• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Tincture Questions.

birdup

Bluelight Crew
I stopped smoking weed a long time ago and I moved to vaping, for health reasons. My doctor now tells me to stop drinking alcohol and vaping/smoking. I have a oesophageal condition called Barrett's. Smoke and vapour can make it worse. Alcohol can make it worse. Acid reflux can make it worse. Any of them can advance this condition into cancer territory over time, so I need to be careful what I do.

I've been having a lot of tincture, but I have a couple of issues.

My tincture doesn't mix into other liquids. It is a deep green. I don't know how much chlorophyll I ended up with. The alcohol I used to extract it was 95%. I tend to do long extractions because I don't have a lot of money. I'm trying to work within a mortgage-friendly budget. Perhaps if I did a shorter wash the tincture would mix into my beer?

If I suck up a dropper of tincture and squirt it into a glass of kombucha or mineral water, or anything at all, it all immediately rises to the top and just sits there. The alcohol is stuck to the oil. They are inseparable. Everything floats on the top of my glass.

Another problem I have with alcohol tincture is: it burns like the devil's cock being rammed down your throat. Needless to say, this probably isn't the best idea for Barrett's.

I can never get tincture concentrated enough without letting the alcohol boil off a bit.

So, that's the back story.

Here are my questions.

1) If I boil off all the alcohol while gradually mixing in MCT oil to replace it, this will result in a highly concentrated MCT oil?

1B) What is the maximum concentration - roughly speaking - for alcohol tincture / MCT oil and how do you achieve the maximum? I don't want to hold anything in my mouth for too long. Weak tincture is a pain in the ass, even if it doesn't burn like alcohol.

2) If I'm making both edibles and tincture, I was thinking of doing a super quick wash (15 min) with alcohol then concentrating that into MCT oil and using the remaining plant matter to make brownies. I assume the quicker the wash the better if I want to make a super concentrated tincture?

3) Is MCT good for sublingual absorption? How does it compare to alcohol based tinctures?

TL:DR

Basically my problem is I want a quick acting cannabis alternative while avoiding consuming alcohol and inhaling smoke or vapour.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

4) Also - I forgot to ask - if you consume tincture sublingually I assume it becomes THC-8 rather than THC-11?

This is my primary way of consuming cannabis. Although we have a tincture thread that covers most of your questions, Making a Tincture, I will answer some of your questions here as well.

1. If you want a highly potent MCT oil tincture, use oil from the start. Skip the alcohol altogether.
a: The highest concentration ratio I'm able to get with tinctures is a 1:1 ratio of pure THC to MCT oil.

2. Quick wash with alcohol reduces the amount of plant matter in the product, but does not necessarily make it stronger. The shorter the wash, the cleaner it is but the potency can be the same.

3. MCT oil works just as good sublingually as alcohol does in my experience. Neither of them work well because THC is hydrophobic.

4. Sublingual is similar to rectal administration in the sense that it is not converted to hydroxy--11 in the liver.

Thanks so much for the reply.

I attempted rectal admin with an alcohol based tincture and it wasn't pretty.

Is there any sublingual method that does work well?

I was under the impression that alcohol extracts THC more efficiently than MCT. So why skip the alcohol? Or am I wrong about that?

Do you consume tincture sublingually? If not why not just use edibles?

Alcohol does extract faster but if you are going to boil it down with MCT oil anyway that won't save you any time or effort.

When I dose tinctures I generally always hold it under my tongue for 30 seconds and then swallow. I also use edibles but tinctures have a huge advantage of not needing to actually eat anything to dose. This comes in handy for people who have appetite disorders such as myself.

Alcohol does extract faster but if you are going to boil it down with MCT oil anyway that won't save you any time or effort.

When I dose tinctures I generally always hold it under my tongue for 30 seconds and then swallow. I also use edibles but tinctures have a huge advantage of not needing to actually eat anything to dose. This comes in handy for people who have appetite disorders such as myself.
I used to find for my self that sublingual tincture of any kind have rappid action and quick absorbtion from mucous membranes.doesnt need even to swallow

Hello birdup,
I have seen many CBD tinctures that are MCT based for Sublingual ROA.
Sublingual can be effective, i sometimes use Isolate this way, or sometimes i put it in my tea but i see exactly what you see it raises all the top like bubbles or something and seperates.

The bioavailability of cannabinoids and cannabis products is always much greater when vaporized or consumed via sublingual vs any oral ingestion. The body will eliminate and excrete much more if you try to eat or consume like a dropper or tablet.
What i found for Sublingual was the best method is just to hold it under your lounge as long as possible and do not swallow for 10 minutes. I do wonder if its only under the tounge though because i attended this short educational lesson on epilepsy, epilepsy types and also medications for epilepsy and in this video it showed you the method to adminster Buccal midazolam in an emergency and it mentioned about the mouth and gums absorbing it and showed diagrams leading me to belive that it could even be the rest of your mouth that could absorb the cannabinoids

How is buccal midazolam given?

