Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Thinking of trying Ecstasy for the first time at a festival

Stringer_Bell

Bluelighter
Hi all,

My first post here. I have a question which I will be very grateful for views on. I have searched previous Bluelight threads and read about experiences on other sites (like Erowid) but if my question has been asked before, I apologise in advance.

Cliffs

- I have experience with other drugs and take prescription d-Amp regularly
- I want to roll for the first time at a festival on Molly which has been tested using dancesafe's testing kit (all four tests)
- I plan on taking very small amounts
- Will the experience be overwhelming?

I've used LSD, Weed and Coke before. The only non-prescription drug I've taken in the last decade is coke and that was a couple of lines only. I was surprised by how mild it was (probably not good coke). However I do take prescription dexamphetamine on a semi regular basis. I've taken it dozens of times, but never more than 60mg in one session.

The above is just background to my experience with drugs. My question is as follows. I'm going to a festival in just over a week. I really want to try Molly the first time and think I wil have access to good stuff. I also bought the complete test kit from dancesafe (four different tests) and will of course test what I'm taking. My worry is that the experience is going to be too intense and it might freak me out, especially in that atmosphere. If I take a really small amount, are the effects still likely to be overwhelming? I know Molly is really different from amphetamines but if I can handle a good dose of d-Amp is Molly likely to be way more powerful? Also, I know people say not to roll more than once every couple of weeks. I get to the festival on Wednesday. If I try some Molly then, just to see how I react to it, would it be silly to do it again on Saturday at the festival?

I know nobody can give concrete answers to my questions. Drugs affect everybody differently. However I would just welcome some views on this, just opinions. I would really like to roll at this festival but not sure if doing it there for my first time may be too much. If I do take it, I'll take a very small amount (I would get it as powder/rock and just take very small amounts of it at a time).

Many thanks for taking the time to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
One additional thing. My big fear is getting LTCs from rolling just this once. For those of you who roll aren't you scared of this happening to you? From reading reports on this forum it seems that some people get them from rolling just once.

Hi there,

If I take a really small amount, are the effects still likely to be overwhelming?

Nope. If you take a really small amount you won't feel much at all. It's not some super powerful drug it's just like any other drug that has different effects at different doses.

I know Molly is really different from amphetamines but if I can handle a good dose of d-Amp is Molly likely to be way more powerful?

Why is it really different? I've tried both and they're fundamentally similar. The main difference is that MDMA is far more euphoric, empathogenic and meaningful. In terms of physical stimulation they're very similar. If you can handle amphetamines you can handle MDMA which is also an amphetamine.

If I try some Molly then, just to see how I react to it, would it be silly to do it again on Saturday at the festival?

There's honestly no point in trying a small amount 'just to see how you react'. If you're gunna try it then go for it at a proper dose and experience it properly. Once you're up it's fine and it's only the anxiety and fear of taking this unknown drug that stops you right now. I remember it myself.

Also, I know people say not to roll more than once every couple of weeks

General rule of thumb is once a month and it's safest to limit it to once every 2-3 months.

Drugs affect everybody differently

True, but at the same time they all affect us fundamentally similar. There will always be slight differences in how we behave on drugs based upon our personalities, experiences, settings etc but the drug will still do similar things for everyone.

I would get it as powder/rock and just take very small amounts of it at a time

Same applies as before. MDMA is an 'all or nothing' kind of drug. Taking too little is pointless because it won't produce the experience. If you want to take it you need to commit to a reasonable dose (80-120mg is fine for a first time) and enjoy the euphoric ride. Taking 20-30mg here and there won't make you roll and can often produce less pleasant, uncomfortable experiences.

My big fear is getting LTCs from rolling just this once. For those of you who roll aren't you scared of this happening to you? From reading reports on this forum it seems that some people get them from rolling just once.

LTCs are usually something stemming a lot farther from the actual drug usage when it happens from just one use. So no I'm not scared of it happening. I'm of the opinion that they're psychological and not actual damage to the brain.

JWills thank you SO much for the detailed reply and for addressing each one of my questions and concerns. Everything you said makes perfect sense. You're right, I'm not going to find out what swimming is like by dipping my toe in the water (not the best analogy but the best one I could think of). I was just afraid that MDMA would be a completely overwhelming experience and I would freak out. You really put my mind at ease and hopefully I'll be able to take it now without worrying that I'm going to do myself irreparable damage.

If I can ask one more question. Is it possible to have a bad trip on MDMA in the same way that it is on LSD? One of the reasons that I always felt safe with amphetamines is that you can't have a bad trip as such, although it did cause panic attacks a couple of times. I could handle that panic because it never felt horrible otherworldly, no hallucinations, etc.

