• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Tianeptine WD, is it really that bad?

thurston

Bluelighter
Is Tianeptine withdraw as bad as I'm reading on Reddit? People are saying it's worse than IV heroin WD, is that true? My GF is taking it for back pain and I don't want her getting addicted to something that's has worse than normal opiate WD.

It's not worse than IV heroin in terms of withdrawal. Cold turkey IV heroin withdrawal was the only opioid withdrawal I experienced where I experienced open-eye hallucinations. I'm not talking subtle visual disturbances but full on immersive psychosis-like states, I looked at the sky and the clouds turned into a three headed dragon, followed by loss of reality/time. I remember seeing stuff like that in movies like Trainspotting and always thought that it was theatrical bullshit till I actually experienced it.

Tianeptine withdrawal doesn't compare to that, but it is pretty miserable. I'd liken it to a less intense version of oxycodone withdrawal (which is awful), but with the big benefit of the acute stage being significantly shorter. The acute symptoms are pretty much done by day 4-5. I mean you still feel bad, but the worst of the storm is over.

That said, tianeptine is extremely addictive, and once you start taking it alot, withdrawal symptoms start appearing only 3-4 hours after dosing.

Is she taking tianeptine powder? For someone not accustomed to opioid withdrawal, tianeptine withdrawal can easily feel like the worst thing that they have ever experienced

It's not worse than IV heroin in terms of withdrawal. Cold turkey IV heroin withdrawal was the only opioid withdrawal I experienced where I experienced open-eye hallucinations. I'm not talking subtle visual disturbances but full on immersive psychosis-like states, I looked at the sky and the clouds turned into a three headed dragon, followed by loss of reality/time. I remember seeing stuff like that in movies like Trainspotting and always thought that it was theatrical bullshit till I actually experienced it.

Tianeptine withdrawal doesn't compare to that, but it is pretty miserable. I'd liken it to a less intense version of oxycodone withdrawal (which is awful), but with the big benefit of the acute stage being significantly shorter. The acute symptoms are pretty much done by day 4-5. I mean you still feel bad, but the worst of the storm is over.

That said, tianeptine is extremely addictive, and once you start taking it alot, withdrawal symptoms start appearing only 3-4 hours after dosing.

Is she taking tianeptine powder? For someone not accustomed to opioid withdrawal, tianeptine withdrawal can easily feel like the worst thing they've experienced
Hey not 1 thing wrong with what I read here not like I am anyone to verify over anyone else, but this maybe shouldn't be under tag opiate as it is if I'm not incorrect a quite unique atypical tricyclic antidepressant, but thought it might be worth adding the caveat that the withdrawal symptoms however unusual, for some people do not appear from their first few times using it as medically prescribed, of course this (If I'm correct should not be a cold turkey if possible for the same reasons of SSRI's MAOI's and so fourth although it works a little uniquely different to those).

I am happy to see and encourage in every single way the concern and respect for the use of it in the first place due to possible side affects.

She had been taking 1 of the "red" capsules that are available in smoke shops in the US 1-2 times a day. I read that those are about 100mg or so each. Those are too expensive so I ordered some capsules that are supposed to be 25mg each which she said feel weaker than the "red" capsules. We've only had tye 25mg capsules for a few days and she is cautious so she has not experimented with multiple capsules at one time. She will only take what is necessary for pain relief.

I hope you understand what I mean by the "red" capsules.

Edit: I have been through sub, kratom and hydrocodone WD several times over the last 15 years. I took the "red" pills 3x a day for about two weeks for a compressed nerve root after I ran out of the small norco supply the dr gave me and experience very manageable wd.

For the record 1 or 2 days of any opiate use will cause mild flu symptoms for me so I'm not the best judge of a substance's ability to cause WD, no worse than the if I had taken the same amount of just norco.

Last edited:
She had been taking 1 of the "red" capsules that are available in smoke shops in the US 1-2 times a day. I read that those are about 100mg or so each. Those are too expensive so I ordered some capsules that are supposed to be 25mg each which she said feel weaker than the "red" capsules. We've only had tye 25mg capsules for a few days and she is cautious so she has not experimented with multiple capsules at one time. She will only take what is necessary for pain relief.

Edit: I have been through sub, kratom and hydrocodone WD several times over the last 15 years. I took the "red" pills 3x a day for about two weeks for a compressed nerve root after I ran out of the small norco supply the dr gave me and experience very manageable wd.

For the record 1 or 2 days of any opiate use will cause mild flu symptoms for me so I'm not the best judge of a substance's ability to cause WD, no worse than the if I had taken the same amount of just norco.

