Social The Live Show Review Thread

Most recent show was 02/29/2012 @ Northern Lights in Clifton Park, NY. Steve Aoki/Datsik/Angger Dimmas/Dj Prophet

Sadly I could neither see the local opener/a friend of mine (dj prophet) nor much of Angger Dimmas's set because of a snowstorm/waiting outside for 45 minutes to get in. However....

Datsik - 9/10. This was an impressive set in my opinion. It was extremely well mixed and had a phenomenal song selection including multiple genres and alot of unreleased/new material as well as some killer remixes. Only thing I could have suggested would be more of a stage presence/stage show, but hey. the music is what matters, right?

Steve Aoki - 7/10. I personally really enjoyed this set, alot of the songs played weren't exactly my "cup of tea," but he still rocked the place. He's easily one of the more talented dj's that I've seen live as the mixing (and stage diving) was much better than I was expecting.

That's it for now. should have a review of Rusko/Savoy/TrevMunz at the armory on 2/10 coming soon.....just depends on when I get bored again

STS9 10/10 @ the congress theater 1/20

STS9 8/10 @ the congress theater 1/21

Real quick on both of these, I thought the first night was better. They brought the heat both nights but the first night had a better energy to it. They played all the songs I wanted to hear pretty much (EHM, scheme, and some new stuff like "march"). Was a great weekend for sure. Didn't get much sleep out partying til 8 am. STS9 is definitely one of my favorite bands.

A-trak 6/10 @ the MID

I really like the new Duck Sauce stuff, but this set was disappointing to say the least. Last time I saw him play the MID he was full of energy, scratching it up. I saw minimal turntablism this go-round... and being that that is what I thought he was known for, plus the fact that last time was so fucking awesome how he combined turntablism with house tracks... It pissed me off this time. He did play for quite a while, but I left early.

Been taking a break from the dance music scene. Have seen Moe. and Galactic the past few weekends and it has been refreshing. I am getting sick and tired of 17-18 year old candy kids all spun on whatever it is they are on. Guitars>CDJ's for me at this point. How a lifeless DJ gets paid to stand up there and play music without doing anything to get the crowd involved is beyond me. Anyways, I have seen almost all of the DJ's I want to. I will be seeing bassnectar in April and Skream, Benga, and Plastician at the end of this month. I am reaaaallly looking forward to seeing Break Science again and may be going to see Chali 2na's band tomorrow. Hope y'all been well.

Fuck the Congress

Amen to that.

Shpongle @ The Congress, Chicago (2011)
8/10

His set was pretty sweet but The Congress fucking sucks. The sound is bad, the security is bad, and the crowds are bad. The crowds were made even worse because Excision was closing for Shpongle. We didn't even stay for that. I could've done without the girls dancing on stage but otherwise pretty good.

Wolfgang Gartner/MSTRKRFT @ The Congress, Chicago (Halloween 2011)
9.5/10

The crowd was oddly not that bad, or maybe it was just that I didn't notice. Or perhaps because more people appeared to be rolling than drinking. Anyway the music was great, everyone was dancing. MSTRKRFT threw in a couple wobbles and the crowd went nuts. I very much enjoyed myself there. Laidback Luke really wasn't any good and AraabMUZIK was just bad which was a bummer. A smaller more intimate venue would have been nicer but it wasn't too bad.

Mimosa @ The Pageant, St. Louis (2012)
4/10

I dislike The Pageant, not because of the crowds or the security or anything like that, but because the dance floor setup is awful. There's a lot of room for people to sit and drink, but not really enough for people to stand and dance.One of the least fun electronic shows I've ever been too. I really like Mimosa but I thought that the sound quality was awful live. The bass drowned out every bit of every song other than the wobbles. After an hour of a wall of bass I was fed up and tired. Plus Tigran (or whatever his name is) was either really fucked up or pretending to be really fucked up, neither of which were amusing. It was what I hate about dubstep.

Lotus @ The Pageant, St. Louis (Mardi Gras 2012)
10/10

Again The Pageant... everything about the music was great. Lotus just jammed and the crowd was really into it. Everyone was being nice and there was no pushing or showing. Really one of the most fun shows I've ever been to.

M83 @ The Pageant, St. Louis (2012)
8/10

I really like M83's studios albums so I was expecting to really dig there show. It was fun and I enjoyed it but I didn't really connect with it emotionally as I have at other shows. The sound quality was good and the light show was pretty neat but I wished that there was more electronic stuff. The breakdowns into electronic were really fun and the whole crowd started dancing but mostly they stuck with rockier more instrumental stuff which was good but not great.

Shpongle @ House of Blues, Chicago (2012)
9.5/10

My only gripe with this show was the time it started, the doors were at 11.30 and Shpongle didn't come on until 1.15 at least, so around 3.10 me and my girlfriend just decided to peace out. Anyway the Masquerade was incredible, fantastic lights, much cooler than the shpongletron. Shpongle continues to be a great DJ, mixing up all of his songs and really controlling the crowd. Usually concerts have ups and downs, slows and fasts, but this one felt as if it was only up. I was dancing the entire time.

Ferry Corsten @ Nocturnal Festival, CA (2009)
10/10

Wow what a set. It was his Twice in a Blue Moon Experience show. The lights and music were amazing. He had a closing 3 hour set which made it so much better. If anyone's ever been in the NOS Center in San Bernardino CA, the racetrack next to it was open this night and was used as the main stage. The whole track was filled with people for his set. There were times where I would close my eyes and be lost in another world. Here's a nice video from his set. Ferry Corsten - Radio Crash @ Nocturnal '09

Evol Intent @ 420 Festival, CA (2010)
8/10

The set that made me start to like drum and bass. Before I didn't really have an interest in dnb but their set sure changed that. The music and bass/drums were so incredible I couldn't stop dancing. One of my fav tracks I heard from their set (Evol Intent -Middle of the Night). Light were on average (typical music festival). That crowd had a good vibe in it though. Just an amazing time from their set.

Magnetic Man @ Coachella, CA (2011)
9/10

Was dying to see MM ever since I heard their essential mix. Was the main set I was the most excited for out of Coachella. I've always been a fan of Skream and really wanted to see their group set. I squeezed my way up to the front rail right before they came on. Their whole set was top notched. They played every track from their album they released and man, was that a heavy set to listen to. Also, seeing Pokes as their MC made it better. The lights were amazing too, Coachella never disappoints.
Magnetic Man - Mad @ Coachella '11

Joe Nice @ Bass Goes Boom, CA (2012)
10/10

Also another artist I was dying to see. I'm always listening to his monthly shows. A deep dubstep dj that I love. He played at some small venue in Pasadena, which made it even better (smaller the venue for deep dubstep shows, the better). He played nothing but classics and even spun some new Mala tracks. One of my favorite dubstep shows that I've been to. It's hard to find a good one without any "brostep" artists. Only video I can find from the event, spinning some swamp though. Joe Nice at Bass Goes Boom. The venue was so small I can actually see myself in the video.

Here's one of my fav mixes from him if you want to find out more about him.
Joe Nice September Mix