• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos tobaccoless nicotine and benzos

BzCurio

Greenlighter
I've seen the many threads (from 5+ years ago) discussing studies that show hydrocarbons from cigarette combustion ramp up the same liver enzymes that metabolize benzos, causing them to be less effective and leave your system faster.

What I have not seen is if this happens from nicotine itself in products like patches, juuls, gum, lozenges etc. Does anyone have any experience with this or know of any research? I admittedly used to juul all the time about a year ago as I noticed it helped keep me grounded mood wise, and never noticed a change in how my Klonopin worked. But I didn't hit it like a maniac because I didn't particularly enjoy the head rush, it'd take me 2-3 weeks to go through one pod, so I don't know if it was a dose thing. I eventually quit without any real issue.

Just curious as I recently began to notice vaping kills alcohol cravings (clearly it's working as some sort of bandaid for a mental problem I haven't connected yet that leads me to drink), and I'd say between weekly binge drinking and nicotine it's easy to see which would be less dangerous. But I do not want to do this if it means the medication I rely on to function like a normal person becomes less effective.

Last edited:
Nicotine (vape) has that effect on me also. In that it, rather rapidly, chips away at an alcohol buzz with each hit. Extra frustrating because we all know how those cravings are after a few drinks.

I dont remember smoking cigarettes effecting the buzz as much as vaping does.

Nicotine (vape) has that effect on me also. In that it, rather rapidly, chips away at an alcohol buzz with each hit. Extra frustrating because we all know how those cravings are after a few drinks.

I dont remember smoking cigarettes effecting the buzz as much as vaping does.
Oh, sorry, I mean vaping seems to kill my cravings for alcohol while I'm sober. IE, it's helping me drink much less (which is good for me).

My curiosity was if nicotine when isolated from tobacco still affects the efficacy of benzos

Oh, sorry, I mean vaping seems to kill my cravings for alcohol while I'm sober. IE, it's helping me drink much less (which is good for me).

My curiosity was if nicotine when isolated from tobacco still affects the efficacy of benzos
Sorry i meant to say nicotine has a similar effect on me when used with alcohol. I'm in agreement though that nicotine administered through smoking 🚬 has much less of a sobering effect than the stuff in e-juice.
As for the benzos, i have no idea.

I'm in agreement though that nicotine administered through smoking 🚬 has much less of a sobering effect than the stuff in e-juice.
I have heard the saying that cigarettes sober you up when drinking, but again that's backwards to what I was saying since I'm talking about benzos not an alcohol euphoria buzz.

Just to be more clear, the studies linked in the old bluelight threads about this claim the hydrocarbons from burning tobacco share a liver enzyme with metabolizing benzos (CYP or something). The threads even had many anecdotes from traditional cigarette smokers saying it made their benzos less effective. This triggered a brief but unanswered question of whether or not this applies to non-tobacco administration of nicotine.

Based on the studies, it doesn't appear that nicotine has anything to do with it. It's the combustion of tobacco leaves. But I figured I'd see if anyone knows anything new as those threads were almost a decade old.

There are many people here that are quite knowlegable on benzos and liver enzymes and all that juicy stuff. Not sure why it's so quiet in here 🤷‍♂️

I would love to know myself. In fact, long time lurker over the years, finally subscribed to hopefully revive this thread an get an answer. This happened to be the exact issue I was seeking an answer to tonight.

Anyway, been a nicotine addict for 15 years. For MOST of the past 5 or so years I've been primarily a vaporer. Even used to make my own coils and do the cloudchasing thing for a time, lol. Gave that up some time back, which is neither here nor there. Been through so much gear. Now, I stick to my well-aged, but still reliable Drag with a Falcon on top.

