• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Careers The Pursuit From The Bottom Up

Joey

Bluelighter
Money
Business
Power Over Life
Etc

Once I dropped in a city homeless. A year later I had a job making the most I had ever made and maybe ever will, had my own brand new apartment downtown, etc. A hard round of meth use later and back to a bottom of sorts.

Anyone have stories to relate. Right now I don’t even have housing and I barely have work. Just some part time contractual stuff and a budding skill set in writing. I own a business which holds contracts to sell two types of HR products in strips and a dry reagent, but it’s on hold. Needless to say, I’m at the bottom.

It’s a tough go. How did you manage,

Do you have a plan that you're going to follow to work yourself back up again this time mate? <3
Well I’ve got a bit of work I can do so just showing up to he task on that helps. I’ve been absent for mucho time this past year. I have a small business idea almost executed sitting stagnant, and I can write. I just need to to show up to the task and do more paid stuff for once.

I don’t know much more until I figure out an actual living situation.

I used to trudge along make choices that I knew I should be now I feel like I am being dragged along the bottom as I have been making the choices I know I should not be. Right and wrong, moral or ethical dilemmas aside, I feel like a walking shell of a human to be honest sorry don't have more kind of empty, kind of run down, no not kind of more like a wreck headed for a grave soon if they can't get a handle.

I just quit a new job they even gave me the chance to go back I told them I had a substance abuse problem excuse for missing a week and then quitting when they ask if I wanted to quit she showed empathy lol desperate for employee retainment high turnover more like it by saying well you should come back working will keep you busy should help with the drug use terrible choice but it was a scary job driving "patients" around some felt more like victims to me I won't go criticizing now but that medical system and economic inequality...

I have no advice just acknowledging I too am on the bottom hah as if that's a good reason to chuckle

Heh just glanced at the title again makes me think of that Will Smith movie The Pursuit of Happiness. Not about to watch it though.

I hit rock bottom enough times that it became very hard to keep clawing my way back up. Then one day it hit me that I would rather die than have to do it again.

One thing I learned is to live with purpose. It doesn't even have to be a brilliant purpose, it just has to be something that gives you concrete goals you can achieve and motivation to keep doing better comes naturally from hitting meaningful milestones.

Another thing I learned is that good friends are worth their weight in gold and they should be treated accordingly. Bonds don't grow strong on their own, you have to tend to them like a gardener tends to plants that he wants to see flourish.

Putting your life together in order is difficult and time consuming but the results are worth it. Maslow's hierarchy of needs has been good guidance for me in terms of putting my priorities in order - first come the physiological things (e.g. diet, sleep) then come the security (e.g. financial, steady housing) and so on. The foundation of the pyramid has to be strong before it can be ready to support the capstone.

I'm not so convinced it's necessary to follow the order of things exactly as Maslow laid them out but IME it's very difficult to achieve the higher levels without first having the physiological and security needs met adequately. Food for thought.

I hit rock bottom enough times that it became very hard to keep clawing my way back up. Then one day it hit me that I would rather die than have to do it again.

One thing I learned is to live with purpose. It doesn't even have to be a brilliant purpose, it just has to be something that gives you concrete goals you can achieve and motivation to keep doing better comes naturally from hitting meaningful milestones.

Another thing I learned is that good friends are worth their weight in gold and they should be treated accordingly. Bonds don't grow strong on their own, you have to tend to them like a gardener tends to plants that he wants to see flourish.

Putting your life together in order is difficult and time consuming but the results are worth it. Maslow's hierarchy of needs has been good guidance for me in terms of putting my priorities in order - first come the physiological things (e.g. diet, sleep) then come the security (e.g. financial, steady housing) and so on. The foundation of the pyramid has to be strong before it can be ready to support the capstone.

I'm not so convinced it's necessary to follow the order of things exactly as Maslow laid them out but IME it's very difficult to achieve the higher levels without first having the physiological and security needs met adequately. Food for thought.

Great post, spot on.