I was just afraid that MDMA would be a completely overwhelming experience and I would freak out

At the right dose it's actually a very smooth and easy drug to handle. I can't handle weed which some people regard as a 'soft' drug but I can handle MDMA with ease. It's just societies perception that MDMA is some sort of super powerful, hard drug that's making you anxious now. I used to feel the same before I tried it.

hopefully I'll be able to take it now without worrying that I'm going to do myself irreparable damage

I've read enough about MDMA over the years to know that it doesn't do this. Anybody telling you is lying. The stories you read on the internet are usually freak incidents or people taking other drugs which they thought were MDMA. You need to buy a test kit to make sure that what you take is MDMA and not something else. There's a lot of shit stuff sold out there to make money. I've been taking tested and confirmed MDMA at reasonable doses for about 3 and half years now and I haven't had any issues.

Is it possible to have a bad trip on MDMA in the same way that it is on LSD?

While there's still a psychedelic component, the chances really are quite slim. You'd have to be in a shitty setting with shitty people causing shitty vibes combined with a shitty original headspace I'd imagine. Some parts of the MDMA experience can feel strange, unusual or uncomfortable but they're usually short-lived and the majority is clear-headed euphoria.

Thanks so much for the responses to my follow up questions.

I bought a testing kit from Dancesafe (there are four separate tests) so I will definitely be testing it properly. I wouldn't dream of taking untested MDMA, some of the stuff it's cut with sounds awful.

I also have Xanax so if anything bad does happen I think I can always take that and it will help me calm down.

Thanks again!

Sorry if I'm just posting somthing someone else has already posted but I didn't read threw the whole thread. My advice would be to find some Molly and test it using a test kit. If it's pure then you'll have a great time at that festival. It takes about 30 mins to kick in (if taken orally which is the only way I've taken it) it affects everyone differently just like another drug

But my first time started out when I noticed that colores looked really vibrant! And after another 5 minutes of enjoying that I got this crazy feeling of euphoria it was like a vibration all over my whole body you might get some chasers I did (chasers are when lights smear and stuff) over all it was a great experience

Thanks very much for your post Baker. I'm very grateful for anyone posting advice/experience in this thread.

I will be getting what I am told is 'pure' Molly in rock form (although this is from a new person and so there is no particular reason to trust him other than that he offered to test it in front of me) and then I will be testing it myself using a kit I bought from Dancesafe (I got the best one they have - there are four separate tests). I'm really looking forward to it, just nervous, after a terrible experience with LSD I had many years ago. Although I've done coke, xanax, dexamfetamine since then, I suppose I'm a bit wary of taking any drug that resembles LSD in any way. But after the posts from you and JWills I feel much better. It seems that Molly is quite anxiolytic which is the opposite of what I expected. I had thought it would be anxiogenic.

Just in case I do find it too much at the festival and need to 'mute' or end the roll, would taking a couple of Xanax be ok?

Thanks so much.

Thanks very much for your post Baker. I'm very grateful for anyone posting advice/experience in this thread.

I will be getting what I am told is 'pure' Molly in rock form (although this is from a new person and so there is no particular reason to trust him other than that he offered to test it in front of me) and then I will be testing it myself using a kit I bought from Dancesafe (I got the best one they have - there are four separate tests). I'm really looking forward to it, just nervous, after a terrible experience with LSD I had many years ago. Although I've done coke, xanax, dexamfetamine since then, I suppose I'm a bit wary of taking any drug that resembles LSD in any way. But after the posts from you and JWills I feel much better. It seems that Molly is quite anxiolytic which is the opposite of what I expected. I had thought it would be anxiogenic.

Just in case I do find it too much at the festival and need to 'mute' or end the roll, would taking a couple of Xanax be ok?

Thanks so much.
I think your really worrying way to much about not being ok friend. While I appreciate you doing the research, testing your drugs, coming to BL for questions; just relax and if all the test come back ok. Property weigh your doses and enjoy the ride.

Edit: as you said, you shouldn't trust anyone with drugs except yourself. Everyone out there has "pure" Molly. Lmao and let's start to be a little more appropriate with terminology and call it MDMA because the term Molly has come to IMO hold a negative stigma meaning any powder people sell that'll get you messed up without really knowing what it is. Back when Molly wasn't a "thing" it did mean MDMA in crystal form, but that was a long
Time ago.

Thanks Mazzab. Yes, I'm throwing around the word Molly just because it's what I hear lately but you're right, it's MDMA I'm looking for. I guess the test will only test for presence ant not purity of MDMA. But it will also test for lack of presence of other adulterants which is also important I guess.