Now, been on various doctor prescribed pharmaceuticals for years (decade+), though I didn't begin till adulthood, as my "quirks" began to more and more affect my life. Actually took a complete break for a few years. Anyway, some time back got a foster care social worker job. The stereotype of the overworked, burnt out social worker is utterly, and completely true. So, soon after being hired on I decided the only way I could possibly keep up with the job, and all the cold calls to people in unfortunate circumstances, the driving, the endless paperwork, this guy, who's suffered from ADD inattentive type most his life, and straight across the board generalized as well as social anxiety disorder, with a dash of agoraphobia that's presented itself more and more over the years, decided it was time to get back on some meds.

So, been back on Adderall and benzos for a few months now. But, still nicotine addicted. I remember a time when it was said that lorazepam, especially, was affected by cigarette smoking. Researching around the site tonight it would seem that most benzos were affected by cigarette smoke. But what about vaping our nicotine? Is vaping affecting the effectiveness of my alprazolam XR, and my diazepam?

I frankly don't recall cigarettes affecting my benzos back in the day, lorazepam included, but, it was always at the back of my mind. And I certainly didn't stop smoking long enough at any point to see if they were more effective without. But, while vaping helps with the stress of my job, I'd seriously consider giving it up if it's making my anti-anxiety meds less effective.

I vape all day long when not working and was taking 0.5 mg lorazopam for about a 4 month stretch, but only as needed. I didnt notice any stifled effects while vaping.

Again, infrequent use though so idk if that makes a difference.

Nicotine by itself should have no impact on benzo metabolism. Tobacco smoke is different because it also contains many different compounds (hydrocarbons and other stuff) along with Beta-Carboline alkaloids that may interfere with some CYP450 enzymes (they are also MAO inhibitors).
But not all benzos are affected equally, IIRC heavy smokers usually need to take more alprazolam compared to non smokers because tobacco makes it less efficient (it really speeds up the elimination step).

Last edited:
Nicotine by itself should have no impact on benzo metabolism. Tobacco smoke is different because it also contains many different compounds (hydrocarbons and other stuff) along with Beta-Carboline alkaloids that may interfere with some CYP450 enzymes (they are also MAO inhibitors).
But not all benzos are affected equally, IIRC heavy smokers usually need to take more alprazolam compared to non smokers because tobacco makes it less efficient (it really speeds up the elimination step).
Awesome. Glad to hear.

It's true for me. 1mg of xanax might as well be 0.25mg. I had to stop taking it for sleep because if I didn't get to sleep within 30 minutes I'd end up wanting a smoke. Once I have the smoke it's over. I'll be up for hours eating everything in the house. I don't know why xanax gives me the munchies but I swear it's worse than smoking pot. I don't have this issue with Valium.

I'll be up for hours eating everything in the house. I don't know why xanax gives me the munchies but I swear it's worse than smoking pot. I don't have this issue with Valium.

Yeah, Xanax munchies are something fierce. Especially when combined with pot. I haven't been doing so of late because my med lady prescribed me valium for evening/bedtime here recently, but some nights, not gonna lie, if the day hadn't been overly stressful, and I decided to skip my second dose of 1mg Xanax XR, come evening, I'd crush it up, wash it down, and....hit the Silver Surfer or some shatter. Like clockwork, about 10 or 11 every night, I'd get the most intense munchies. And I know my munchies. Of course, this is also the time of night where the last of my daily second dose of Adderall is likely fully wearing off (I mostly just snack here and there throughout the day due to Adderall's appetite suppression) so it was like the perfect storm. That being said, since getting on the valium in the evenings(still usually throw in a few shatter hits or rips of flower off the Surfer), I still get some munchies around 10 or 1, but, it feels more natural, like my body just wants some real food after a day of relatively few calories. Not the raid the fridge and cabinets and devour everything in sight kind of munchies from the Xanax.

Sorry i meant to say nicotine has a similar effect on me when used with alcohol. I'm in agreement though that nicotine administered through smoking 🚬 has much less of a sobering effect than the stuff in e-juice.

As I do this a lot of times I can tell NO. But that's just me. Perhaps you react differently.

JJ