• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tips on tapering from heroin

ObieWan

Bluelighter
I have done this successfully a few times by myself, but it's not easy. Starting again was stupid. It's easier than tapering from Suboxone though. Anyways, I was wondering if any seasoned users had tips on doing so. My usage has been as high as 250mg/day. One of the biggest issues is when you get down to doses below 10mg (I'm IV'ing by the way) the half life is so short that 90 min. later you are craving it again. What is the best way to space out doses? More in the morning so that you can function during the day, or more at night so you sleep better? Is it better to take 15mg twice daily or space it out to 3 or 4 doses/day. Twice daily your body has more time in between to detox from the drug, but yet you have higher serum concentration levels than 3-4 times/day dosage. Which is better for a goal of stopping?

I have not tried this, but maybe taking a h2 histamine antagonist such as cimetidine will decrease the half life a bit and make it easier at the lower doses. This inhibits the liver enzymes that break down the drug, the same effect as taking grapefruit juice.

Although the physical symptoms cannot be ignored, a lot of it is mental. You have taken enough to get rid of all the withdrawals, but yet you still want more. Also, it's a little like smoking as there are certain times or rituals that are associated with taking the drug and make you crave it.

Also, what about IM'ing? I've only done this a couple times when I was in a super rush and could not hit a vein immediately. I realize that nobody in a harm reduction forum can condone this method and I know all the risks, i.e. infection, abscess, botulism, tetanus, limb amputation, and it goes on. However, does anybody have any experience with doing this? This will make a low dose ultimately last longer. Perhaps doing this for the last few doses.

Although I have never tried this my Sub doctor many years ago suggested that when on your lowest bupe taper, say you've been on 0.25mg for a week, you take one high dose of 4 to 8mg and this floods the receptors and the body breaks the drug down and the long half life of the drug naturally tapers you off. This was a theory floating around medical circles at the time but I could never find anything about it. IF it does help I wonder if there is a similar effect for heroin.

I dont know if this works for heroin, but I can vouch for Amphetamines. Take Buproprion, even a low dosage 100mg to 300mg daily that makes the Amphetamine ineffective, its like you took a sugar tablet. Though Buproprion is a Rx drug. Good luck.

I think the success rate would be higher if you gave your money to someone you trust and let them control how much you use, for me its too easy to hit a bad patch and take a load of gear,

I think the success rate would be higher if you gave your money to someone you trust and let them control how much you use, for me its too easy to hit a bad patch and take a load of gear,

I do admit that my planned intake dosage is slightly higher than what was originally planned. For example if I plan on taking 3 doses of 8mg, I end up taking a fourth. As I've said I have managed to reduce my consumption to nothing for many months or sometimes many years at a time, so I have done this successfully. I was just wondering if others who do the same have any tips for me for a taper.

I would be interested in trying this myself, I don't IV but smoke 3-5 bags a day, and crack ontop of that, I could go of Suboxone but had a bad withdrawal last time, Maybe a chance of a at home detox.

I think If I could get my usage down that a taper might be a option, though no matter what option I take Its going to hurt either way, you can't play with fire and not get a little burnt.

super hard to taper with your drug of choice. you need almost super human will power. have someone dispense your doses is my advice. i did that with weed when I was kicking it. good lukc mate.

super hard to taper with your drug of choice. you need almost super human will power. have someone dispense your doses is my advice. i did that with weed when I was kicking it. good lukc mate.
Did you just say you had someone taper you Down by dispensing your doses for a marijuana addiction?

I've tried doing some research for my answers and it always brings me to some detox center called "Sunnyside" or "Ocean View, or some shit like that. I would never take Subs or methadone as those are hellish drugs. Once you get your dosage down low enough withdrawals are minimal and it becomes more of a want, not a need. I was looking for some more scientific answers as to the dosing schedule and it's effects on receptors. I just don't know if one higher dosage is better than spreading it out over several doses throughout the day.

I know getting off alcohol, having a drink during the day was the worst thing you could do and it was definitely trying to have the longest interval between drinks which helped me kick it, not trying to space it all out during the day.