Yeah I'm stressing a bit probably because I've done too much reading. Especially the 'LDR' recovery stories which freaked me out a bit. I'm planning on going to more festivals after this and so this is something I would like to be able to do once every few months. Since the bad experience at 17 years old (before which I would have happily gobbled any pills that anybody handed me - was stupidly reckless then) I'm always very nervous before trying a new drug but have had no problems with coke or amphetamines, so I think I'll be fine. And I'll be with my gf who I obviously trust completely.

imho mdma can be overwhelming, but not at all on the way that everything's too much for you to handle as can happen with lsd. it is overwhelming (at least when you don't know what to expect) in a sense that you'll feel overwhelming euphoria and a feeling that everything is alright in the world. if that feeling is missing (which can sometimes (though not on the first time) happen when the circumstances aren't right or when you've abused mdma), then it feels like a stoning and a bit weird amphetamine high.

personally, i don't worry about a ltc at all. you see lots and lots of people take mdma and quite a few abuse it and very few have problems. but out of these people a disproportionally large percentage go to the internet, research and stumble upon the ltc thread on bluelight. so these people appear hugely overrepresented. in addition to that the most likely cause for a ltc is anxiety and if that's the case you can stop a ltc in its tracks by taking xanax right from the beginning if you notice any symptoms. i know many people who have taken mdma and some of them abused it. the only person i know that has experienced ltc symptoms is myself and i've had anxiety issues before trying mdma. ime xanax reliably kills anything that resembles a ltc.

it is possible, but i would place the chance of having a bad trip pretty close to zero. i've had a few very unpleasant experiences with lsd and none with mdma. usually the people reporting "bad trips" have something very unpleasant happening to them while rolling such as getting arrested, getting beaten up or something. still, in the extremely unlikely case that you'd find yourself in such a situation, xanax is your friend.

the only way i can image that you'd have a anxiety-inducing experience is if you overdo it. then it can be weird and confusing once the euphoria subsides. still, it's going to be totally different than lsd, and the weirdness can even be enjoyable, even after having a mind-shattering experience with acid. you'll not be caught in a loop and will snap out of it after a few minutes.
the easiest way to avoid this altogether is to take a sensible dose and not redose more than once with half that dose (or even better not to redose at all).

Thank you Black, that was a really helpful post. You and the other posters ITT have set my mind at ease. And your post especially reassured me that MDMA is a very different experience from LSD.

I'm very happy to be overwhelmed in a good way. I love feeling like that (I haven't taken with MDMA but I get a bit of that just with speed) and it totally relaxes me. I just don't want overwhelming anxiety.

I'm also glad you mentioned about the Xanax. I had actually taken Xanax before doing Coke for the first time (taking the coke was purely spur of the moment when I walked into the living room and my roommate and her friend were doing lines - when I took the Xanax I hadn't known I would be trying coke for the first time that evening) and the experience was so calm and smooth but enjoyable as well. And absolutely no comedown (although I only did a couple of lines and didn't get that high, so I suppose not having a bad crash makes sense).

I'm going to do no more than 100mg of MDMA and am definitely not going to redose.

I remember seeing the event name you were going to before it was removed (rightfully so), and I'm so envious. I haven't gone to that event after it moved to over there, but the only thing I can add is to really stay with your group. I heard the capacity reaches to the tens of thousands, and no doubt it will be a bitch just to walk through to any of the main stages. Yes it will be hectic, but mostly everyone will be on what you are on too so take some comfort in that. It's a rave after all, better get used to the chaos. ;)

I'm too old for this scene now, haha. Indeed, have fun.

I remember seeing the event name you were going to before it was removed (rightfully so), and I'm so envious. I haven't gone to that event after it moved to over there, but the only thing I can add is to really stay with your group. I heard the capacity reaches to the tens of thousands, and no doubt it will be a bitch just to walk through to any of the main stages. Yes it will be hectic, but mostly everyone will be on what you are on too so take some comfort in that. It's a rave after all, better get used to the chaos. ;)

I'm too old for this scene now, haha. Indeed, have fun.

Ah sorry to the Mods, didn't realise I couldn't mention the name of the festival.

I wish you hadn't said you're too old for this scene, I'm probably older than you are! I do feel old to be going (30's, let's just leave it at that) but I've never been to a music festival before and am pretty excited about it. I joined this social media group for the event and there do seem to be a fair amount of people in their 30s and 40s who are going (although they're a minority of course). Well I'll just try to enjoy and blend in.

We got VIP ticket passes, only because at the time I bought them General Admission was sold out. But now I'm quite glad we got them because it won't be quite so crowded in the VIP sections. Other than that and better restrooms there aren't any real advantages.

I hope you will come to the event next year and hopefully we can meet in person! In the meantime thanks very much for the advice. It does help that probably 50% or more of the people will be on the same stuff as me, so I won't feel paranoid about looking high. It's so weird the way different drugs affect us. On LSD I was so paranoid people would know I was high (plus I knew that I couldn't interact in any normal way with people) that I would have to avoid being around people altogether. On Dexamphetamine I'm so confident (almost megalomaniacal) that even if I think people know I'm high (talking fast, etc), it's just irrelevant to me, I couldn't care less.

