• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Too Much Reading Material To Finish In A Lifetime?

ThePharmacist4925

Bluelighter
My brother and I were discussing the question of at what point in history was there so much written that it could not be read in an entire lifetime? We have not reached a definitive conclusion so will not share my thoughts on the matter as sharing my thoughts may lead to simple agreement in the matter. If anyone is willing to contemplate or research this, their research will be much appreciated and I will share my opinion with them. Thank you for considering this intellectual discussion that likely has no repercussions, solved or unsolved.

Can't remember the exact day at the moment, but I know it was on a Tuesday.

When I was last at the museum there was an exhibit on about ancient Sumerian and Assyrian civilizations. What stunned me was how much writing there was. There was no standardized ten-commandment-like tablet on which stuff was written (although there was that too), there were tonnes of palm-sized pieces of clay packed with script, and lots of interesting pottery also stamped with script containing information ranging from simple orders for commodity shipments all the way to complex mythological tales wrapped around a big-ass obelisk (eg. Epic of Gilgamesh). Another interesting thing was the realization that all this ancient Bronze Age cuneiform text was a hell of a lot more advanced than the pictographic shit of the late Neolithic period just a few thousand years prior. In such a short (relatively speaking) amount of time, they refined writing from incredibly cumbersome crap into small strokes that could be written quickly and formed into more complex thoughts and used to explain more complicated concepts. Think back to that order for commodities; these motherfuckers were exchanging written dialogues arguing about advanced economic concepts (AKA the earliest known evidence of futures contracts). So by 2000 B.C., the fertile crescent area was already a hotbed of some pretty advanced literature. Around that same time, we have evidence that East Asian cultures had similarly well-refined writing developed as well, and then during the Iron Age European civilizations also hopped on the bandwagon as all of Asia went through a literary explosion.

So in conclusion, assuming you had an infinite knowledge of all languages and dialects to have ever existed, there's a chance that you could spend your whole life reading just from the stuff that survived into the modern era and not even make it as far as the birth of Christ on the timeline.

aww thanks :) this topic just happened to land in my little bubble of unusual-things-i-am-unusually-interested-in

According to history I doubt you would be able to read the literature contained in the Ancient Library of Alexandria.

I am curious how long it would take to read the entire output of Noam Chomsky. It might take less time to get a B.A.

you're not expected to read more than 3,000 works in a lifetime. excluding people who work for the new york review of books etc.

Spreed is pretty much a given; it's basically one word at a time, rather than reading left to right, or right to left (if your Chinese.)

When I was last at the museum there was an exhibit on about ancient Sumerian and Assyrian civilizations. What stunned me was how much writing there was. There was no standardized ten-commandment-like tablet on which stuff was written (although there was that too), there were tonnes of palm-sized pieces of clay packed with script, and lots of interesting pottery also stamped with script containing information ranging from simple orders for commodity shipments all the way to complex mythological tales wrapped around a big-ass obelisk (eg. Epic of Gilgamesh). Another interesting thing was the realization that all this ancient Bronze Age cuneiform text was a hell of a lot more advanced than the pictographic shit of the late Neolithic period just a few thousand years prior. In such a short (relatively speaking) amount of time, they refined writing from incredibly cumbersome crap into small strokes that could be written quickly and formed into more complex thoughts and used to explain more complicated concepts. Think back to that order for commodities; these motherfuckers were exchanging written dialogues arguing about advanced economic concepts (AKA the earliest known evidence of futures contracts). So by 2000 B.C., the fertile crescent area was already a hotbed of some pretty advanced literature. Around that same time, we have evidence that East Asian cultures had similarly well-refined writing developed as well, and then during the Iron Age European civilizations also hopped on the bandwagon as all of Asia went through a literary explosion.

So in conclusion, assuming you had an infinite knowledge of all languages and dialects to have ever existed, there's a chance that you could spend your whole life reading just from the stuff that survived into the modern era and not even make it as far as the birth of Christ on the timeline.

Which museum did you see that exhibit at?

I would say it was around the time of the printing press. That's because until then, most places in the world only let the nobility and upper class people access the libraries of hand-produced tomes. After the printing press, anyone could access material, provided they could read and had money to buy volumes. That's also when literacy started to increase.

I'm trying to remember some of the figures I used to know about the evolution of information in western europe. The average person from 500 years ago would not even be able to partake in this kind of conversation because they would not have the vocabulary to understand what is being discussed. The time between the invention of each new method of information sharing grows smaller and smaller. The time between radio and TV is half the time between radio and morse code. The time between internet and TV is even shorter.

I thought the op was referring to a single human being.

Imagine if a minute from now half the population of the world wrote down a single word. So that would be approximately 3.5 billion words. Of course it would be preposterous to attempt to read every word, I just think it provides a good example of how complex the world is.

Last edited:
my recent goodreads account was opened in Feb of this year and i have already added over 500 books to my "to-read" list. its depressing to think i'll only have time to read about 1/5 of those, and that doesn't even take into account the books i'll add as time goes on. In response to the OP, wouldn't it be around the time of Homer, or perhaps Buddha and Confucius? I'm thinking somewhere around 500 BCE, if not then, probably not long after Aristotle or the Stoics.

It would have been when there wasn't a lot to read, obviously. I believe the last person would have lived in the medieval period before the invention of the printing press and after the destruction of the last of the Great Libraries which were in the Middle East. My guess is the philosopher William of Ockham (1288-1348), an intellectual remembered today for Ockham's Razor.
My brother and I were discussing the question of at what point in history was there so much written that it could not be read in an entire lifetime? We have not reached a definitive conclusion so will not share my thoughts on the matter as sharing my thoughts may lead to simple agreement in the matter. If anyone is willing to contemplate or research this, their research will be much appreciated and I will share my opinion with them. Thank you for considering this intellectual discussion that likely has no repercussions, solved or unsolved.
In highschool, I made a reading list of 100 works. Although I read on average 4 books per week, the list has grown to more than 1000 books/plays/essays. It's funny that I know people (an xgf's parents) who have never read one book in their entire lives.