• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Three things that I believe work in a fluid spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychedelicsoul

Bluelighter
There are 3 things that I believe work in a spectrum rather than a rigid, set and defined entity.

1. Sexuality. As a person who's sexuality has not been 100% consistent, I refuse to believe sexuality is set at birth and never changes. I also don't think you can easilly just define someone as gay, straight, or bi... I think that's just oversimplifying things. For one, I don't feel like debating whether sexuality can change. I'm not interested in science that much and I just don't feel like discussing my religion. But enough about that.
I think this spectrum is not only fluid, but difficult to determine. I don't believe in making assumptions on what anothers sexuality is. For one, I think human beings are more attracted to features than sexes. Think about it, if a man has sex with a transwoman, he's having sex with someone who's biologically male... does that make him gay? Think about it... Some people who are bi prefer one sex over the other, however, it might be for 2 completely different reasons. Even people who share the same sexuality might enjoy completely different things about the sex they're attracted to. Plus, then there's romantic oreintation, which makes things even more confusing.
Asexual people can prefer one gender over another, even if they're not physically attracted. (Asexuals are the only people who I don't think are fluid in sexual desire)

I just don't like how when someone is straight all their life and turn bi in prison people say "He was bi all his life and didn't discover it until prison".... I'm sure that might be true in some cases, but I don't see how that's more plausible than just accepting that sexuality can be fluid. I think both straight and gay people fear the idea of fluid sexuality...
Straight people are afraid to accept the idea that they might, potentially, be attracted to the same sex
Gay people are afraid of religious organizations having more of a reason to promote conversion therapy, that's why a lot of them are aggressive and spiteful to people who claim their sexuality changed.

2. Gender... While not as fluid, I think to some extent peoples gender is fluid. For one, it's sort of an imaginary concept. I mean, what stops me from identifying as an animal? Gender is truely impossible to define when you consider that you can't feel another persons consciousness. I can't experience the mind of another person.
What does being female feel like?
What does being male feel like?
What does it feel like to be gender fluid.
Let's say I was turned into a woman magically, and then I got used to it and adapted... would that make me trans? Is gender a social concept?
Not really...
If gender was a concept created 100% by society, then there would not exist trans people. Gender has to be natural or otherwise, it'd make no sense to believe that someone's gender could be different than how they're raised. Do I believe it's rigidly set in stone? No, but I think it is more so than it is for sexuality. Either way, call me a bigot, but I don't define people by their gender, but by their sex. I think your gender is your business and your business alone. But I do not feel comfortable being a transwoman and I have very harsh, and hateful feelings towards any transperson who decieves people by not disclosing their sex.

I also do not believe in using gender charts or the kinsey scale to define ones self... I think that should be done through some good ol' fashion soul searching

3. Sociopathy
We have this rigid idea of a "sociopath" that goes even into childhood. There's the normal kids, and then there's a sociopaths... You know... They torture small animals, beat up their siblings, hurt themselves and others and wank off to Hostel movies...
Well, I reject such labling. I think there's a sociopath in most people. Like with everything else, I don't think it's so rigid. I think empathy is in people as a spectrum... And I'm sure all of us know from experiance that empathy develops in life and people aren't set in stone. I don't think anyone here wants to argue that people are born evil and can't ever change.
However, besides being changable, I also think that sociopathy is somewhat common and exists in moderate and extreme forms.
We only look at the extreme sociopaths, like animal abusers or serial killers.
I have no sympathy when people I hate die... am I a sociopath? No, but it means that empathy is selective for me.

Let's say a boy is caught abusing a cat and 10 students drive one student to suicide by bullying him... Who's the sociopath? The boy? The bullies? Both did what they did without any empathy. BTW, are trophy hunters sociopaths?

Last edited:
Sorry man, this is just rambling nonsense. As a purveyor and admirer of rambling nonsense, I almost admire your craft- but you've got two slightly unsettling topics open- I see no need for a third.

Gay people are afraid of religious organizations having more of a reason to promote conversion therapy, that's why a lot of them are aggressive and spiteful to people who claim their sexuality changed

Bluelight really is not the platform to be spreading such views. This forum tries to be inclusive, and your stereotyping and generalisations aren't helping.

If you can reduce the vitriol and try and approach topics less like a robot, you might gain something from this site. As it stands, these topics are too adversarial. Sorry man. :\

Closing this bad boy, g'night thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.