• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

This is a virtually painless way to detox from opiates

MBoxer511

Greenlighter
This bulk of this is using the "Thomas Recipe" which I will describe below, with a few adjustments and my personal annotations (in italics) so you do not have to go through the same learning curve I went through.

This was written when I came off a relapse after about 2 months of 60mg of roxies alternating with 1-2 bags of H a day and whatever opiate pills I could get my hands on in between when needed. I finally had enough and I was amazed at how well this detox process worked. I'd say it killed about 95% of all my symptoms from day 1 and completely knocked out my most dreaded withdrawal symptom, the infamous restless leg syndrome aka RLS.

For the sake of getting a general idea of what dosages will work for you I am male, weigh 165lbs and am in generally good shape. I worked out 3 times a week except for during the time I was relapsing. I also had absolutely no tolerance to any of the ingredients I am going to list if that helps give you a range of what might work for you.

I was able to get through my entire detox with virtually no side effects. I will also elaborate why these ingredients can help after I discussed it with a pharmacist. Once again my annotations will be placed in italics next to the instructions.

*I AM NOT A DOCTOR, THIS IS MERELY FOR REFERENCE. PLEASE CONSULT WITH A PROFESSIONAL IN CASE YOU ARE TAKING ANYTHING THAT MIGHT INTERACT WITH THESE INGREDIENTS.*

THOMAS RECIPE (MBoxer Version)

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

TAPER INSTRUCTIONS:

(I had tapered myself down to 5mg of hydrocodone a day. The key is to take half of what you usually take EVERY 3 DAYS. If you get high, you took too much. Find the amount that makes your withdrawal symptoms go away but keeps you clear headed. Once you find that amount, drop by half every 3 days. [This is usually easier with pills as they are a more exact dosage.] Take half of your dose when you wake up and the other half before bed. I.E. if you are taking 10mg of oxycodone then you would take 5mg in the morning and 5mg at night.

This process will help you psychology begin to adapt to feeling normal in your mind and help with reducing urges.

You should be able to "jump off" between 20mg or less. Technically you can jump off at any point as this process will virtually negate all side effects from withdrawal.

I highly suggest you perform this detox over a 3-5 day span where you have very few or no stressful activities in your schedule. I did this during a 4 day weekend I had during the holidays and canceled any social plans I had under the pretext of "catching the flu". No one wants to be around you when you have the flu and withdrawal symptoms are almost exactly the same as flu symptoms which helped me keep my anonymity of what was really going on.

For the Recipe, You'll Need:

1. Valium/Klonopin (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form (Klonopin has a shorter half life of ~35 hours). Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others. (Melatonin can also be used instead but is not preferred.)

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store. The liquid form is best, make sure it contains Loperamide HCI as the active ingredient. It doesn't have to be the brand name.)

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store. (Can be bought at almost any GNC store.)

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of:

• Zinc
  • Phosphorus (this is difficult to find on its own and might only be available within a multi-vitamin. "Pink sea salt" also contains high dosages of phosporus)
  • Copper
  • Magnesium
  • Potassium (It is virtually impossible to find any potassium vitamin that contains more then 3% RDA or 99mg. The best process is to eat either a banana, apricot, cantaloupe or other high potassium fruit for breakfast WITH your vitamin regiment.)

(The above listed vitamins in the bullet list are usually difficult to find with a 100%+ RDA in a multivitamin. Purchase these separately along with a multivitamin.)
These vitamins can be found at most GNC stores, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS or vitamin stores. They each cost about $2-$8 each per bottle.

5. Vitamin B6 caps (Or a multi B vitamin complex, make sure it contains 100%+ B6)
These vitamins can be found at most GNC stores, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS or vitamin stores. They each cost about $2-$8 each per bottle.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

7. Epson salt
Epson salt can be found at most GNC stores, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS or vitamin store for around $5-$10.

8. Case of bottled water and/or Gatorade

9. Ibuprofen (Advil): 600mg or (3) three 200mg pills. (600mg is equal to the same dosage of ibuprofen in one (1) Motrin)10. Acetaminophen (Tylenol): 1000mg or (2) two 500mg pills. (This can be found in extra strength Tylenol. If you can not find this strength take more of a lower dosage to equal 1000mg.With the exception of the first ingredient the total cost of all items should run you about $40.

There is also product called "elimidrol" which contains natural holistic versions of all of these things and is made specifically for opiate withdrawal except it costs around $135 for the day and nighttime version of the product. If you are interested in that product you can view it here: https://www.elimidrol.com/ I have no experience with that product so I can not attest to its effectiveness.

Why These Ingredients Work:

• Valium: This is the preferred benzo to take. Mainly because it has a long half life and will help counteract the majority of the rebound effects cause from opiate withdrawal. Mentally it will calm you down to the point that any deep urges to use will be either tolerable or non-existent. It also will calm your CNS (central nervous system) and lower your blood pressure, preventing the bulk of the restless leg syndrome and any anxiety. Lastly it is incredibly useful with helping to get a full nights sleep. When you are well rested EVERYTHING is much more tolerable. Obtaining Valium can be easily done by going to a doctor and saying that you had a death in the family or some event that is causing incredible short-term stress. You must stress you only want to take it as needed. It can also be obtained off the street if necessary. You will only need about a 5 day supply. I MUST STRESS, AS NOTED IN THE "HOW TO USE THIS RECIPE", YOU MUST TAPER DOWN YOUR USE OF THE BENZO EACH DAY!

• Imodium: The main active ingredient in Imodium AD is Loperamide HCI. Loperamide is an opioid-receptor agonist and acts on the ?-opioid receptors in the myenteric plexus of the large intestine; by itself it does not affect the central nervous system. It works similarly to morphine, by decreasing the activity of the myenteric plexus, which in turn decreases the tone of the longitudinal and circular smooth muscles of the intestinal wall. In layman's terms this means that physically it effects your body the same way an opiate would but does not cross the blood brain barrier thus will not cause a "high". As stated earlier I had no tolerance to this product. The recommended dosage (in liquid form) is 30ml. Upon having my very first loose stool I would take 45ml. Upon having my second I would take 15mg more. Because it is an opioid-receptor agonist it helped negate many physical side effects of withdrawal symptoms. Once again as stated in the "How to use the recipe" DO NOT TAKE THIS UNLESS YOU NEED IT. It WILL NOT GET YOU HIGH, abusing it will do nothing but make you constipated.

• L-Tyrosine and Vitamin B6 caps: L-Tyrosine helps with production of serotonin. This will help combat the mental fatigue that comes with PAWS (post acute withdraw symptoms). B6 is necessary to take along with this to help with absorption of the L-Tyrosine. The B6 will also help re-balance your nervous system and balance out a steady flow of hormones.

• Epson salt: Epson salt is actually not a salt, it is the salt form of Magnesium. (Opiate withdrawal RLS is not just a result of poor circulation and/or dehydration. It is a deficiency of neurotransmitter chemicals in the nervous system.) Magnesium is responsible for the bio-electrical signals sent in your muscles and helps combat RLS. It is easily absorbed through the skin in this form. This is best used in a HOT bath, as hot as you can safely handle. Pour 2 cups of Epson salt into the bath and lay in it for at least 15 minutes and/or until the water temperature drops to luke warm. *Bonus: Try listening to relaxing music while soaking.

• Water/Gatorade: As a result of the "runs" and sweating you will be losing a lot of water and electrolytes. It is necessary to stay as hydrated as possible in order to help with absorbtion of all the vitamins and to flush out any toxins in your system. This will also help with RLS by preventing any cramping as a result of dehydration.

