• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

The Safest Way to Decarboxylate Weed...?

phuckingnutz

Bluelighter
I have just recently been giving oral cannabis another look, and I would like to know if anyone has heard of or used a "fool proof" way to decarb weed? Well, decarb w/out burning up precious molecules.
The most recent, and, seemingly, safest decarb I have tried called for placing the weed in a vac sealed quart jar and submerging the jar in boiling water for an hour to an hour and a half.
Admittedly, this method SEEMS safe, but does anyone actually know if...

A) ...decarboxylation will proceed in a vacuum?

B) ...since it's a closed system, would anything that did vaporize remain in the product?

C) ...the time and temp are w/in the parameters for decarboxylation to proceed at a fairly quick rate?

Any input will be appreciated.

Last edited:
That is a really strange way to decarb weed. I have never heard of it before, can not confirm that it works or that it is safe. Definitely is more complicated than just grinding up weed and putting it in the oven.

I'm not a big edible guy but I have seen charts that show you the different temps and times that you can use, and how it varies the end product.

As for you questions:
A: I don't see why it wouldn't. Vacuum lowers boiling points, not sure how that will effect things.
B: Maybe not in the end product but certainly trapped inside the container.
C: Not sure as I don't know how pressure effects decarboxylation.

yea there's no need to get all complex, as long as you do the process with the green immersed in oil/fat it will soak up all the good stuff. you can even cook it in a spoon until it starts to froth and end up with viable edibles in <5 min

I've been decarbing for years and didn't know it, but now I am just eating the weed, as is. So, a good decarb prior is essential.
The good news is that this decarb method works...tried a few grams today.
The better news is that, since it works well, this method IS much safer in that you can accidentally forget about it for an hour or two and since the temp can't get above 212 as long as there is water in the pot you won't burn your weed up like you can, easily, in an oven.
I guess I answered my own question.
As for ease of use, after a good grind a half pound will fit in a quart jar...half lb at a time doesn't seem too bad.
Anyway, thank you for your help.

addendum: In the oven decarb I would lose much of the aromatic volatile oils during the decarb process, but this stuff still smells fruity and it's tasty too!
I got this method from "Marijuana Alchemy" online.