• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentinoids Tips to stop taking pregabalin?

Nicocastillo7

Bluelighter
Hi. I haven't posted anything on the forum for a long time. It's interesting how my life changed ...
Anyway, I need some advice to reduce the pregabalin and if possible to stop it permanently. I stopped taking large doses of tramadol and made it occasional, even though 2 days of use causes mild WDs. I'm taking 600mg a day, I tried to cut it off and it was hell. What would be the best way to reduce it? I have been taking it for almost 3 months, but I used it before, I stopped earlier with the help of opioids, but it is not an option now.

Taper slowly and or switch to gabapentin then taper.

The sad fact is that I never got off of pregabalin in a sense, I only transferred the addiction. I was on 900mg of pregabalin, tapered some, switched to gabapentin and tapered to zero. I was fine during the day but couldn't sleep more than a 1-2 hours a night for 2 months straight. I gave up and got some phenibut. Ive been on phenibut ever since, and i "quit" the pregabalin 6 years ago. Thus i never really got off of the pregabalin.

Gabapentinoid withdrawal insomnia is brutal. The day time anxiety isnt a fraction as psychotic as benzo withdrawal, but the insomnia might somehow be even worse.

Gabapentinoid withdrawal insomnia is brutal. The day time anxiety isnt a fraction as psychotic as benzo withdrawal, but the insomnia might somehow be even worse.
Yes, the insomnia that abstinence produces is horrible, sometimes it gives me interesting lucid dreams, but terrifying and I can't stay asleep.
I guess I'll switch to gabapentin

Yep, I agree with above, I’d taper down the pregabalin a bit and move to gabapentin. It’s much easier to taper with it although I would really take my time. A fast taper will leave you like @negrogesic and suffering terrible insomnia. You really need to taper slowly.

I’d definitely get to 150mg pregabalin before switching over to gabapentin. That’s like 900mg gabapentin equivalent. Then taper slowly. Maybe a decrease of 300mg every two weeks. When you’re near the end I’d alternate days, take 300mg one day then none the next for a week and then quit and see how you get on.

The withdrawal I had the first time coming off pregabalin was brutal. I did it super slow the last time and it wasn’t as bad at all.

Yep, I agree with above, I’d taper down the pregabalin a bit and move to gabapentin. It’s much easier to taper with it although I would really take my time. A fast taper will leave you like @negrogesic and suffering terrible insomnia. You really need to taper slowly.

I’d definitely get to 150mg pregabalin before switching over to gabapentin. That’s like 900mg gabapentin equivalent. Then taper slowly. Maybe a decrease of 300mg every two weeks. When you’re near the end I’d alternate days, take 300mg one day then none the next for a week and then quit and see how you get on.

The withdrawal I had the first time coming off pregabalin was brutal. I did it super slow the last time and it wasn’t as bad at all.

Yeah I think I simply went too fast, resulting in the multi month insomnia. I went from somewhere around 2400mg of gabapentin to 0mg in a month which was too fast. I felt mostly fine during the day but the insomia broke me eventually.

Insomnia is the worst. Whenever I have cold turkeyed from opiates, and managed to deal with the suffering, and feeling determined and strong, the nights are the absolute worst, laying there, every minute feeling like 10 minutes, thrashing with restlessness, screaming, crying from the frustration, utterly unable to sleep. By day 5, sleep deprivation is so bad that I break down emotionally and relapse just to feel some relief and be able to sleep for a night. Insomnia is one of my most frequent triggers to relapse on drugs I shouldn't.

It's a shame benzos are so addictive because they're a miracle for sleeping.

Insomnia is the worst. Whenever I have cold turkeyed from opiates, and managed to deal with the suffering, and feeling determined and strong, the nights are the absolute worst, laying there, every minute feeling like 10 minutes, thrashing with restlessness, screaming, crying from the frustration, utterly unable to sleep. By day 5, sleep deprivation is so bad that I break down emotionally and relapse just to feel some relief and be able to sleep for a night. Insomnia is one of my most frequent triggers to relapse on drugs I shouldn't.

You never try cleaning up your sleep routine? Like winding down properly, using melatonin, no screens etc etc. That’s always worked for me, maybe not the first few nights but by the third it’s kicking in. Hot Lavender bath and then lavender spray on pillow. Now when I smell it I actually get sleepy because of the association.

Try and get some quetiapine (you can find it online) for such occasions. 25-50mg will induce sleep reliably (with 50mg guaranteeing sleep). It isnt as nice or as clean as benzo sleep but it works well. I wish i had tried that first instead of resorting to phenibut.

Hot Lavender bath and then lavender spray on pillow. Now when I smell it I actually get sleepy because of the association.

Wouldnt work for me. I've swallowed too many propylhexedrine "benzedrex" inhaler cottons, which also contain a significant amount of lavender oil. Everytime i smell that fragance im somewhat sickened now 😫

Try and get some quetiapine (you can find it online) for such occasions. 25-50mg will induce sleep reliably (with 50mg guaranteeing sleep). It isnt as nice or as clean as benzo sleep but it works well. I wish i had tried that first instead of resorting to phenibut.

Wouldnt work for me. I've swallowed too many propylhexedrine "benzedrex" inhaler cottons, which also contain a significant amount of lavender oil. Everytime i smell that fragance im somewhat sickened now 😫
Bergamot and chamomile maybe then por vou! Anyway, a week with me and you’d be sleeping kid! I’d bore you to sleep reading a very interesting paper by Paul erdös.

Dunno where I'd get it but I do really need a reliable knock-out agent, as I struggle with insomnia at the best of times. Thanks for the suggestion.

Me too! I can't stand the smell of lavender, for exactly that reason. :ROFLMAO:

You never try cleaning up your sleep routine? Like winding down properly, using melatonin, no screens etc etc. That’s always worked for me, maybe not the first few nights but by the third it’s kicking in. Hot Lavender bath and then lavender spray on pillow. Now when I smell it I actually get sleepy because of the association.

I think part of my problem is that I like staying up late, my mind feels the most free late at night, I'm, not sure how else to explain it. I've always been that way, even as a kid.