• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

To much mdma concerned about serotonin syndrome

slinky176

Greenlighter
I’ve been back from ibiza since friday was there for 10 days for 8 of these we took mdma every night well pills anyway after the first night they didn’t work anymore but we kept taking them anyway. since getting home we have had brain zaps sickness bad stomach and general fizzy head and depression when will this pass we took some 5 htp today but both fee awful have we got serotonin syndrome should we be concerned

No I’m sure you are ok but here is some information

Serotonin syndrome can be dangerous. It involves changes in mental status, autonomic hyperactivity, and neuromuscular hyperactivity.

Many people experience symptoms that are mild to moderate in intensity. In some cases, the symptoms can become severe and life-threatening.

Symptoms begin within the first 24 hours of a dose increase or overdose on a serotonergic drug. Serotonergic drugs are any medications or illicit substances that increase serotonin levels in the brain.

symptoms associated with this condition include:

• Mental status changes. This cluster of symptoms includes agitation, restlessness, disorientation, anxiety, and excitability.
  • Autonomic hyperactivity. These symptoms include hyperthermia, sweating, hypertension, tachycardia, pinpoint pupils, increased breathing rate, and dry mucous membranes.
  • Neuromuscular abnormalities: This set of symptoms includes tremors, muscle rigidity, and restlessness.
These symptoms could last from a few hours up to a few weeks, depending on the amount of excessive serotonin in the body. Another factor influencing timeline is whether the condition resulted from an overdose on ecstasy during a night of partying or from an excessive amount of serotonin building up in the body due to daily serotonergic medication.

Recreational ecstasy users may see their symptoms resolve within 24 hours, while people on a daily medication may not see their symptoms fully resolve for up to six weeks.

the depression
“that when large amounts of serotonin are released into the brain, it becomes depleted of the neurotransmitter associated with happiness, contributing to post-ecstasy depression symptoms. This may resolve within one to six weeks, depending on the conditions surrounding the onset of symptoms”

Last edited by a moderator:
your serotonin system is out of balance

this is just what happens when you abuse MDMA

you will probably feel a bit off for awhile if you used MDMA 8 days in a row

No you are fine

edited to add your depressed bc you depleted your serotonin and that serotonin discontinuation is giving you the brain zaps
serotonin syndrome is a dire extreme condition you would be in rough shape
thanks my hubby has been really ill so sick since thursday but coming out of it now i wont be doing that again in a hurry we are supposed to be out this weekend but might give that a miss 😳

From what I can gather, serotonin syndrome only presents when MAOIs or SSRIs are thrown into the mix.

Brain zaps are very common from overuse of serotonergics, but usually harmless.

Unless you're prone to seizures...

Sounds like a killer trip! I've always wanted to go to Ibiza.

I’ve been back from ibiza since friday was there for 10 days for 8 of these we took mdma every night well pills anyway after the first night they didn’t work anymore but we kept taking them anyway. since getting home we have had brain zaps sickness bad stomach and general fizzy head and depression when will this pass we took some 5 htp today but both fee awful have we got serotonin syndrome should we be concerned
Serotonin syndrome can happen while under the influence of MDMA or a combination of MDMA and a MAOI or SSRI.
What you are experiencing now is the ill effects of serotonin depletion.
Most people spontaneously recuperate within a few weeks and go back to normal.
Leading a healthy lifestyle helps, so no alcohol or other drugs, lots of sleep, no processed foods, supplement 5HTP and take multivitamins daily, moderate exercise at least 3 times per week.

If either of you don't recover you may be affected by what we call LTC (Long Term Comedown), In that case post again here and we may be able to help.

