• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Thoughts on tripping on LSD in the "desert"?

sandude

Greenlighter
In about a month, I've been planning to go out to the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado. I'm definitely super stoked about it, I'm bringing 3 hits and I was curious on to what people's thoughts might be if you've had experience in an environment somewhat similar in terms of heat and constant exposure to the sun. I was planning on taking 2 at first, then the third if/when it felt right, I've had only a few experiences with LSD as well as other things, so someone's opinion might be different on dosing as well. Most importantly, I want to feel like it's safe, obviously to take a lot of water but wanted to know if anyone had any other precautions to offer as well.

What precautions do you normally take when going on a visit to the desert ? Are you going hiking or climbing - if so then tripping could be a bit dangerous as you may take risks you wouldn't normally take.

Sun exposure would be the first danger, then you have the usual risks of being in a desert - snakes etc.

"I've had only a few experiences with LSD as well as other things, so someone's opinion might be different on dosing as well. "

Then I wouldn't do 3 tabs in the desert. Also, this is the Trop Reports section.

Sorry I meant to put this in the psychadelic forum. Yeah I've never tripped in this kind of environment either, that was kind of the beauty I was looking forward to in the experience, they are large sand dunes I believe so it would be intense I'm sure. I also should mention I'm going to have a sober trip sitter with me the entire time, in case anything at all could go wrong.. If I brought enough water along as well I figure it would make things somewhat safer. If I'm constantly under heat, which I will be is there a higher risk of dehydration due to LSD itself? Should I maybe just take 1 at a time?

Last edited:
I would suggest taking one and than see how its going! And try to find or bring some shade �� peace and have a nice trip

Will anyone be going with you?
Also, this is not a trip report.

ebola

I personally prefer a setting where I have more control over my environment - the beach is OK because you can swim if you get too hot. If you get too hot and thirsty in the desert and have no way of changing your setting, it might be more of a gamble. The priority for you should definitely be access to shade and water.

That said, thousands of people have amazing trips at Burning Man every year, so it's definitely possible to have a great time :)

Yes, I will have someone sober looking out for me. And sorry again, thanks for moving this to the right place

I would prefer to go into an easy environment that I was familiar with and see it with new eyes.

familiarity means that when I have reflex responses they will probably be ok

I don't generally give myself a big challenge on top of dismantling my mental infrastructure

This is a dream of mine to do this one day. If not with drugs then just a "vision quest" type thing.

I would go out there sober a couple of times first to get a feel for it, it sounds like a bad idea to head straight out there and do it your first time unless your sober trip sitter is really experienced or something. Personally I'd camp out there and wait till around 3 or 4 am to trip so you beat the heat and get to see the sunrise.

Definitely take psychedelics in the desert, that's what i plan to do this weekend at a smaller scale burning man-type event.

The heat adds a whole different dimension to the trip, which can seem really unpleasant to some, but it usually leads to more learning and it's a more humbling (not necessarily in a bad way) experience IME.

Do not go to the desert alone, however, this could lead to you getting lost and possibly attacked by an animal of some sort.

Shade and plenty of cold water would be my best advice. I've tripped many times in a hot unforgiving Australian summer and nothing is worse than an oppressive Sun beating down on you for many hours. An icebox full of cold drinks would be an essential of any trip to the desert, sober or not. Sunscreen and a hat go without saying.

I'm assuming you are driving there so at least you are able to pack some essential survival gear. I have a nifty shade tent stored in my vehicle which takes a couple minutes to set up but is invaluable when we head to doof's.

imagejpg1_zps8e5c4b4e.jpg

We also pack cheap spray bottles that we fill with iced water that we spray on our faces during the hottest part of the day. We picked them up for a couple of dollars from any cheap store but the have lasted forever

imagejpg1_zpsce125d33.jpg

I would either plan to arrive at dawn or late afternoon so as to avoid the hottest parts of the day. Obviously tripping in the dark comes with its own dangers but depending on where you are, nothing beats a fire to trip around.

^yep. I wish ai had a shade structure. Would make my desert trips so much easier.

Plenty of water is essential. Bring no less than a gallon or two per person per day. In my experiences, dehydration often dampens the effects psychedelics. As others have stated, a spotter is important. I love taking psychedelics in great expanses of nothingness as it gives the visuals a chance to manifest themselves independently rather than blossoming from preexisting patterns and motifs in your environment.

The CO sand dunes aren't exactly a desert in the way that you might be thinking. It's a high desert and the dunes are just a patch of sand surrounded by mountains and mesas-not the Sahara. You need to read-up on the area. Study the geography and weather and find out what the difference between a high desert and a "desert" is. You've gotten excellent advice here though and remember that it gets cold at night. It won't be as hot as people are saying here but you better take every precaution and I suggest an evening/night trip. It is spectacular and magical and you'll have a blast. Go down into Northern New Mexico and visit the pueblos afterwards.