How is it given? The midazolam solution should be placed against the sides of the gums and cheek so that the medicine is absorbed directly into the bloodstream. This is known as the buccal or oromucosal route. If the medicine is swallowed accidentally, it might not work as quickly."

I hope this helps

Hello birdup,
Sublingual can be effective, i sometimes use Isolate this way, or sometimes i put it in my tea but i see exactly what you see it raises all the top like bubbles or something and seperates.

The bioavailability of cannabinoids and cannabis products is always much greater when vaporized or consumed via sublingual vs any oral ingestion. The body will eliminate and excrete much more if you try to eat or consume like a dropper or tablet.
What i found for Sublingual was the best method is just to hold it under your lounge as long as possible and do not swallow for 10 minutes. I do wonder if its only under the tounge though because i attended this short educational lesson on epilepsy, epilepsy types and also medications for epilepsy and in this video it showed you the method to adminster Buccal midazolam in an emergency and it mentioned about the mouth and gums absorbing it and showed diagrams leading me to belive that it could even be the rest of your mouth that could absorb the cannabinoids

I hope this helps
Hi Sam I hope you are well tonight mate.

This occurred to me actually as well this to let in particular being much faster for oral absorption.

I actually had my first experience with this several nights ago I bought 1 g of 99.9% CBD Isolate a long time ago but when I vaporizd a little bit of it I had an allergenic reaction so have left it alone since.

But two nights ago out of curiosity I took a little pinch by mouth it tasted quite bitter but I swear I did get some noticeable effects from it even though it's only CBD so I'm thinking THC Isolette would possibly be quite effective psychoactively and fast absorbing as well.

You definitely seem to be experienced and educated and wise Sam which makes it even sillier how I patronised you that day when I really had no fathom over sense overall but you are really cool about it all thanks a lot for that mate.

When I take my edibles it's simply pure coconut oil infused directly so I can literally take it off the spoon in doses up to 10 g typically which is quite an amount of coconut oil but still not exactly eating something.

Hello birdup,

I hope this helps
Sunlingual exposure-under the tongue absorbs,bucal-,gums,cheeks...with different ratio absorb too

Thanks for the responses, people. I'm going to make a small batch of MCT tincture on the weekend.

Darksideam said:

I was under the impression that THC-11 is much more efficient and penetrating the blood brain barrier, which compensates somewhat for the bioavailability issue?

If I have a gram in edibles or I smoke a gram, I don't notice a huge difference in terms of value for money, but that's partly because I can't hold smoke in any more. As soon as it hits my lungs, I have a coughing fit.

Here's another question:

What amount of liquid can you hold in your mouth at once? I noticed with alcohol tincture that my mouth would fill up with saliva if I didn't swallow, which diluted the tincture and made sublingual less effective over time.

I assume it is better to have tiny amounts over a longer period of time?

Thanks for the responses, people. I'm going to make a small batch of MCT tincture on the weekend.

I was under the impression that THC-11 is much more efficient and penetrating the blood brain barrier, which compensates somewhat for the bioavailability issue?

If I have a gram in edibles or I smoke a gram, I don't notice a huge difference in terms of value for money, but that's partly because I can't hold smoke in any more. As soon as it hits my lungs, I have a coughing fit.

Here's another question:

What amount of liquid can you hold in your mouth at once? I noticed with alcohol tincture that my mouth would fill up with saliva if I didn't swallow, which diluted the tincture and made sublingual less effective over time.

Good to be concentrared,cause you dont need big quantity.10min are fully enough to absorb more stuff.But it depends on what kinda tincure is

Here's another question:

ive had the same issue so i know there must be a limit per say but i dont know what that is it could even be differential from person to person

The MCT oil is good but it's not concentrated enough. I have to hold a couple of ml of cold oil in my mouth (which is less unpleasant than smoking, but still unpleasant) for twenty plus minutes and it still doesn't kick in as well as alcohol tincture.

Also, I was hungover this morning so had some tincture but I vomited it into the toilet. Didn't think about that. Next time I'm going to reduce the weed to a concentrate and then mix that into MCT.

@birdup
if price is no object
research "emprise hypernova nano"

each 0.1ml drop is ~2mgTHC with emulsifiers that make it water soluble.
maybe you can figure out how to make it yourself.
we can get it at the government run Ontario Cannabis Store, as a recreational product.
it can be added to drinks (coffee yeah!) or drops can be licked off the palm.
it begins kicking in in a few minutes and is full on before half an hour. (smoking is only 3 times faster really)

No other tincture is as strong or fast acting in the THC arena.

price is a huge element, but I will check that out.
thanks.