Serotonin syndrome is an acute condition, not a chronic one. It happens when serotonin levels are elevated to dangerous levels as they can be during a roll when you've exaggerated your dose tremendously or if you've ingested something like an MAOI. Not an SSRI though, that will not cause serotonin syndrome combined with MDMA, it will blunt the effects of MDMA, meaning that your serotonin levels would be lower than without an SSRI, further meaning that the chance for serotonin syndrome is actually lower than with just MDMA. An MAOI on the other hand can be lethal combined with MDMA

In short, it would have happened during your roll, not in the days following, unless you took another serotonergic substance. What you're experiencing are quite well-known aftereffects of using too much MDMA, especially the brain zaps. It is not however, serotonin syndrome. Just wait it out, you will be fine

Serotonin syndrome is an acute condition, not a chronic one. It happens when serotonin levels are elevated to dangerous levels as they can be during a roll when you've exaggerated your dose tremendously or if you've ingested something like an MAOI. Not an SSRI though, that will not cause serotonin syndrome combined with MDMA, it will blunt the effects of MDMA, meaning that your serotonin levels would be lower than without an SSRI, further meaning that the chance for serotonin syndrome is actually lower than with just MDMA. An MAOI on the other hand can be lethal combined with MDMA

In short, it would have happened during your roll, not in the days following, unless you took another serotonergic substance. What you're experiencing are quite well-known aftereffects of using too much MDMA, especially the brain zaps. It is not however, serotonin syndrome. Just wait it out, you will be fine
thankyou that was really helpful my head is still spinning all over the place today but the nausea has gone thank goodness and my husband can finally move more than two foot from the toilet 🚽. nightmares are still a real issue though 😞

Of course you feel unwell. You took MDMA for 8 days in the span of 10. MDMA is supposed to be an occasional one off. It's highly depleting of Serotonin reserves.

You won't have Serotonin Syndrome. If anything, you'll be as far away from it as possible. Taking 5-HTP several+ hours after using MDMA won't cause Serotonin Syndrome either. Taking it before on the other hand is a completely different matter and should be avoided.

I would recommend avoiding MDMA for a good long while and continue to supplement with 5-HTP for the next 2-3 weeks.

The best advice is not the advice you probably want to hear, especially after being in Ibiza. Hope you has fun though! 8 days of MDMA is not a good idea. Unless the MDMA was something else or had something else mixed in, you will be fine.

When you take MDMA you trigger the release of feel good chemicals including serotonin. Dopamine and norepinephrine the other two. Serotonin can be released naturally and there's no issue and this happens throughout our life and at different times of the day and under certain circumstances but when you take MDMA you are triggering the release of it in bursts your brain can't keep up with. You are bypassing its natural regulation. Once or twice is okay because its fuel out of the tank that isn't going to break the bank. Most people don't feel that bad from one session with it, maybe even two. You also bounce back from this easily, or most do anyway.

More than that and you are severely depleting your serotonin levels. We can't produce serotonin as fast as we might want. That's why the recommend intermission between MDMA sessions is supposed to be at least 3 months. That's minimum by the way. 6 months is better and the longer you go the better it is. A year would be ideal. It won't take us that long to recharge but the point is not depleting ourselves in the first place. We maintain normal functioning during this time and normal functioning is what we want. That's what our brain and body knows best. The aim isn't to alter brain chemistry so we become unwell and an MDMA comedown is technically sickness, just as is a hangover from booze.

You've done that - altered brain chemistry to the point of making yourselves sick. You've probably had at least a years worth of MDMA sessions in just over a week, maybe even more, if by recommended dosing you refer to what science says. So your brain and body hasn't had any time to recover resulting in the side effects you have had. Both have been overwhelmed to exhaustion. Your boyfriend especially sounds like he fared the worst.

It's not serious unless you keep going and/or you don't recover and implement a regimen for accelerating that recovery. You are just running on empty, that's all. Also, serotonin syndrome is when you have too much serotonin that it essentially 'poisons' you whereas you will be experiencing the opposite. Its more likely you would experience serotonin syndrome during a session with MDMA because this is when you have peak concentrations. If you combined other drugs and especially certain medications that interact with the same areas of the brain you could increase the risk. But afterwards you are likely if anything to have less than optimal levels of serotonin, especially if you've been hammering the Molly! So serotonin syndrome is not a concern after your sessions.

As for regimen, the best solution is rest and diet. Exercise also greatly helps too and generally being fit and active currently in your life.
Supplementing 5-HTP will aid in accelerating the natural production of serotonin, of which 5-HTP is a precursor to. If not 5-HTP then foods high in tryptophan. Turkey is really high in tryptophan, as is chicken, eggs as well. You can also supplement with protein powders. I tend to go for a comprehensive protein powder after MDMA which also contains a carb complex for fast and slow absorption of energy as well as a BCAA blend. The carbs are just as important because one of the biggest consumers of energy is your brain. Fructose, glucose, maltodextrin will be shuttled where it needs to go rapidly but that's usually only necessary within a short time after the session and only if you feel a little off. The protein powder regimen has never let me down and always picks up where the MDMA left off. The calories, the protein, carbs, BCAAs and any supplemental vitamins and minerals that come with it are more than welcome at this time. When I've taken MDMA with others I've always recovered faster everytime. One time I took it with a work colleague and he was bedridden all day whereas I was out of the door the following morning out for breakfast. The difference between me and him was regimen. I take a protein shake few hours after the session and then straight away when I wake up too followed by a hearty meal and then followed up with that with consistent meals throughout the day. You might have to force food down due to loss of appetite but the other option is depriving yourself of nutritional support you really need right now. Other supplements like Vitamin C and zinc will boost your immune system which tied in your body being drained will increase its ability to keep on ticking over. Vitamin C is an antioxidant. Its good at removing waste products from the body. Vitamin B6 is also important. B6 is tied in with both serotonin and norepinephrine production as well as its energy metabolism qualities. Hydration is key as well as you excrete most of the MDMA in urine passed from the kidney. The more you drink the more you will pass. Its likely you will still be passing metabolites of MDMA into the 3rd day or so although the majority is removed within 24-48hrs. Point being, if its still there its still a contender for the issues you are facing.

Its important to maintain a functional life post session and particularly if you've gone really heavy. Retreating away won't do anything but that's what a lot of people do. You might feel like shit but keeping up with beneficial activities will stimulate you which in turn will reward you with the necessary chemicals. It also reinforces your motivation to seek optimal health, which itself is a lifestyle choice more than it is something temporary but nevertheless your mind and body will reward you for doing the right things. That's why I mention exercise specifically because a 30 minute steady run every few days along with some more heavier sessions will give you that reward and if you can do that in nature that will also reward even more. Going for walks, keeping active and doing chores, maintaining a functional and healthy daily schedule, having fun and enjoying yourself. Its important not to accept fate and consider yourself fucked and beyond hope. This is the sad road that often leads excessive MDMA users to long-term illness and even addiction. Not that you will go down this route but its one usually of dysfunction and decline caused by negative symptoms already existing masked with bad coping mechanisms. Fight the downtime you experience by enabling yourselves to bounce back mentally, emotionally, physically, psychologically. Maintain a decent social life too which also shields you from many potential declines anyway, especially cognitively. It sounds obvious but its not always followed. Best comebacks from comedowns I have had were being around other people and keeping the flow of socializing going. I also would consider visiting a sauna/steam room and sweating it out for 10-15 minutes as often as you can. Bring a bottle of water with you and just flush your system out by sweating as much as you can.

The more severe symptoms should reduce within a few days to a week or so. They usually fade after a week if it was pretty heavy and also if you don't do much to improve things ie just leave things to get better without intentional recovery and regimen. You may have little remnants of symptoms for the next few weeks even a month or so depending on how severe the fallout is from the heavy sessions. Little episodes of depressive bouts, anxiety, a few sleepless nights maybe, might be more irritable as well every now and then, reduced lack of appetite as well. A general malaise basically. Also stuff like being more sensitive to light and loud noises, busy places etc. Lack of concentration too and ability to focus.

Ride the wave and you will be fine. Its how you approach the downtime now which determines your trajectory moving forward. Just keep moving forward and reflect on the positives. You no doubt had an amazing experience. Look after yourself! :)

I know I'm late to the party, but the first thing that you can use to diagnose or self-diagnose serotonin syndrome is big ass pupils in the daylight way after you stop taking the pills, and fever.

Honestly I think you just have a really shitty pill hangover cuz we really can't say it's ecstasy or not. You probably drank and you probably didn't hydrate very well either.

But you partied in Ibiza baby.