Open Discussion There's an application for everything, why not bluelight too?

HeatherWesling

Bluelighter
A lot of friends get on this website using their phone and I get on this site using only my phone and since everybody is always on their phone and almost everything has an app why not blulight to? It would be so much more easier. Thanks! :)

There are a few mobile theme options available to you (See dropdown bottom-left of each page), each with their own limitations.

A specific app is not something we've pursued for a number of reasons - time, cost and legal being the main barriers. Not opposed to it though.

The future of apps for forums is a little debatable. vB5 is likely to drop the development of it's mobile theme (which we currently use) and, instead, concentrate on responsive theme design that can adapt to screensize, essentially providing a full-featured front-end. But we'll see if that comes to fruition. vB have promised much over the years and not always delivered.

It's also not clear how it's mobile suite package (which includes a pre-developed app) will continue post vB5 beta. There's been conflicting messages about it's future, and it's not clear what the benefits really are over and above a decent mobile-specific theme.

Although... frankly, we haven't really considered how we'll respond to vB ceasing feature development of vB4 or what our upgrade plans are (if any).

As a compromise (if people really want additional mobile options), we could revisit the ForumRunner / Tapatalk options again. We recently discussed this and felt that it might be worth looking at again. However, I took a look at ForumRunner about a month ago and, frankly, thought it was dire. Haven't used Tapatalk.

What is the point of an app when you can just use a browser to nav to BL.

(I'm not a fan of smart phones, and hate the way tablets are designed almost like bigger verisons of smart phones - just some background info)

i just thought it would be beneficial considering technology is motioning to tablet/app style web browsing.

I can make a app for my blulight dope fiends !! :)

Bang bang it's almost 8 am time to shoot up :)

There's a mobile website for Bluelight; which I always avoid like the plague. The classic site is way better IMO.

I use tapatalk for a few other forums. It works GREAT! I actually prefer using the app on my phone over the full size on my computer.

I use tapatalk for a few other forums. It works GREAT! I actually prefer using the app on my phone over the full size on my computer.
I know this is a very late response haha but I read this and downloaded Tapatalk and I didn't like it that much. What kind of stuff do you follow because I wasn't really interested in some of the options it game me (different forums)

I had something called ForumRunner on my phone though I don't remember downloading it. Personally I don't see the point of having an app for Bluelight when you can get it on the phone's Internet. I go on Safari, which is the Internet brower for iPhone, n there is Bluelight. I don't know about other mbile devices but with iPhone, at least, you can open up multiple tabs so for instance, I have BL on one, Google on another n so on n so on. This thread was created in 2012 n at the time apps were very much a new thing for a lot of people n so it was the thing to have an app for this, that n the other when really it was just an advertising campagn of Apple that everyone fell for, hard. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense for BL to make extra work for them - n I assume it costs money to to build, n maintain an app. I have eyesight problen n I find Bluelight easy to use on my iPhone. I can use multitouch to enlarge posts which I probably wouldn't be able to do this on an app as apps don't seem to have multitouch to enlarge the size etc. I love the layout of Bluelight as it is now n how user-friendly it is n would like to thank the engineers n admins for all their hard work in maintaining BL.

Evey

I know this is a very late response haha but I read this and downloaded Tapatalk and I didn't like it that much. What kind of stuff do you follow because I wasn't really interested in some of the options it game me (different forums)
I downloaded it to and it sucked in my opinion