View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

To trip or not to trip?

mayfly

Greenlighter
A few months ago i tried shrooms for the first time, i did about 2.5 grams (might not be much, but it got me high as fuck). Big mistake I had a horrible trip where i felt as if everyday of my life was a loop and nothing was entertaining. i felt no need to socialize ever again and i couldn't understand social constructs like clothes and caring about others, i became very realistic and felt that i understood that nothing matters at all. I turned pretty antisocial and depressed ever since. Do you think tripping again might reverse the issue?

Im a super lightweight when it comes to weed and i usually hate being high 9/10.

tl;dr bad first trip, havent been the same since, should i try again?

No i dont think you should try again, but if you are going to, i think you need to find a way to be in tune with those feelings that came about during your first trip. Maybe prepare yourself to face them head on knowing that you're gonna be in the shroom headspace/mindset.

And if you do not trip, i would advise either some deep meditative thinking about why this happened, or speak with a therapist about these issues if they are negatively affecting your life

Also, of course, i have to mention set and setting. If youre going to trip again, make sure that youre in a comfortable place with a prepared and open mindset. If you have anything negative weighing on your conscience, then i would advise dealing with those problems sober first and then tripping once they have been solved

Thanks for the advice, ill take your word for it. But fuck therapists, i've always been emotionally stable, until the darn dirtyshrooms, and since ive had them ive always felt the same. I was so happy and excited to take them too! it was such a disappointment.

Last edited:
This isn't as uncommon as you might expect. I had something very similar happen to me 3 years ago but I'm still tripping weekly to this day with no problems. It's up to you whether or not you trip again, but if you do, take no more than one gram of shrooms or half a hit of acid. a much lighter trip would be easier for you to explore and know what exactly you're getting into before it suddenly hits.

My first trip was a catastrophic one followed by many others that were positive and lifechanging. After time you will appreciate the bad trips for what they were. Ever since the first time of a huge dose I've found that low doses are more for me. Around 2 grams is what I stay around anything more and I'm uncomfortable any less and I feel like I missed out a little.

Work your way up with doses nothing wrong with taking too little, worst thing ever if you take too much and repeat your last one. A few lighter trips might even help you work through your problems better than just diving straight in again with uncertainty.

Yes, setting, setting, setting. I was on shrooms once in the outdoors having a great time. Then my friend had to "run an errand" and get something from someone. We were waiting in a dark car for 30 minutes. I ended up sobbing and thinking of depressing family shit. Went outside, and I was good again. Also, don't take too much. Even though I had a bad trip for part of it, it made me realize I should try to strengthen a weak relationship with one of my family members.

Try to think about what thoughts were going through your head and why it was a bad trip, you may realize something from it. I agree with trying a much lower dose. Shrooms last a while, so if you peak and aren't feeling it much, you can always take less. Can't do anything about taking too much once the drugs have hit. ;)

Spicebread,

Your experience describes how beneficial psychedelics are in initiating personal growth if used responsibly. The important part is accepting and working through the difficult parts rather than ignoring them. You did this, you learned, you grew and in the end your experience was positive. Now take action on the lesson. Challenging experiences are not necessarily negative, they always are growth opportunities, lets remember this piece.