• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The Netherlands is closing prisons due to a serious prisoner shortage

Bluelight Crew
http://now.msn.com/netherlands-closing-prisons-due-to-lack-of-prisoners#scpshrtu

It's a happy problem to have: The Netherlands is closing eight prisons (and sadly, cutting 1,200 jobs) because a drop in crime has left the country with a dearth of criminals. It's a reversal from the 1990s, when the prison system was overcrowded, but now the country's all set up for 14,000 prisoners, and only has 12,000 actually incarcerated. The Dutch justice ministry expects the crime rate to keep falling, so the Netherlands is working on an agreement with Belgium to import some 500 Belgian prisoners to the Netherlands' Tilburg prison. This is officially the least-American national problem ever. [Source]

CORRECTION: This story above was published without making it clear that the data was from 2009. Last week, the Dutch government announced revised plans to close 19 prisons, according to NOS, a Dutch TV station. The decision was prompted partly by a declining crime rate and by budget cuts, which will result in more prisoners sharing cells and more criminals avoiding jail in favor of electronic tagging.

http://now.msn.com/netherlands-closing-prisons-due-to-lack-of-prisoners#scpshrtu

This is exactly the kind of progress we need to start seeing stateside.

Drug laws create criminals.

Maybe the US can take note. Too bad they make way too much money from chucking people in jail.

Great news though.

I'll remember this the next time the media calls the Netherlands a crime-infested hellhole.

Canada is building new prisons to put drug criminals in, criminals they created by toughening laws on things like growing pot. Despite a chorus of voices pointing to the Netherland's success Canada is copying failed US drug policy. If I was younger I would learn Dutch and move.
I predict in next few years that some third world leader will decide the money the USA gives them to fight drugs will pale in comparison to the money drug tourists will bring. Someone somewhere is one day is going to create a "super Amsterdam" where everything is legal.