• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

RCs Thoughts on ketamine for depression?

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
I'm pretty shocked at how illicit ketamine is in general within the USA considering it's one of the safest substances around (iirc you can never overdose on it). I was reading up on studies and the quest for pharmaceutical companies to develop a longer-lasting ketamine product.. it really does seem to be a very prominent anti-depressant from what I've read.

I personally found it to be successful in relieving temporary depression from the two times I've tried it. Anyone else find it to hold a lot of promise in combatting depression? Does it have any withdrawals?

Seems to be somewhat effective in the short term for severe treatment resistant depression, particularly in suicidal patients.

There is no withdrawal as the infusions are given infrequently.

For less severe depression the benefits are less clear, and can paradoxically worsen depression in some (this has been demonstrated in a few studies).

For me it's hit or miss. From my trials with 2fdck (2f-deschloroketamine, which should have substantially similar antidepressant efficacy), I have found sometimes it can sometimes improve and other times worsen it, particularly if the dose is too high. The dissociative state doesn't always take the mind to happy places, and sometimes negative thought patterns can be exacerbated.

I am not severely depressed, perhaps not even moderately depressed (I suffer perhaps from what you might call run of the mill existential dread), so perhaps I am not the best person to describe ketamine's benefits from a personal perspective. That said, I have had instances where a next day antidepressant effect is unmistakably present.

I'm pretty shocked at how illicit ketamine is in general within the USA considering it's one of the safest substances around (iirc you can never overdose on it). I was reading up on studies and the quest for pharmaceutical companies to develop a longer-lasting ketamine product.. it really does seem to be a very prominent anti-depressant from what I've read.

I personally found it to be successful in relieving temporary depression from the two times I've tried it. Anyone else find it to hold a lot of promise in combatting depression? Does it have any withdrawals?

In my experience, yes, Ketamine relieves depression immediately after the effect wears off.
Only one dose is needed and the effects seems to last for a few days, about a week.
If used once per week you won't have any issues if you discontinue use, except ofcourse for not having the antidepressant effect anymore.

As far as I know the primary cause of concern when using Ketamine is kidney and urinary tract toxicity, but it occurs only when it's used multiple times per week and the user increases the dosage due to tolerance.
To give a ballpark figure, I believe using 100 to 250mg per week most likely will not cause issues, hopefully someone else can confirm or correct this number.
The first signs of kidney and urinary tract damage would be increase in the frequency of urination, and it would then progress to blood in the urine and painful bladder irritation.
It seems that if use is discontinued immediately upon the first signs, the damage is reversible.

A few big nights on ket really flicks a switch when you are trying to quit meth. It crushes withdrawals and associated negative feelings for that first few weeks.

There is even an nose spray available for relief of pain and/ or depression. Not that I ever saw one, but that says enough.

They use the Ketamine in hospital setting for treatment resistant depression.

Last edited:
Like @negrogesic has said, great for treatment resistant depression in some people but long term? Not viable in my opinion.

If anyone is interested you need to be looking at studies who’s participants never used ketamine before for a clearer picture.

Ketamine is an excellent option when you’re getting to the end of the bag of tricks when it comes to those difficult cases of treatment resistant depression but it’s not a sure thing even then tbh.

A few big nights on ket really flicks a switch when you are trying to quit meth. It crushes withdrawals and associated negative feelings for that first few weeks.

i think it works great for addictions too...makes me feel very content for some reason

i think it works great for addictions too...makes me feel very content for some reason
I was worried Ic was going to get addicted to it when I first started. I had a few nights when I was getting a bit compulsive with redosing. And I did switch from snorting to IM after a while. But tolerance sets in pretty quickly and taking more becomes pointless. So it’s kind of self-regulating to me.

tolerance sets in pretty quickly and taking more becomes pointless

Exactly I don't understand how it helps depression once it wears off

Alot of people I know who do K regularly actually have a comedown the next day where they feel more depressed, so many batches of different K, some batches work more on the dopamine receptors so you feel like shit the next day after it leaves your system, maybe if you don't take it for fun and not got an addictive personality it might work as an antidepressant but I don't think in the long term it's a good idea

I read on Bluelight few days ago about a person who had pain in the bladder on their first time using K, that don't look good at all if some people can be that sensitive to it, I ain't had any problems with my bladder, but my osofagus on the other hand gets inflamed and I'm meant to take omeprazole twice a day this is from using K daily for 2 months 2 years ago, then 6 months off it but since starting it again doing it occasionally if and when I can afford it or find decent stuff I get flair ups in my osofagus, it's agony and it's if I use K for more than a few days, which I try not to do as tolerence is a bitch and the last time I used it 2 big fat lines done nothing and for once it was decent K so my tolerence is down, the first few lines of the same stuff was good for a change, which is hard to find in the UK right now as most of the K is crap since lockdown, then if you find decent stuff a few lines in your brain adapts to it and it's pointless taking anymore

It fucking sucks and so does depression and anxiety, I have treatment resistant depression and nothing fucking helps apart from benzos and K that I can't stay on, because of fucking tolerence and cost of it all

I'm tapering off vallies onto CBD, if this doesn't help I don't know what to do because again I'm not in a good place, maybe I'm tapering to fast, I hate my mental illness, I hate nothing helps

And now I want some fucking K, after reading about this, if I dissappear from Bluelight again its because just reading about K and other drugs is to much the way I'm feeling now

