• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The rush of non-drug hypoxia and nexus between nitrous high

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
I participate in a non drug activity that involves hypoxia (depriving yourself of oxygen). There are certain sports and what they call auto erotic asphyxiation that result in hypoxia and holding one's breath a long time.

Ppl describe a rush of feeling of well being without drugs that results from hypoxia, particularly where you hold your breath till the point of blacking out and take that first inhale...you get a rush that is so similar to nitrous. I'm not talking to thr point of really needing the breath...im talking about holding your breath to the point of being lightheaded and seeing white when you take that first inhale.

After plenty of abuse of nitrous oxide both combined with other drugs and solely on its own, I've noticed that that same rush that comes with hypoxia feels very similar to the feeling of a hit of nitrous.

Now, nitrous is an NMDA antagonist, so of course it will give a good high. I've IVed plenty of K and MXE though and noticed that that hypoxic rush of nitrous is absent from the instant hit of an IV NMDA antagonist such as K.

I find it hard to attribute this rush felt upon the first hit of nitrous to its NMDA antagonism because this is before I even have a significant blood saturation level of nitrous. And the NMDA antagonist knockout like effect you get from K is not achieved with nitrous until you been sucking down a lot of it for a while...but that hypoxic rush comes with the first hit of nitrous.

This rush is a feeling of floating and lightness throughout the body and a white light in the visual field.

I'm wondering what the pharmacogical mechanism responsible for the high of non drug related hypoxia and where it crosses over with nitrous.

Again this hypoxia rush doesn't come unless you really push yourself to the limit of hypoxia....and taking a single hit off a nitrous bottle does not provide a level of hypoxia where I would expect that it's rush is due solely to oxygen deprivation, yet it's there and they feel similar.

So what is the nexus between these two things (sober hypoxia) and (nitrous)?

Last edited:
I have a timer on my rig now and you can maintain about as much of a buzz are you are going to get from nitrous by hitting one cart every 120-180 seconds but you don't have to slam it, short hits interspersed with regular breathing still works fine. A box of 24 can last you an hour or so. Hitting it much harder than that is just wasting gas. Actually you will find a hit of pure oxygen in there will make it better.
That quikly separates the nitrous from whatever you get from asphyxia.