• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Thinking of switching to Oxycontin to Oxycodone

easysweep

Bluelighter
So I have severe neuropathy and am ready to give up on life. Im very young an have a whole life ahead of me. The problem is, Ive had chronic pain for twelve years now, (20 now), and the current opioid climate has put me in a bad position.

I run out very fast of my pain medication. And the reason why is that the pain doctor wont give me enough medication to cover me for the month.

Why do you ask? because doctors are terrified of losing their license; but also in a fear of overpresrcibing, they under prescribe to all their patients.

I am currently on oxycodone (25-30mg 3-5x daily)

And if i do that once i get it filled, Im out of pills for the rest of the month in a matter of days.

And with oxycodone, the brain goes through withrawal every 4 hours, wanting more dopamine, in my case my pain cripples me to the point of disabilty and moaning until I get another dose.

The neuropathy comes from nerve damage from antibiotic use for Lyme disease and other severe co-infections.

Knowing all of this,

Is oxycontin a good medicine? Is there euphoria involved? Does it help pain a lot? Can people function well on this medication? If i take a 30mg oxycontin, will be be too stoned to drive for the day or will it help me function?

Any advice is taken to heart and appreciated.

Less is more with opiates you will have to cut down eventually BUT if you cut down now it will be a lot easier than if you cutdown/quit in a few years probably not by choice either, everyone runs out im a chronic pain patient to I get codeine and they always work for me but I did grow a tolerance to them once upon a time so I decided to take 60 mg booster shots for minmal satisfaction this is compared to say anywhere from 256mg -756mg it all deoends on my mood but to my surprise, op they seemed to work stronger than the higher doses I dont know how that works but I swear its a hundred percent true(ime) in fact the analgesic is much more clearer and just pleasent I took just under 64 mgs this morning considering how long I have been taking.them for at higher doses as well, I may not know much about oxycodone, op but I do know a lot general and personal drug infomation pm me and I will help anyway I can... Seriously pm me I'm bored

Hi easysweep. Sorry to hear your pain situation. As you are probably aware, Oxycontin is a slow release formulation. They can be sedating if a person's not used to them. I'm a pain patient as well and wanted to ask you a few questions if you don't mind.

Is your doctor going to prescribe it to you for neuropathy? Have you discussed other medications like gabapentin? What dosage of oxycodone are you prescribed now or is the amount you listed what you're currently taking?

Oxycontin is just extended release oxycodone, so you will probably have the same issues if you switch to oxycontin, unless your doctor is going to prescribe you a appreciably higher dose then what you are on right now.

Sometimes opiates aren't even the best medicine to help with neuropathic pain, you might want to discuss other options like gabapentin, as T.cal said. Gabapentin and related compounds are not opiates and less abusable so i'm sure your doc will be happy for you to try them.

If that doesn't work you may want to consider trying an opiate other than oxycodone. It all depends on personal brain chemistry but some people respond better to certain opiates as opposed to others.

I take 25-30mg of oxy when Im in pain. I wake up moaning, kicking, crying in bed because the neuropathy is burning. Even though Im going through treatment, I am scrutinized and wont have doctors give me enough medicine to be pain free.

About oxycontin, I thought it would release 25mg into th bloodstream then maintain that- is this correct?

Pete... what is a booster?

T. Calderone-

Gabapentin, Cymbalta, i even tried naltrexone, etc.

Ive had four neurologists, and with each of them I went down the list of their drugs.

None work

My body just needs the parasympathetic to calm down and get some PC in to repair the mylen sheath...

Im ready to give up. Its so hard.

And with all the resistance we are all getting for relief, its no wonder the people around us with chronic pain are twice as likely to commit suicide.

I tried methadone, Fentanyl, oxycodone, oxycodone etx. release, vicodin, percocet, Bupenorphine, Bulbuca.

Only ones I havent tried are morphine tablets & Oxycontin

How is the Oxycontin effect? Is it intense?

Oxycontin is going to be extended release, it's the same drug as oxycodone except that it releases it over a long period of time. So instead of releasing 30mg all at once it would release 15mg initially and 15mg spread out over the next 2-3 hours depending on the specific formula.

It will be less intense then the oxycodone you are getting now because it's going to release slowly into your body, which will cause it to last longer but not have that initial kick. A 30mg extended release oxycontin pill is going to feel weaker than an instant release 30mg oxycodone pill, which i'm assuming is what you take now.

Depending on how your pain manifests you might need both extended and instant release, instant for when the pain suddenly spikes and extended so you can don't have to keep redosing every four hours to stay out of withdrawal.