Yeah K for depression, there's a reason N.I.C.E turned it down after the NHS said yes to spravato in the UK

I've googled the shit out of its ass, K being my favorite and also having mental illness, yet I don't think it's a good idea, people with depression will like the escape to much, they are asking for trouble, before they know it they'll be scoring and snorting street K

Exactly I don't understand how it helps depression once it wears off

Alot of people I know who do K regularly actually have a comedown the next day where they feel more depressed, so many batches of different K, some batches work more on the dopamine receptors so you feel like shit the next day after it leaves your system, maybe if you don't take it for fun and not got an addictive personality it might work as an antidepressant but I don't think in the long term it's a good idea

I read on Bluelight few days ago about a person who had pain in the bladder on their first time using K, that don't look good at all if some people can be that sensitive to it, I ain't had any problems with my bladder, but my osofagus on the other hand gets inflamed and I'm meant to take omeprazole twice a day this is from using K daily for 2 months 2 years ago, then 6 months off it but since starting it again doing it occasionally if and when I can afford it or find decent stuff I get flair ups in my osofagus, it's agony and it's if I use K for more than a few days, which I try not to do as tolerence is a bitch and the last time I used it 2 big fat lines done nothing and for once it was decent K so my tolerence is down, the first few lines of the same stuff was good for a change, which is hard to find in the UK right now as most of the K is crap since lockdown, then if you find decent stuff a few lines in your brain adapts to it and it's pointless taking anymore

It fucking sucks and so does depression and anxiety, I have treatment resistant depression and nothing fucking helps apart from benzos and K that I can't stay on, because of fucking tolerence and cost of it all

I'm tapering off vallies onto CBD, if this doesn't help I don't know what to do because again I'm not in a good place, maybe I'm tapering to fast, I hate my mental illness, I hate nothing helps

And now I want some fucking K, after reading about this, if I dissappear from Bluelight again its because just reading about K and other drugs is to much the way I'm feeling now

Yeah K for depression, there's a reason N.I.C.E turned it down after the NHS said yes to spravato in the UK

I've googled the shit out of its ass, K being my favorite and also having mental illness, yet I don't think it's a good idea, people with depression will like the escape to much, they are asking for trouble, before they know it they'll be scoring and snorting street K
Street ketamine is not suitable for the purpose of treating depression. It’s impure, it’s dosed incorrectly and it’s without the other supporting treatments that go along with a ketamine infusion/nasal spray.

I really advise you to do your best to avoid ketamine at the moment, especially in the UK. The batches are very cut and the RCs it’s cut with are nasty.

The reason why it’s a bad idea for someone with depression to self medicate with ketamine is because they can’t control their use and tolerance shoots up and it becomes pointless.

I am really sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment by the way. I hope you have someone to reach out to? I’m always here if you need to DM someone. ❤️

I really advise you to do your best to avoid ketamine at the moment, especially in the UK. The batches are very cut and the RCs it’s cut with are nasty

Its so crap, like on another thread its mentioned how shit it is right now, like I said though I had some recently that was good proper shardy looking nice K, that dealer has probably ran out, I'd end up going back and it will be a different batch, every batch they've had recently has been different, so good then, then quite good, then completely crap and then bad shit, I should of saved a sample for wedinos but flushed it as it was so bad

The reason why it’s a bad idea for someone with depression to self medicate with ketamine is because they can’t control their use and tolerance shoots up and it becomes pointless

Yep, that's so true, sad but true, I've no one to talk too, I don't want people knowing how low I am, a long term online friend I know from here also going through a hard time, so not sure me and him can help each other right now

And I know misery loves company but I have social anxiety, so another friend in real life who's going through shit we can't help each other as seeing him recently was draining going through my own shit, and trying to help him is hard, and having this anxiety and depression makes me hide away from the world

If I get any deeper in this depression I'll message you got tears writing this, I just want to run away from all social media but then again it's something to take mind off things

Thankyou, you're very kind

Its so crap, like on another thread its mentioned how shit it is right now, like I said though I had some recently that was good proper shardy looking nice K, that dealer has probably ran out, I'd end up going back and it will be a different batch, every batch they've had recently has been different, so good then, then quite good, then completely crap and then bad shit, I should of saved a sample for wedinos but flushed it as it was so bad

Yep, that's so true, sad but true, I've no one to talk too, I don't want people knowing how low I am, a long term online friend I know from here also going through a hard time, so not sure me and him can help each other right now

And I know misery loves company but I have social anxiety, so another friend in real life who's going through shit we can't help each other as seeing him recently was draining going through my own shit, and trying to help him is hard, and having this anxiety and depression makes me hide away from the world

If I get any deeper in this depression I'll message you got tears writing this, I just want to run away from all social media but then again it's something to take mind off things

Thankyou, you're very kind
I’m so sorry you’re so low, please reach out if you need someone to speak to. Don’t hold it all in, that’s never good.

We have such an amazing sub forum too where you’ll find so much support if you wish to share.

Social media can be a curse and a life saver.

The one thing I know though is that getting outside, into some nature, does wonders for the soul. Go for a walk, feel the wind, rain, sun, whatever it is where you are. Just stand and take it in, take some deep breaths and just be. Focus on your breathing, on your being. Ground yourself and start again.

Seriously, I’m always here if you need someone to speak to. Please don’t suffer alone. ❤️