tinting my windows.. how dark can i go?

KaNdEbUtTaHfLy

Bluelighter
hey, i searched the forum, and only came up with one result.. im not sure where to look for stuff like this, and i did a search on google and didnt come up with anything that helped.. some of it sounded contradictory, so if someone who knows how to read legal stuff could help me out.. id be very appreciative :)

thanks for the link... it didnt really say what was allowed, but i think ive changed my mind from a 15% to a 20% tint.. hopefully i can go this dark... i got a pretty decent deal, its not something i want to do by myself, so ill just take it in to get it done...

First of all, do you understand the tinting percentages? Basically, the lower the percentage, the darker the window. The "percentage" represents how much light the tint allows into the vehicle.... therefore, a 5% tint is darker than a 35% tint, because it is blocking out 95% of the sun's rays.

As for which is the darkest legal, I've not a clue because I'm in Australia - but armed with the info I have given you above, you can probably phone up any window tinting company in your area, tell them they type of car you have and ask then what is the darkest legal - they should be able to give you their fee over the phone.

- |{elle

i really hate to sound stupid.. but not a single word of either of those links makes a bit of sense to me :(

the first one looks like it cant make anything darker than 35%... but then the second one.. i just dont understand :( sorry to be so dense :-/

35%, if you measure just the film, and 33% if you measure through the window with the film installed :)

how can you possibly make 35% the darkest it can go?!?!? thats fucking ridiculous.. im going to go throw a fit now.. i really wanted 20 or less.. arizona summers are fucking BRUTAL in a black car... :(

its not like a cop is going to be able to accurately determine the amount of tint in the field, if they would even care in first place....and i doubt they would impound your car to find out what percentage of tint your using..

terayon said:
its not like a cop is going to be able to accurately determine the amount of tint in the field, if they would even care in first place....and i doubt they would impound your car to find out what percentage of tint your using..

Actually, TINT METERS are pretty standard in the law enforcement community. Cops tend to take such violations pretty seriously, since it involves their overall safety.

terayon

police officers do have devices that determine % of tint. Thats how people get tickets for having tint that is too dark.

Learned the hard way when I got a ticket for two tone tint (silver top to black bottom of window.) The tint gauge goes ontop of the window where in my case was where it was 20%?.

And I don't think that they would ever impound your car. The just give you a ticket and request that you remove the tint.

Good search Forgotten! :)

I have only this to add: It would be pretty crummy to get pulled over by the police for having excessively tinted windows and then a problem which I will allow you all to use your imaginations to describe arises.

Tint meters were common where I used to live, in South Florida.