Ah sorry to the Mods, didn't realise I couldn't mention the name of the festival.

I wish you hadn't said you're too old for this scene, I'm probably older than you are! I do feel old to be going (30's, let's just leave it at that) but I've never been to a music festival before and am pretty excited about it. I joined this social media group for the event and there do seem to be a fair amount of people in their 30s and 40s who are going (although they're a minority of course). Well I'll just try to enjoy and blend in.

We got VIP ticket passes, only because at the time I bought them General Admission was sold out. But now I'm quite glad we got them because it won't be quite so crowded in the VIP sections. Other than that and better restrooms there aren't any real advantages.

I hope you will come to the event next year and hopefully we can meet in person! In the meantime thanks very much for the advice. It does help that probably 50% or more of the people will be on the same stuff as me, so I won't feel paranoid about looking high. It's so weird the way different drugs affect us. On LSD I was so paranoid people would know I was high (plus I knew that I couldn't interact in any normal way with people) that I would have to avoid being around people altogether. On Dexamphetamine I'm so confident (almost megalomaniacal) that even if I think people know I'm high (talking fast, etc), it's just irrelevant to me, I couldn't care less.

lol, I apologize. I'm 31 now, and I use to go to those raves all the time but my friends are no longer interested. They said we're too old for it, haha, and I think it's because we've met so many teens there. But if you haven't gone yet, you should definitely go. The venue is bigger now, and so is the scene.

I'd like to meet a BLer I haven't met yet, that would be interesting for sure. Mayyybe I'll go next year, if I can convince my friends to just hit up the casinos at least. It's actually not too far away from me, as I have driven up there a handful of times. It's also a couple days straight, right? I'd have to pick a day because there's no way I'd party 3 days straight lol, I'd collapse or something.

Yeah, the dexes seem to be stronger than adderall. On mdma, socializing will surprisingly be easier than even that, as I am usually kind of quiet in person, but that gets reversed and I know exactly what to say without thinking about it. The same should happen for you, as that is definitely part of the magic of mdma.

Be safe and remember to intake your stuff before you go in. Don't bring it in with you. The vip lines are wayyy shorter, so I think that's probably the best part. Enjoy the rave!

lol, I apologize. I'm 31 now, and I use to go to those raves all the time but my friends are no longer interested. They said we're too old for it, haha, and I think it's because we've met so many teens there. But if you haven't gone yet, you should definitely go. The venue is bigger now, and so is the scene.

I'd like to meet a BLer I haven't met yet, that would be interesting for sure. Mayyybe I'll go next year, if I can convince my friends to just hit up the casinos at least. It's actually not too far away from me, as I have driven up there a handful of times. It's also a couple days straight, right? I'd have to pick a day because there's no way I'd party 3 days straight lol, I'd collapse or something.

Yeah, the dexes seem to be stronger than adderall. On mdma, socializing will surprisingly be easier than even that, as I am usually kind of quiet in person, but that gets reversed and I know exactly what to say without thinking about it. The same should happen for you, as that is definitely part of the magic of mdma.

Be safe and remember to intake your stuff before you go in. Don't bring it in with you. The vip lines are wayyy shorter, so I think that's probably the best part. Enjoy the rave!

Thanks man. Yeah it would be great to see you there in the future. It's 3 days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday). I'm going to stay completely sober on Friday, roll on Saturday then maybe just drink a bit on Sunday. I'm still worried it's going to be too much. I'm flying from the UK as well so I will have jetlag on top of everything. It will either be the best weekend ever or the most stressful. Maybe both.

Really cool that MDMA is sociable. Acid was the total opposite for me. I was just completely in my own world, although if I did hang out with a good friend I'd be laughing pretty much all the time.

I'll do a report on how it goes, if I'm still alive!

Thanks man. Yeah it would be great to see you there in the future. It's 3 days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday). I'm going to stay completely sober on Friday, roll on Saturday then maybe just drink a bit on Sunday. I'm still worried it's going to be too much. I'm flying from the UK as well so I will have jetlag on top of everything. It will either be the best weekend ever or the most stressful. Maybe both.

Really cool that MDMA is sociable. Acid was the total opposite for me. I was just completely in my own world, although if I did hang out with a good friend I'd be laughing pretty much all the time.

I'll do a report on how it goes, if I'm still alive!

Wow, no wonder you're going for all 3 days. That's understandable since you're from the other side of the Atlantic! You should definitely bet on having fun, lol, there's a lot to do there where you're going. :) but that festival is the main attraction and customarily some of the best dj's should be there too.

Yup, report back and let us know how it goes. As well as how your first roll went! The first should be the best, or close to it, so cherish it for sure. Be safe too!