• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The real driver behind most drug use is pleasure, not dependence

TWO reasons psychedelics will never be legal

1) It would literally change the world very quickly because there would be a large increase in people trying them. Who knows how this could change the world in a drastic way...oh wait its already fucked so i doubt it could get any worse

2) Big Pharma will lobby the government to prevent it, don't want people of their daily SSRIs if they discover the meaning of life or find inner peace.

Did drug use ever take place without bloodshed? Yes. Through most of human history, people have gotten high in the absence of carnage. What caused this to change? Prohibition.

Drug taking was ours before they tried to take it away from us. The blood is on their hands, not on ours.

Im pretty sure people have been killing eachother since before they were even homo sapiens yet. Not their own families and peers though like we do now

Im pretty sure people have been killing eachother since before they were even homo sapiens yet. Not their own families and peers though like we do now

brutality is part of earthly life. But brutality isn't an intrinsic part of drug taking. When our ancestors smoked opium or chewed coca or engulfed minervum, they didn't necessarily have to massacre families on the way to the fields. Prohibition brought the violence. Indeed, it's impossible to have prohibition without at least the threat of violence. No such connection exists between violence and drug-taking.

I think the study misses the mark a little. I do agree that there is some issue around the pleasure factor, and an ingrained societal belief system that admonishes euphoria as somehow hondistic or unbecoming; but the greater reason that the least harmful drugs are illegal is that they cause the user to re-examine the human structure of living. Alcohol and tobacco are the most harmful, but they do not pose any threat to the established and accepted thought patterns.

If you look at which drugs pose the greatest threat to the status quo and which drugs don't, the scheduling of substances will make a lot more sense. It's not about pleasure vs. dependence but acceptable thoughtspeak vs. unacceptable ideology. People whose point of view is shifted dramatically may refuse to participate in, or even begin rebelling against the structures they grew up unconsciously accepting.

If the laws were genuinely about harm reduction then alcohol and tobacco would be schedule I. That's not to say that there is no harm to the other substances, but in terms of loss of life, and socioeconomic impacts, alcohol and tobacco take the cake.

Totally agree with what you said here.
However, the myth that drug use is not about pleasure is purposely spread as part of the intensive brainwashing campaign launched by those afraid of the masses thinking on their own.

I don't really buy the theory that people have been intentionally steered away from mental development. I think that when our species developed industry, a cult of productivity took root. We fanatically value productivity, but it's because we subconsciously resist returning to the trees and caves. It is our blind attachment to productivity that makes us reject pleasure.

Hah, will this change the patriarchal tone of some mods here since the 'authorities' are now considering this ?

Methadone doesn't only prevent me from shooting dilaudid into my veins and the social and economic hardships that brought to me, it also provides some comfort in hard times, doctors who say methadone doesn't do any psychoactive effect, well they more like go "it will not get you high". Sure I don't get high like if I was shooting up, but i'm getting pleasure out of it, a little like the original opiates I went after FOR PAIN I was seeking to obtain legally before just going 'fuck this' after being treated like a piece of shit when i was begging and obtaining a mere 30 count of codeine contins 100mg with no refills, like if it was part of the process. HOLY SHIT HE MIGHT GET A SMILE! 8)

We take drugs more because we like to get fucked up, over actually being dependent on them? Considering we are mammals, this is not surprising... OK maybe a little. Look at elephants or monkeys, eating all the fermented fruit from the trees etc ad infinitum.

I guess the ego has a lot less involvement than one would have thought. The unconscious on the other hand has the massive part to play.

They forgot to mention lack of pleasure and presence of sadness. Seems as they would be just as strong motivating factors. And addiction can be the strongest motivating factor when someone are in it.

This was a really good read and it just validates a theory I have had for a very long time.

Last edited:
disagree i couldn't quit klonopin if i wanted to

which i do want to have been trying for months

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Informative and I agree with it. I noticed my pleasure census have gone down a lot since I reduce my usage, Although I wasn't really responded to pleasure that much before I used anyway. I stayed depressed a lot and wasn't very social. Amphetamine same to bring me out of my shell, I truly do miss it.