• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Timeline of Narcotic (Opiate, Opioid, Whole Opium, Adjuncts) Development & Pain Control

Nicomorphinist

Bluelighter
I believe that such a thing with a focus on pharmacology and medicinal chemistry and also following issues which are connected would be useful to provide various levels of historical analysis

For example such as how tuberculosis, pertussis and the like lit a fire, so to speak, under scientists which produced everything from hydromorphone to heroin to thebacon. The locale of development could very well also be a factor. I will start:

September 1803-March 1805 -- Paderborn, Germany apothecary Friedrich Wilhelm Adam Sertürner isolated morphine from opium, the first extraction of the active principle from a plant
1855 -- Hypodermic syringe is invented.
1874 -- The CA Alders-Wright organisation in Great Britain first synthesise diacetylmorphine (diamorphine, heroin, smack) as a result of research on the effects of different organic acids on morphine.
1914 -- Harrison Narcotics Tax Act
1920 -- Hydrocodone is invented in Germany
1931 -- Austria implements a comprehensive narcotics law, the Suchtgiftverordnung, which is based in part on the German Opiumgesetz of 1929.
1957 -- Pongratz & Zirm patent and begin marketing nicomorphine (3,6-dinicotinylmorphine) in Austria. It is named Vilan by manufacturer Lannacher Heilmittel, honouring a very high mountain in the Alps.
1971 -- The mu opioid receptor is discovered researchers in animal and human experiments involving, inter alia, dihydromorphine radiolabelled with tritium and levorphanol radiolabelled with Iodine 129. The other receptors follow very soon after.

Last edited:
1915 - discovery of oxycodone
1922 - discovery of desomorphine
1923 - correct structure of morphine proposed
ca. 1937 - discovery of methadone
1939 - discovery of pethidine
1942 - discovery of ketobemidone
1946 - discovery of levorphanol
1947 - discovery of MPPP
1952 - total synthesis of morphine
1960 - discovery of fentanyl
1965 - Doyle and Nyswander publish paper on methadone maintenance treatment
1971 - Buprenorphine first trialed in humans
1974 - first synthesis of carfentanil
1976 - Barry Kidston poisons himself with MPTP present in illicitly synthesized MPPP
ca. 1980 - first appearance of fentanyl and analogues as street drugs ("China White")
1986 - Federal Analogue Act in US
1992 - OxyContin patented
1996 - OxyContin approved for sale in US
ca. 2000 - Buprenorphine/naloxone as treatment for opioid addiction (Suboxone)
2002 - Moscow theater hostage crisis - deployment of aersosolized fentanyl analogues by military forces as an incapacitating agent
ca. 2002 - illicit desomorphine use ("krokodil") in Eastern Bloc
2010 - OxyContin reformulated for abuse resistance ("ON" imprint)
ca. 2015 - fentanyl in street heroin, re-emergence of fentanyl analogues
ca. 2017 - the "Opioid Crisis"

Last edited:
Anybody peep this somewhat related 2016 non-fiction, Blitzed: Drugs in the Third Reich: Norman Ohler, Shaun Whiteside? Saw a review when it came out

Also as an aside, shame I didn’t take my chemistry far enough ‘cause there’s no $ in chem. Still right?

Also my apology for double-post, what about invention of listerine and if I’m not mistaken, it’s former aerosolization in the OR: Another great one is “Genius on the Edge”, more though about Dr Halsted and secondary to that the history of medicine in this country.
Think it goes into history of valium