• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Thinking of switching from Gabapentin to Pregabalin. Thoughts?

I B Profane

Bluelighter
Hello all,

I've been prescribed Gabapentin, 300mg 3x daily for about two years now. It was prescribed mostly for anxiety, as well as being a general mood stabilizer. It definitely has helped a lot of of my GAD and social phobia symptoms, and I think that Gabapentin is a great medication. However, after being on it for 2+ years, I don't really feel it nearly as much as I did when I first started taking it. This brings me to Pregabalin - I've taken it in the past and it seems to be a stronger, more effective version of Gabapentin. If I made the switch, I would go from taking 300mg Gabapentin 3x per day to taking 100mg Pregabalin 2x daily. It seems that if anything, that dose of Lyrica would be slightly stronger than my current Gabapentin dose, according to this chart: https://www.apsoc.org.au/PDF/Newsletters/APS_Newsletter_JUL13.pdf

I've also heard that Pregabalin is fairly expensive, which is definitely a factor. The copay for my Gabapentin is 5 dollars per month. I would be willing to spend slightly more than that, but not by a whole lot. Especially because another one of my medications, Armodafinil, now costs me 50 dollars per month and I'm debating switching from that to the much cheaper Dexamphetamine, but that's a different topic.

Anyone have any input or first hand experiences?

Gabapentin

Hello all,

I've been prescribed Gabapentin, 300mg 3x daily for about two years now. It was prescribed mostly for anxiety, as well as being a general mood stabilizer. It definitely has helped a lot of of my GAD and social phobia symptoms, and I think that Gabapentin is a great medication. However, after being on it for 2+ years, I don't really feel it nearly as much as I did when I first started taking it. This brings me to Pregabalin - I've taken it in the past and it seems to be a stronger, more effective version of Gabapentin. If I made the switch, I would go from taking 300mg Gabapentin 3x per day to taking 100mg Pregabalin 2x daily. It seems that if anything, that dose of Lyrica would be slightly stronger than my current Gabapentin dose, according to this chart: https://www.apsoc.org.au/PDF/Newsletters/APS_Newsletter_JUL13.pdf

I've also heard that Pregabalin is fairly expensive, which is definitely a factor. The copay for my Gabapentin is 5 dollars per month. I would be willing to spend slightly more than that, but not by a whole lot. Especially because another one of my medications, Armodafinil, now costs me 50 dollars per month and I'm debating switching from that to the much cheaper Dexamphetamine, but that's a different topic.

Anyone have any input or first hand experiences?

Hi, this is my first reply or anything on here, I am a new member. But your post caught my eye because I too take Gabapentin 300mgs 3 capsules 3 times a day, but I am prescribed it for seizures and neuropathy but I also suffer from chronic panic disorder as well as a number of other disorders. I had no idea that it could help with what you are saying it helps you with. What exactly is it prescribed to you for if you dont mind my asking?

I take Lyrica (150 mg twice a day). I have an unusual type of neuropathic skin pain which nothing treated, not even opioids and it was driving me totally crazy but it was actually my psychiatrist who recommended it for the pain but also for my generalized anxiety disorder. This med has definitely helped with both and has basically allowed me to lead a semi-normal life. I'm pretty lucky that one drug killed two birds with one stone. As far as cost, it's going to depend on your insurance situation, under my prescription drug plan, the co-payment is the same as the other 3 meds I take every day.