• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

This is why you might not find room 420 in your hotel

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
92344ab5176e30992074c0f2ac0c5801

HAVE you ever noticed room numbers in some hotels go from 419 straight to 421?

Or, perhaps you’ve happened across the very rare room number 419+1, and have no idea why?

It’s not a widespread practice, but some hotel operators have taken to avoiding room number 420 entirely because of its association with cannabis and the troublemaking that sometimes occurs in rooms numbered as such.

Yesterday in Australia, and today in other parts of the world, weed enthusiasts celebrated April 20 — or 4/20, in accordance with American date-keeping — by blazing up with pride, usually at 4.20pm on the dot, and celebrating pot culture generally.

April 20 has been marked in a variety of ways this year, most notoriously with Snapchat’s controversial new Bob Marley filter.

And so enthusiastic are some stoners about their drug of choice they have taken to stealing room 420 signs from hotels for souvenirs, or blazing up in the room itself.

Some accommodation providers have tried to prevent possible mischief by removing 420 as a room number entirely.

Over the years other hotel guests have noticed other attempts by hotels to circumvent the enthusiasm of stoners for the number 420.

This hotel in Colorado, where it is legal to smoke weed, went ahead and stencilled the number 420 onto the door to spare them from having to replace the sign each time it went missing.

68a9d5f441cc9a88d0580a794679ce5e

And as for why 420 is the favourite number for stoners?

That has been debated for generations, but it is most widely attributed to a bunch of university students in California in the 1970s who started the tradition of meeting for a sneaky joint at 4.20pm.

The number has since become cultural shorthand for pot smoking, and has been celebrated in songs, films and other expressions of popular culture.

But 420 is not the only number that has presented challenges for the hotel industry.

Many hotels avoid the 13th floor, reserving it for storage and maintenance or skipping it entirely, due to many people’s morbid fear of the number 13.

Some room numbers are significant in specific hotels, due to their association with horror stories and reports of paranormal activity.

Among them are rooms 217 and 418 at The Stanley Hotel in Colorado, the spooky lodgings that inspired horror author Stephen King to write The Shining.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...l/news-story/4964aad404859f8a2b67c38e96b4734b

I will give you 100 to one that negative disruption of your business is driven by alcohol at a rate of 97% to 3%.

Colorado marijuana sales skyrocket to more than $996 million in 2015

This. So many motel rooms in my hometown got TRASHED, like big person sized holes in the wall (guess how??) ALLLL because of fucking alcohol.
But noooooo lets demonize this slightly stinky plant. Fuck people and their stupid priorities.
I mean I get it if it was a non-smoking room anyway, but still.

I would still think that most pot smokers would respect the no smoking policy, and would more than likely just take a picture of themselves with the sign.