• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tired of addiction I want out. Is cutting dosage like this safe

crisler

Bluelighter
I have been making tapering plans for 4 weeks now and quitting. I take 250mg a day of Tramadol. Is a 250mg to 100mg jump going to give too bad a withdrawal to where ppl would notice. Im planning on 100mg a day for 2 weeks then 50mg for 2 weeks. Any reason I cant? Im just tired of being a slave. I want sober life i want to be free I can't explain it.

the smaller the jumps the less your withdrawals will be so it's really whatever you can handle. 250mg of tramadol isn't that bad of a habit to begin with but depending on your length of use there will be withdrawals. you could also try to take smaller doses throughout the day to keep your blood plasma levels more even. i wish you luck

I'm moving this to BDD. I'm not very versed in tramadol, but based on my experiences with other opiates, I would recommend not to take that drastic of a drop. Try decreasing your dose by 25%, most find that to be not too painful.

There's no reason you couldn't quit CT but a longer taper wouldn't be as harsh. Nevertheless tramadol acts different in that physical WD is slightly longer than other opioids so expect that first week off it to feel about the same day to day. On the upside it shouldn't be as intense as other drugs are.

You don't need to explain your need to no longer be a slave, especially a slave to opioids & opiates. Many of us want the same.

You are doing the right thing at the right time. The right time is now before your habit blows out to 250mgs every 4hrs or onto something stronger. Question time.....

1. How long have you been using Tramadol?
2. Do you take 250mgs at once or spaced out over your day or night?

The answers will help us determine the best schedule for your taper which may be what you have already planned.

I take 250mg a day in 3 hour window basically all at once. Example: 200mg at wake, then 3 hours later 50mg. None at night or in the pm hours. But the half life is pretty long i assume because i sleep well. I have been on 250mg tramadol since december 2015 so aout 6 months now. Sad. Time has flown by and I am here now.

As most everyone else has suggested: I wouldn't take that big of a decrease right off the bat. I'd start off gradually... 15%-25% less each month. I myself am currently tapering off of my prescribed Vicoprofen & Dilaudid medications for my chronic shoulder pain. This is how my doctor and I have been doing it and it's worked extremely well, with little withdrawal symptoms (most days that is):

Original Scripts: (120) 7.5mg Vicoprofen | (120) 8mg Dilaudid
1st Month Taper: (120) 7.5mg Vicoprofen | (120) 2mg Dilaudid
2nd Month Taper: (120) 7.5mg Vicoprofen | (120) 2mg Dilaudid - didn't change this month's scripts, as the drop from 8mg to 2mg Dilaudid was pretty rough
3rd Month Taper: (90) 7.5mg Vicoprofen | (90) 2mg Dilaudid
4th Month Taper: (60) 7.5mg Vicoprofen | (60) 2mmg Dilaudid

I'm currently on my 4th month of tapering. Next month I'll probably get lowered to 30 of each script. It's a slow process but it's completely worth it because like I said I'm having minimal withdrawals. Admittedly, I also have Xanax and Clonodine scripts for "as needed" symptoms... but I don't have to take them every day. Usually just on the occasional rough day, or at night if I'm having trouble sleeping. But my point is this: start off slower than you're planning... especially if your meds are a legit monthly script from a doctor. Talk with him and get on the same game plan if you think it'll help.