Yeah I know what you mean by "red", you're talking about the gas station tianeptine, like "tianna" or other names. I've actually never seen it first hand as I guess they don't sell that shit around here, but I've heard plenty about it.

If she can actually keep it to 1 to 2 pills a day it's not the biggest deal in the world. But tolerance forms quick so not sure how realistic it is. Can you not get kratom in your area? That would be a better alternative. While kratom is addictive, it's not on the level of tianeptine. Kratom is also much cheaper per dose.

Hey not 1 thing wrong with what I read here not like I am anyone to verify over anyone else, but this maybe shouldn't be under tag opiate as it is if I'm not incorrect a quite unique atypical tricyclic antidepressant, but thought it might be worth adding the caveat that the withdrawal symptoms however unusual, for some people do not appear from their first few times using it as medically prescribed, of course this (If I'm correct should not be a cold turkey if possible for the same reasons of SSRI's MAOI's and so fourth although it works a little uniquely different to those).

I am happy to see and encourage in every single way the concern and respect for the use of it in the first place due to possible side affects.

While tianeptine is technically a tricyclic antidepressant by classification, its mechanism of action is very different than related compounds. It is virtually devoid of direct serotonergic activity, yet has notable activity as opioid agonist.

At prescribed doses, the opioid activity, though still contributory to its antidepressant, is not significant to produce typical narcotic effects. Only at higher doses, much higher than prescribed, does the pronounced opioid activity become strongly apparent.

So in context to a website of this nature, tianeptine certainly meets the opioid tag criteria, because almost all discussions here about tianeptine revolve around its use at narcotic doses.

While tianeptine is technically a tricyclic antidepressant by classification, its mechanism of action is very different than related compounds. It is virtually devoid of direct serotonergic activity, yet has notable activity as opioid agonist.

At prescribed doses, the opioid activity, though still contributory to its antidepressant, is not significant to produce typical narcotic effects. Only at higher doses, much higher than prescribed, does the pronounced opioid activity become strongly apparent.

So in context to a website of this nature, tianeptine certainly meets the opioid tag criteria, because almost all discussions here about tianeptine revolve around its use at narcotic doses.
Apologies assumed the rules would be more leaning to clarity and no disinformation kinda thing that they'd wanna have it not classed as but im thinkin a little to analytical maybe, otherwise. Great information and I love to learn something new so thank you for your information and ill look further into it. I do appreciate your input i have seen very little to no research here in Australia on its opiate binding or anything not that is much covered or prescribed here as far as im aware.
<3

Yeah I know what you mean by "red", you're talking about the gas station tianeptine, like "tianna" or other names. I've actually never seen it first hand as I guess they don't sell that shit around here, but I've heard plenty about it.

If she can actually keep it to 1 to 2 pills a day it's not the biggest deal in the world. But tolerance forms quick so not sure how realistic it is. Can you not get kratom in your area? That would be a better alternative. While kratom is addictive, it's not on the level of tianeptine. Kratom is also much cheaper per dose.
Yes we can get kratom but she hates the side effects, it gives her all kinds of weird chest feelings.

Hello,
I'm looking for anyone in the Chicago area who has had good/bad experience with tianeptine.

Is Tianeptine withdraw as bad as I'm reading on Reddit? People are saying it's worse than IV heroin WD, is that true? My GF is taking it for back pain and I don't want her getting addicted to something that's has worse than normal opiate WD.
For me it was fucking horrible.

I had zaza reds and I was taking I think two capsules three times a day.

After 5 days I decided I didn't really like the way it made me feel and so I stopped taking them and withdrawal symptoms started about 12 hours later.

I was sweating and shaking and felt like I had the flu. It was this combination of opiate and alcohol withdrawal, I know alcohol withdrawal. I don't know opiate withdrawal but from what I've heard the shaking and the feeling of having the flu like pain in your bones and muscles.

It lasted about 18 to 24 hours where it was really bad and then it tapered off over the next 12 hours to where it was really not that noticeable and was completely gone within a total of 48 hours, which I know is a lot shorter than opiate and alcohol withdrawal. But then again I'd only used zaza for 5 days.

For only mild sedation that really doesn't feel that good and such a shitty withdrawal. I will never touch them or tianeptine again.

I'm working on a story about the uproar over this substance. There is movement by the federal government to schedule tianeptine and I've heard there are concerns about access --especially for those who have good luck with tianeptine for pain control. On the flip side, some people have unintentional side effects while others with a substance use disorder find it to be helpful. Looking for a voice outside the medical community.

Someone just posted a research paper on Reddit where they took the bottles of Za. Uh I mean the, red pills. They contained about 45mg+-3mg of tianeptine per. Just for future reference.