The Official Wiretap and Telephone Monitoring Mega-Merged Thread!

I got busted meeting someone from BL... nuff said...

and it was a very signifigant bust no less... which involved about a 70 year sentence had they not entrapped me.

Ryu said:
ever heard of echelon?

Yup ---

Echelon is perhaps the most powerful intelligence gathering organization in the world. Several credible reports suggest that this global electronic communications surveillance system presents an extreme threat to the privacy of people all over the world. According to these reports, ECHELON attempts to capture staggering volumes of satellite, microwave, cellular and fiber-optic traffic, including communications to and from North America. This vast quantity of voice and data communications are then processed through sophisticated filtering technologies.

This massive surveillance system apparently operates with little oversight. Moreover, the agencies that purportedly run ECHELON have provided few details as to the legal guidelines for the project. Because of this, there is no way of knowing if ECHELON is being used illegally to spy on private citizens.

More from ---
ECHELON WATCH ...

Please keep discussion of wiretaps, telephone monitoring, etc., confined to this thread unless you have a very SPECIFIC thread.

CEP is the better place to discuss Project Echelon, so please feel free to start a thread there if you wish.

Thanks for helping us keep things organized around here. :)

There we go, I was talking about Echelon or something like it but didn't actually know the name. The processing power and physical size of such a system must be staggering. Billions of emails, texts, phone conversations, forum talk, IM conversations must be handled every month by such a system.
The cost to the tax payer must be astronomical too. I wonder how much of it is actually worth it. It is like trying to find the proverbial needle in the haystack. Only a tiny %age of such communication would be about illegal things, and an even smaller amount about things worth investigating.

Digitally Analog said:
gotta love prime numbers.

I've a love/hate relationship with them. They are great for coding, they are a pain in the ass when you've got to manipulate them or do analysis on specific types of prime like 1 (mod 4) or -1 (mod 6). I hate those two.
I'm so sad for talking about that.........

roliepolie said:
I got busted meeting someone from BL... nuff said...

and it was a very signifigant bust no less... which involved about a 70 year sentence had they not entrapped me.

You got busted for what I assume would be drug trafficing / production? To setup a situation where you are meeting someone from a website you have no exact details about to exchange a decent quantity of drugs is pretty stupid is it not?
How did you get off with "entrapment"? They kept pestering you for the drugs or something?