Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Tolerance or loosing the magic?

HiManImDan

Bluelighter
Hello beautiful members of bluelight!

Before I start getting to the point, I want to say that what I've done is stupid and obviously not healthy, but I think there has been a time where everyone has bent the safety rules with this overwhelming compound!
Lets get started!

I've rolled about 6 times in just under 2 months, 5 of those times being in 3 weeks (3-4 days apart). I have not rolled days back to back. All of the rolls have been good except last night. I did feel it, but not as much as I did the other times. All of my doses have been from 100-140mg.

Is this a tolerance build up or a loss in magic?
Im guessing tolerance because I still felt awesome but I felt like I needed more!
Any help would be good, thanks!

Yep, that's indeed tolerance building up. Also if you had different batches, quality of your product could also be a factor.

Loss of magic is actually a form of tolerance, but it's a kind of tolerance that seems permanent to some users. If it really is permanent and why that is, is still being debated. But I would take a very long break now, either that or you are going to regret rolling like this one day, it's a surefire way to ruin the effects of a very beautiful drug very rapidly (loss of magic)

Luckily you are taking sensible doses so your tolerance will probably go back down. I have a feeling what is called 'loss of magic' happens a lot more when the user did big doses with lots of redoses and/or rolled way way too frequently for long periods of time. I think what you have is normal tolerance but watch out as that can turn into loss of magic very fast...

Last edited:
Yep, that's indeed tolerance building up. Also if you had different batches, quality of your product could also be a factor.

Loss of magic is actually a form of tolerance, but it's a kind of tolerance that seems permanent to some users. If it really is permanent and why that is, is still being debated. But I would take a very long break now, either that or you are going to regret rolling like this one day, it's a surefire way to ruin the effects of a very beautiful drug very rapidly (loss of magic)

Luckily you are taking sensible doses so your tolerance will probably go back down. I have a feeling what is called 'loss of magic' happens a lot more when the user did big doses with lots of redoses and/or rolled way way too frequently for long periods of time. I think what you have is normal tolerance but watch out as that can turn into loss of magic very fast...

Again, you've answered my questions perfectly! :)
It was all the same MDMA, which at one point, completely dominated me at 125-140mg.
Besides time, what is a good way to lower tolerance?
I really don't want to be one of those people who need 2 grams too feel anything.
Thanks

You are welcome, glad to help

You could look into anti-oxidants though it isn't sure they help with tolerance. They aren't harmful though and are rumored to decrease tolerance a bit, so it can't hurt to try that out.

But the main thing will be time, apart from anti-oxidants and living healthy I don't think you can do much more. But it's a good thing you caught it this early, that means that your tolerance will probably go down if you abstain for a while. It seems to me loss of magic takes a long time of abusing MDMA. You are still relatively new to the substance IIRC so tolerance will build much slower than for someone that has been rolling for a long time

Source for anti-oxidants (link)
MDMA causes a sharp increase in oxidative hydroxyl radicals shortly after administration. It is now believed that this rise in oxidative stress is likely involved in MDMA's neurotoxicity, and may be involved in some of its negative side effects. Very high doses of injected antioxidants have been shown in rats to dramatically reduce or block MDMA neurotoxicity as well as reduce tolerance to MDMA's effects between neurotoxic doses. Based on these findings, it is possible that common vitamin antioxidants may be effective at reducing risks of MDMA neurotoxicity, hangover effect, tolerance, and general body stress.

You are welcome, glad to help

You could look into anti-oxidants though it isn't sure they help with tolerance. They aren't harmful though and are rumored to decrease tolerance a bit, so it can't hurt to try that out.

But the main thing will be time, apart from anti-oxidants and living healthy I don't think you can do much more. But it's a good thing you caught it this early, that means that your tolerance will probably go down if you abstain for a while. It seems to me loss of magic takes a long time of abusing MDMA. You are still relatively new to the substance IIRC so tolerance will build much slower than for someone that has been rolling for a long time

Source for anti-oxidants (link)

1. What anti-oxidents specifically?
2. How much time are we talking?
3. Will exercise and keeping healthy have an effect on tolerance?

Thanks again for useful information!

1. That doesn't matter much. Try looking for the ones that are most common. It's usually not even needed to take antioxidants in any other form than in certain kinds of food but you could look into supplements. Just eating more kinds of food that contain them is usually enough. They also protect against MDMA neurotoxicity which is also good, though if you take normal doses this should not be necessary.

2. That depends hugely on the person. If I were you I would wait at least 2-3 months and then try again. If it still feels like you are not getting full effects after that, wait longer. It depends on how fast your body deals with these kind of things. For me (but I have abused MDMA a lot when I was still very new to it) the only way to bring my tolerance back to almost 0 is to wait 6 months. This should not take that long in your case, though nothing is certain when it comes to these kinds of things. Depends on your body

3. Yes it will. It helps with the restoration of pre-roll hormonal levels and furthermore MDMA is very much a set and setting drug so if you have a healthy mind in a healthy body your roll will be better too. The few times I rolled when I was already exhausted and unhappy I could really tell from the quality of the roll. It will without a doubt have an impact, perhaps even a big one

1. That doesn't matter much. Try looking for the ones that are most common. It's usually not even needed to take antioxidants in any other form than in certain kinds of food but you could look into supplements. Just eating more kinds of food that contain them is usually enough. They also protect against MDMA neurotoxicity which is also good, though if you take normal doses this should not be necessary.

2. That depends hugely on the person. If I were you I would wait at least 2-3 months and then try again. If it still feels like you are not getting full effects after that, wait longer. It depends on how fast your body deals with these kind of things. For me (but I have abused MDMA a lot when I was still very new to it) the only way to bring my tolerance back to almost 0 is to wait 6 months. This should not take that long in your case, though nothing is certain when it comes to these kinds of things. Depends on your body

3. Yes it will. It helps with the restoration of pre-roll hormonal levels and furthermore MDMA is very much a set and setting drug so if you have a healthy mind in a healthy body your roll will be better too. The few times I rolled when I was already exhausted and unhappy I could really tell from the quality of the roll. It will without a doubt have an impact, perhaps even a big one

Thanks you so much!! :)

Besides time, what is a good way to lower tolerance?

there is no way to lower your tolerance besides taking a break.

in those studies they (in addition to using comparatively absurdly high doses of mdma) they gave the rats absurdly high doses of antioxidants administered intraveniously. really, they won't do anything for your tolerance if you take healthy doses (that also means no vitamin e which would have a higher chance of doing anything because it's more fat soluble, but supplementing with it increases your cancer risk, so don't touch anything with added tocopherol).

You are indeed right in concluding that, though they make another point in that article that is important to note. I did some quick research just before replying to HiManImDan to determine of I would advise to use some antioxidants or not, as I haven't done much reading on them in the past. Two sentences in that article on erowid caught my eye. So that's why I thought 'hey it can't hurt to try':
Clearly it is unreasonable to even suggest that ecstasy users inject 5 grams of vitamin C into their abdomen, but since the neurotoxic rat doses of MDMA are also administered by injection and very high, there is reason to think the doses of antioxidants do not need to be this high to have some positive effect. Normal supplement level doses of over-the-counter antioxidants are very well tolerated and, based on the work by Aguirre, it may be helpful to take antioxidant supplements in the days both before and after each MDMA exposure.
This seems to talk about neurotoxic damage only, but they mentioned earlier on in the article that apart from protection against neurotoxicity antioxidants also seemed to have an effect on tolerance so they seem somewhat intertwined

Last edited: