Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

To Build an Ego or to Destroy an Ego?

LazyTheGreat

Bluelighter
Greetings to my fellow Bluelighters!

I have been doing my research on this particular subject on whether you should or should not kill your ego. I'm simply looking for new insights and thoughts on the matter at hand. If anyone would like to argue against ego annihilation please feel free to comment same goes for building an ego. I love seeing both sides of the coin so please comment any thoughts.

Personally I feel like building an ego is the way to go. Creating a character for yourself that you want can be quite rewarding. Taking advantage and experiencing all the pleasures in the world is what I want. Now by doing that of course your going to experience headaches and displeasure rather than living a simple life.

I stumbled across this website that pushed me in the direction of building an ego. I'm going to leave the link here if anyone wants to check it out "http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2010/01/how-to-build-a-stronger-ego/"

Ego annihilation is possible, but it will render you unable to navigate the material world.

Better to train the ego to work with the true self, or the inner virtue. There are experiences one can have, like near death, which show the ego that it is not the be all and end all. In turn this humbles it into other avenues. Let's be clear though, when we talk about ego in the third person, we're really just talking about you or I. So let's bring it down to earth. You're ego typing and reading, right now.

A lot of people claim that ego is the enemy, but ego is capable of making choices... perhaps not always useful ones, but it's a mechanism for how we navigate the world. There are ways to make the ego more cooperative through accessing other consciousness faculties which it can then work with. Ego is part of the bodymind, that is to say, it is the mind that is part of our organic, animal being. Why hate it? It would be no different than hating one's body.

My sense is that if you bring love into everything, even ego relations, it can integrate all parts of the whole. Ego is transient but it doesn't have to be counter-productive.

Foreigner said it perfectly

I just want to add an analogy I really like that someone shared with me. Once you've seen beyond the illusion that you are your ego and integrated and unburdened yourself deeply, ego becomes like a pair of clothes you wear every day when you go out into the world. You get to choose what to wear and you select it based on what is appropriate for the occasion. Than in the privacy of your own home you get butt naked and enjoy being what you truly are.

Build the ego while also occasionally stepping outside of it - without the ego you'd have no drive to accomplish anything in life, my ego is one of the greatest tools I have to help me achieve my goals, so I like to strive towards a sort of "meta-ego", attempting to transcend the egos problems while embracing its benefits...destroying the ego is a pipe dream anyways, same thing as "chasing the dragon" in my eyes basically...

I just want to add an analogy I really like that someone shared with me. Once you've seen beyond the illusion that you are your ego and integrated and unburdened yourself deeply, ego becomes like a pair of clothes you wear every day when you go out into the world. You get to choose what to wear and you select it based on what is appropriate for the occasion. Than in the privacy of your own home you get butt naked and enjoy being what you truly are.

I love how you described that!

I feel similar to you. I believe that once we fully understand the confines of our ego and how it ticks usually by destroying it we can build it up to form our ideal sense of self.

Is the ego real? Or is it just a bundle of memories which you call "you?" I'm going with the latter question.

I was told my name is "Michael." I hold onto that thought. But isn't that all it is, a thought?

^Ego is the trademark flaw/cool thing about people.

It's a thing. “Are you self aware? Does your ego control you?“

I like to think of the ego as an extension of the body. It plays by the same rules in many ways. If you indulge it too much it will grow fat and lethargic and you will become a relatively despicable and loathsome human being. If you neglect it your ego will become emancipated and wither, leaving you incapable of living a healthy life, which is after all why we are here. The best thing to do is to "exercise" your ego. Practice introspection to make sure you are doing the best job at being human that you can. maintain healthy relationships and dont focus too much on self indulgence or material wealth. At the same time, treat your ego with kindness, give it the building blocks for a benevolent future and in return it will grow like a well tended tree into a strong and stable friend that will yield both shade and fruit to you in your times of need.

I love this! Appreciating the usefulness of the ego is as important as understanding its uselessness.;) Kind of like knowing that your clothes don't define you but taking delight in expressing your unique personal style through choosing how you dress.

Greetings to my fellow Bluelighters!

I have been doing my research on this particular subject on whether you should or should not kill your ego. I'm simply looking for new insights and thoughts on the matter at hand. If anyone would like to argue against ego annihilation please feel free to comment same goes for building an ego. I love seeing both sides of the coin so please comment any thoughts.

Personally I feel like building an ego is the way to go. Creating a character for yourself that you want can be quite rewarding. Taking advantage and experiencing all the pleasures in the world is what I want. Now by doing that of course your going to experience headaches and displeasure rather than living a simple life.

I stumbled across this website that pushed me in the direction of building an ego. I'm going to leave the link here if anyone wants to check it out "http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2010/01/how-to-build-a-stronger-ego/"

The ego is to be enjoyed for the evil that it is as apart of human nature. Just don't abuse it or ya goin to hell.

being a character is fun and I only achieve that state on Dexamphetamine with pot where it's amusing to be myself. It's always isolating if you don't socialize but riveting if you do. Your ego fantasies are fun as long as you know there worthlessness.

Ego is not useless, it's just always outmatched and at the mercy of God. You can only enjoy your ego when you know your weak to god otherwise it's an ugly ego.

I was born without an Ego, so Amphetamine is the biggest psychedelic to me, and acid feels like nothing at any dose but visualization changes.

Since birth, I wouldn't connect to the material unnatural world or understand why we have to be "identities".

When I take enough Dexedrine to raise material ego, il become the narcissistic generic identity of some generic prince of power and lust to my peers.

I find any ego to be fake so to me 90% of the population all are hallucinating that they are some special identity or bounded self.

I am only a creation of God as we all are. We are all children because we have no capacity to handle power.

To be authentic is to have no ego but also no pride,

The buddah has no Ego but he's full of Pride, Pride is a Lot better than Ego, but still it's not truth.

Last edited:
The ego is a beast inside that needs to be taught its place. It is not to be killed. In my 'Monkey-Robot-Angel' model the ego is the monkey mind. It should only be let out of its cage is very specific situations. The robot and Angel can take care of the rest, the mokey always has something to say, but letting it control you is essentially becoming an animal with no morality or foresight. Remember it is a primitive perspective, but good for getting a fuller picture. 'Killing the ego" is merely isolating it in a box for awhile to gain a higher state of consciousness. Also intresting is "money' is just the mokey without "k" could be coincidence but notable.

This is just my perspective. I would love to hear others.

A

The ego is a beast inside that needs to be taught its place. It is not to be killed. In my 'Monkey-Robot-Angel' model the ego is the monkey mind. It should only be let out of its cage is very specific situations. The robot and Angel can take care of the rest, the mokey always has something to say, but letting it control you is essentially becoming an animal with no morality or foresight. Remember it is a primitive perspective, but good for getting a fuller picture. 'Killing the ego" is merely isolating it in a box for awhile to gain a higher state of consciousness. Also intresting is "money' is just the mokey without "k" could be coincidence but notable.

It's definitely primitively, but it is not even saying or doing whatever you want. Actually lack of an ego for some makes it easy to say and do whatever they want because they don't care about their reputation.

Ego is the politically correct type of self righteousness. It's doing what appears to look good for others lol.

Like anyone who thinks humans can transcend using knowledge to make a multicultural utopia for the human "tribe" is what I see Ego as.

the most egotistical people are very calm and hold their tounge. And some of these people will fight you or passive aggressively shut you off IRL if they sense your against them or they can gain anything by demeaning you or others.

It's primitive because it goes back to the days of "survival" living and animal like view on reward/ self benefit/ tribal/species role.

Ego is the sociopathic/selfish part of you (dopamine).

But pride is the Beast that mouths off to others and wants territory and feels entitled to land (Serotonin).

Think of a fraternity doucher or a Swagphag thug as ego,

then think of the Italian mobster who will come and smash every TV in your store with a bat and curses at you to your face because you made snide remarks to his wife while she was shopping at your store. That is pride lol. It's more of a higher serotonin lower dopamine

Last edited:
It's definitely primitively, but it is not even saying or doing whatever you want. Actually lack of an ego for some makes it easy to say and do whatever they want because they don't care about their reputation.

Ego is the politically correct type of self righteousness. It's doing what appears to look good for others lol.

Like anyone who thinks humans can transcend using knowledge to make a multicultural utopia for the human "tribe" is what I see Ego as.

the most egotistical people are very calm and hold their tounge. And some of these people will fight you or passive aggressively shut you off IRL if they sense your against them or they can gain anything by demeaning you or others.

It's primitive because it goes back to the days of "survival" living and animal like view on reward/ self benefit/ tribal/species role.

Ego is the sociopathic/selfish part of you (dopamine).

But pride is the Beast that mouths off to others and wants territory and feels entitled to land (Serotonin).

Think of a fraternity doucher or a Swagphag thug as ego,

then think of the Italian mobster who will come and smash every TV in your store with a bat and curses at you to your face because you made snide remarks to his wife while she was shopping at your store. That is pride lol. It's more of a higher serotonin lower dopamine
I think the Mafia bashing your store window is moee of a norepinephrine problem no? His behavior can be adjusted with a serotonegic like paxil. But diet is deffo most Important for ego. Sugar and insulin pikes.

I think the Mafia bashing your store window is moee of a norepinephrine problem no? His behavior can be adjusted with a serotonegic like paxil. But diet is deffo most Important for ego. Sugar and insulin pikes.

Elevated serotonin is associated with planned/methodical violence at extremes, or snapping when someone infringes on your space or family, elevated Serotonin is also associated with being /Non aggressive/ but when directly provoked you to turn maniac/ lion mode.

Serotonin is pride that way because it's like the warrior who says "il take on all 8 of you" because he feels the land Is his territory, and he moves his body in battle as if he can't be hit.

It's well known that Pride is a little better/stronger than ego, but it's still overreaching.

I think Hallucigens and meditation usually make someone feel very good in the form of Proper Pride. Gives you a clear view and connection to the earthly unity were all apart of.

But Siddhartha guatama knew all he was doing and showing was a great disassociation, and the true human spirit in living was absent.

Because it is prideful to sit isolated and absent in stillness thinking you don't have to interact with the world or do anything, thinking your "above" it.

Siddharthas lost writings had a passage describing his incomplete solution to the human mind/journey. And he alluded to someone (Christ) coming centuries later to show the real way.

And christs teachings showed the ego is always within man, but the ego is balanced with humbility/compassion for the most euphoric time on earth and future.

Christ mastered having high levels of dopamine and endorphins, which his teachings pointed toward. at the time of his arrival, the world was cast into trickery by the ego of the world leaders, and he had to make it be known humbility is the way Up, not personal deeds.

Last edited: