• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

This Bolivian Drug Trafficking Prison Has Got To Be The Strangest Jail In The World

poledriver

Bluelighter
This Bolivian Drug Trafficking Prison Has Got To Be The Strangest Jail In The World

562e1b3c01d8b.JPG

In the heart of La Paz city, in west Bolivia, lies one of the strangest and most backwards prisons in the world.

San Pedro Prison, home to 3000 male convicts, is rife with criminal activity such as the production of cocaine, the electrocution of sex offenders.

It was made famous by Australian author Rusty Young, whose 2003 book Marching Powder opened up about the drug-trafficking and crimes that continuously run throughout the prison. After 12 years, Young returned to the jail and nothing much had changed.

The bizarre place has no real security system, with the prisoners calling the shots themselves in a sort of self-declared sovereignty. The guards only patrol the exterior of the prison and their only job is policing escapees.

Bizarrely some of the purest cocaine in the country comes from within the prison itself, external guards taking bribes to supply the manufacturers within the prison walls. Prisoners must pay for their own rooms in San Pedro and the sale of cocaine provides the best income of cash rather than kitchen or cleaning jobs.

Children can apparently be seen playing video games and wondering around the place as families of inmates are actually considered safer on the inside of the prison, rather than being left on the streets of La Paz.

562e1b8db9bb1.JPG

Despite this being the case it's not completely safe (as you'd probably expect) and In 2013 there were reports of a 12-year-old girl being raped and impregnated by a group on inmates.

However, the inmates don't tend to tolerate any sexual offenders or molesters and these offenders are often dragged, beaten and stabbed in a small concrete well before being electrocuted in front of a crowd.

Despite the ridiculousness of the prison, it is cheap to run as it is funded by the inmates rather than the government, so every cloud, I guess.

http://www.theladbible.com/articles...-got-to-be-the-strangest-prison-in-the-world?

I think i seen this on VICE a while back, or one of them "out-there" news programs. It seems pretty weird but i feel its probably a smart idea. Just my $0.02.

The idea of a prison that's de facto run by the inmates (with guards simply tasked with keeping the inmates in one general location) isn't uncommon in South America. The same situation exists in other South American nations like Venezuela, Brazil etc.

Some places in central America as well, like that one prison in Honduras (IIRC) that's run by MS-13

I remember visiting San Pedro prison with some other students when I was in college as a volunteer and researcher. It was beyond fascinating for someone who only knew a little bit about criminal justice systems outside the US, and then only in the West, and didn't really know anything about prison systems outside the US either. In fact, it was that trip to SP that got me fascinated with alternatives to the draconian sentences (well as far as non-violence crime unrelated to white collar crime) and Orwellian prison and jail systems that commondatize inmates, destroying the potential lives of those who's sentences don't leave them to rot until their death.

In any case, the memory that really sticks with me is how, on one of my first visits, I ran into a hot tub inside the prison with dudes relaxing, enjoying some beer, smoking a blunt, just chilling. Such a stark contrast to how things are in my country's prisons...