throat was tightening up to the point that I had to swallow a lot.

I've bought a testing kit to test them for next time. I normally test stuff before as I do with my mdma/pills but I was too excited to wait for the kit to arrive and went straight in.

I bought it from the same guy I get my mdma/pills from and never had a bad batch so I have no reason to believe he's selling anything other than lsd, though I should of waited until the kit arrived.

Thanks for the replies so far.

2) this hasn't put me off exploring LSD. So is there like a safe word or something which can be said to bring you back round or make you feel safe?

"Xanax!" or "Ativan!" ...assuming you have a tripsitter nearby to feed you the aforementioned substances. Just .5 mg of Xanax or 1 mg of Ativan can help you get a trip back under control when things start turning sideways. When you're having a panic attack and want to kill the trip, you might want to take a higher dose of benzodiazepines plus an antipsychotic (ex.: Seroquel or Risperdal).

Not really. I think you might have the wrong impression about LSD. "Set" and "setting" are critical. This is not a substance that guarantees euphoria and pretty visuals; there is especially no guarantee that you'll gain some sort of divine enlightenment from higher doses. That "ego death" you're craving might turn you into a nervous wreck for months afterwards... or it might amplify a latent mental health condition.

Psychedelics should be treated with a modicum of respect - I'm not trying to "drug-shame" you, just telling you that eating 400 micrograms of LSD at 6 PM in the hopes of achieving "ego death" while your partner is going to sleep at midnight is *not* the way to achieve the "full potential" of LSD for most people. When Alexander Shulgin came up with his rating system for psychedelic effects he made sure to point out that the most transformative experience, the "++++"-rating, could not be forced by simply taking a high enough dose; indeed, such an experience can take place even at moderate doses and on substances with rather light headspaces.

1) No, it's just your mind fixating on an aspect of your body; you won't stop breathing

2) The safe word is "go with the flow". The harder you resist, the more it will affect you. Accept it, go with it; like a canoe flowing down a river ...

3) Ego death is, as is stated above, not dependent on dose. If it happens it happens. It is not the absolute goal for taking LSD.

My goal on Sunday was just to dip my toe into the world of LSD. I didn't set out to reach a higher state of being or aim for an ego death.

The thought of an ego death is intriguing to me, while its not a goal for me. It wouldn't be unwelcome either. I'm pretty much open to whatever comes. While Sunday was a somewhat bad experience, I had total control over it and while I thought I couldn't breathe at times, I wasn't freaking out. I actually settled down after leaving the girlfriend.

Also I have to clear something up. I wasn't tip toeing around the girlfriend. She knew I had taken LSD but she was too tired and didn't want to stay awake with me for the whole of my trip. It bugged me a bit and that's why I removed myself from the room and went into the man cave to listen to tunes. Lol

Thanks again for the replies, I'll look into Xanax, Ativan.

My goal on Sunday was just to dip my toe into the world of LSD.

Dude, you took 400 micrograms of LSD (a substance known for its intense headspace), in a less-than-optimal setting, and without prior experience with psychedelics I'm assuming. Even if those tabs were very likely underdosed and you "only" took about 300 micrograms, that's still a "heavy" dose (according to psychonautwiki).

That ain't just "dipping your toe", that's "jumping headfirst into murky water" ;)

I took 2 blotters of LSD bought as 200ug each on Sunday night.
Waaaaay too much.

1) I know LSD is safe as in I'm not going to die from taking it but could I actually of stopped breathing?
Not likely.

No.

No.

Most horrific trip of my entire life was 15 y/o me thought it was a good idea to eat 3.5g of mushrooms with my parents home on a friday night with an out of control friend also on mushrooms. Ended up locking ourselves in my bedroom trying to just act normal saying we were "going to bed". The next 6 hours will literal hell curled up in my bed pretending to be asleep in the dark. Had visuals that night I've never come close to ever again. They never did find out though.

Just don't put yourself in situations where you can't do what you feel and you'll set yourself up for a way better trip.