• Ibuprofen (Advil): Ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by inhibiting the synthesis of prostaglandins, which are fat-like molecules derived from arachidonic acid, which are involved in mediating inflammation (swelling), pain, and fever. Essentially it effects the way your nervous system sends pain signals to the brain and reduces your CNS from causing inflammation. This also will help combat RLS.

• Acetaminophen (Tylenol): Acetaminophen belongs to a class of painkillers known as non-opioid analgesics. It appears to reduce pain primarily in the central nervous system by more than one mechanism, possibly in part by inhibiting a form of COX known as COX-3. In layman's terms it effects the way the brain perceives pain. That is why in combination with Ibuprofen you are reducing the way pain signals are sent TO your brain and also REDUCES how your brain is interpreting these signals. *Acetaminophen can be toxic to your liver in dosages over 4000mg, do not take more that 4000mg in 24 hours.*

How to Use the Recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food (along with 600mg of ibuprofen and 1000mg of Acetaminophen). Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

(It is virtually impossible to find any Potassium vitamin that contains more then 3% RDA of potassium. The best process is to eat either a banana, apricot, cantaloupe or other high potassium fruit for breakfast WITH your vitamin regiment.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

(On Day 1 I started with 5mg in the morning, 5mg during the day and 5mg at night. It was the most peaceful, solid sleep, I had with absolutely NO RLS throughout the night. Because of the long half life I continued to feel the relaxing effects during Day 2 but was still able to function therefore I didn't need any Valium in morning or day. That night [Day 2] I took 10mg and went right to sleep, again with no RLS and feeling refreshed for Day 3. On Day 3 I felt calm during the day, very tolerable urges, and only took 5mg before going to sleep. On Day 4 I took 5mg again before going to sleep and then no longer needed the Valium from that point forward. *Remember Valium has a LONG HALF life, around 10 days, so you are stacking it in your system each day which is why it is imperative you taper down!)

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

(This would be the time to make use of the Epson salts. I would take a hot shower in the morning then at night, before bed, I would soak in the tub with 2 cups of Epson salt mixed in. While the bath was filling up I would take my dose of 600mg of Ibuprofen, 1000mg of Acetaminophen and whatever dose of Valium I was to take that night based on which day of withdraw I was on. I would play some relaxing classical music to help keep my spirits up and then be appreciative knowing I am one night closer to getting clean!)

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

(The 2nd, 3rd and part of the 4th day I would wake up and have to use the bathroom about 2-4 times in the morning. Immediately after having my first loose stool I would take 45ml of liquid Imodium. On days 2 and 3 I took an additional 15ml of Imodium after my 2nd loose stool of the morning. After taking a second dose, if needed, I had absolutely no stomach issue for the next 24 hours. Each following morning my runs became less and by day 4 they were gone. *Make sure you DO NOT USE the Imodium BEFORE going to the bathroom. You must wait until AFTER you go in order to gauge how your stomach is recovering.)

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate withdraw malaise (low energy). Upon rising (on an empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

(To get myself "moving" I would plan at least one (1) errand to perform for the day. Something that gave me a reason to wake up, take a shower and go outside. Usually it would be something like going to Walmart to get more Gatorade, putting gas in my car, etc. This got my body moving and helped circulated everything inside of me. It also gave me a reprieve from focusing on the fact that I am withdrawing.)

Mind Set:

It is of the up most importance that you keep your spirits up. For myself I got a copy of every Harry Potter movie so every night and day I could watch something that was entertaining and light-hearten. STAY AWAY from dramas, drug and depressing movies! I would turn my phone off in 2 hour spurts so I could have some "me time" and would play some easy, non-stressful video games along with reading positive books. I once read a quote from another poster here that sums it all up (I'm paraphrasing):

"The most important weapon in the arsenal against quitting drugs is a certain mindset. One composed of patience, honesty, determination, open-minded understanding and discipline. Without that we are lost. That mindset is a weapon of success that all forms of recovery, from secular to faith based, agree on."

You can do this. I was able to do it just as many have before me and many after me will. I believe in you and you must believe in yourself. There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. I use to think by taking drugs that a moment of pleasure was worth a lifetime of pain, but I now know that a moment of pain is worth a lifetime of glory.

Last edited:
Im not sure if you really meant 30mg, but the actual recommended dose of Immodium A-D liquid is 30ml which equals 4mg. This is for diarrhea and I understand people attempt to use more for WD, but it also can be dangerous in excessive doses.

The Thomas method has been around for quite a while and it's a bit controversial. Some claim to have had great success whilst other subjective reports say it does nothing.

Personally I've not tried it so can't vouch for or against, however I would say this; knowledge is power and I see no harm in giving this a short!

Thanks for sharing.

Namaste,
mysticbeef

Loperamide (Imodium) helps, or can help (My case at least) much more than 'just' stopping the 'stomach issues'. I was even able to sleep in the middle of my worst and only real WD I experienced. WD can be a nightmare even when you exclude diarrhea. I felt tense like I was on electric chair. Strange feeling, cannot explain it really, was sweating quite badly, second day no sleep. Then while I was lying in bad my skin started burning, it was so hot that it really hurt. That was followed by completely opposite freezing, and I started shaking like crazy.
At that point I considered a possible few day constipation would not be an issue (It lasted for 3 days IIRC.). I took 6 tablets (6x2mg), after already taking approx. that much IIRC (more or less) during the day to treat diarrhea. Soon afterwards I started feeling much better. I still felt tense but much less, and some strange pulsation in my head, but I drift of and had a real nice sleep. Next morning had started quite badly, but I received my 'Prozium' again, around noon sometimes, and here we are 2.5 years later...

Last edited:
Btw. I am not the only one who reports Loperamide does much more than stopping bowel issues. I am sure one can find lot of these reports here in forum, or rather in the archive.

Im not sure if you really meant 30mg, but the actual recommended dose of Immodium A-D liquid is 30ml which equals 4mg. This is for diarrhea and I understand people attempt to use more for WD, but it also can be dangerous in excessive doses.

Your right, I meant 30ml (milli liters) my mistake.

Btw. I am not the only one who reports Loperamide does much more than stopping bowel issues. I am sure one can find lot of these reports here in forum, or rather in the archive.

The reason Loperamide is so effective with opiate withdrawal (and a main ingredient to this recipe) is because (as stated in the OP):

"Loperamide is an opioid-receptor agonist and acts on the μ-opioid receptors in the myenteric plexus of the large intestine... this means that physically it effects your body the same way an opiate would but does not cross the blood brain barrier thus will not cause a "high"."

You're essentially still introducing opiates into your body. Which is why you should only take it early on and gauge when to take it based on bowel movements. If you abuse it then you are only prolonging the withdrawal symptoms.

One thing I wanted to add to this is that Valium can be replaced with Klonopin. I found it is actually more effective because it has a shorter half life (~35 hours) while Valium is several days. The advantage of this is that you won't feel as groggy when the Klonopin wears off. Taking .25-.5mg a day for days 1-3 of a withdrawal lowers the blood pressure which seems to be the cause of many symptoms (insomnia, anxiety and muscle cramps). By day 3-4 you can stop taking the Klonopin and it's effect wear off quickly. By then those withdrawal symptoms are gone and all that is left is some lethargy which is no NOT being amplified by any anti-anxiety pills.

Additionally I found Kratom to be VERY helpful for acute withdrawal. Especially for the insomnia and lethargy one feels during the day. If taken for no longer then a week there will be little to no risk of transferring the addiction to Kratom. Addiction potential is similar to caffeine.

I made a post about general kratom information here: http://bluelight.org/vb/threads/836835-General-(kratom)-info

Tips for quitting Suboxone here: http://bluelight.org/vb/threads/828077-Here-is-some-good-SUBOXONE-info-to-HELP-YOU-QUIT!