• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The legality of Poppy Pods in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Okay...are poppy pods legal in America or not?

More specifically, would it be legal for somebody in the UK to sell poppy pods to somebody in America and then ship them over?

The more I google the more frustrated I get - how can there be so much damn confusion? Either something is legal or it isn't legal.

Some folk say you need to advertise them as decorative arrangements - doesn't that mean they are legal then?

Cheers.

As long as they are for decorating I believe it's okay. Obviously you can't advertise opiate pod tea. I have seen some websites that sell dried pods here in the States. But because people know what they are wanted for they are extremely expensive.

I believe they are illegal because they contain morphine and codeine but law enforcement has for the most part ignored them.

-^^^The poppy seeds on your bagel have trace amounts. Ornamental use only. Got it :)

They're illegal. The poppy plant as a whole (besides seeds) is illegal to grow or own.
However, as long as they're being sold ornamentally it doesn't seem to raise many eyebrows, and they're relatively easy to find online as such without causing much trouble.

papaver somniferum is considered a Schedule II controlled substance. That being said, apparently the prohibition is often not enforced where poppies are grown for food or ornamental purposes

The legality of something like Poppy Pods are always going to be dubious. Of course some (most) are probably just going to use the pods for floral arrangements or whatever, which is why they are legal, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some kind of legal issue working against you, like "Acquiring Poppy for the purposes of intoxication, sale or recreational use is against the law".

I know that you can technically have a farm of Opium Poppy in your backyard and it's all legal until you begin trying to harvest the Opium, the Straw or any other part for the purpose of recovering government-controlled alkaloids like Morphine or Codeine.

You are operating in a legal grey area I'm sure. You might want to do some heavy research on the subject just to be a little bit more safe.

Speaking of poppy seeds, how much would one have to eat in order to fuck up a drug test? I honestly haven't had a single slip up since December. It would some how be my luck. I ate three everything bagels t/tr/sat and test was Mon. I know it sounds ridiculous to worry about but it didn't occur to me until I was eating my everything bagel at work Monday and it was loaded with seeds. Panic set un because if I failed I lose my kids. Needless to say I switched to sesame from now on. I'm hoping it's just something people that are really dirty claim happens! Don't mean to hijack the thread but seems like you all know about poppies.

Speaking of poppy seeds, how much would one have to eat in order to fuck up a drug test? I honestly haven't had a single slip up since December. It would some how be my luck. I ate three everything bagels t/tr/sat and test was Mon. I know it sounds ridiculous to worry about but it didn't occur to me until I was eating my everything bagel at work Monday and it was loaded with seeds. Panic set un because if I failed I lose my kids. Needless to say I switched to sesame from now on. I'm hoping it's just something people that are really dirty claim happens! Don't mean to hijack the thread but seems like you all know about poppies.
The Discovery Channel's MythBusters show did a piece testing whether poppy seeds could cause a false positive on an over-the-counter drug test. Two people were tested for opiates before the experiment began. Both tested negative on this initial test. One person then ate three poppy seed bagels and the other ate poppy seed cake. Both tested positive for opiates within 30 minutes of ingesting the seeds and continued to test positive until 16 hours after ingestion. The same brand of drug test was used in all cases. They called a number of manufacturers of over-the-counter drug tests and were told by all but one that poppy seeds could not cause a false positive.

See I do have a reason to worry! I have been researching and come up with similar stuff but was hoping the people were lying! But if a show was actually done on it, it must be true. I figured worst case scenario I will have to pay for a hair test. I doubt it would mess with the hair. It would just be my luck and no one will believe me either because I lied so much in the past.

The levels on most UA's used today have been raised so eating 10 poppy seed bagels would not trip the test for morphine. Now if you made poppy seed tea and washed a large amount sure it would pop a positive. That show was done awhile ago and since then they have raised the levels so false positives will not be tripped form eating small amounts of poppy seeds.

The legality of something like Poppy Pods are always going to be dubious. Of course some (most) are probably just going to use the pods for floral arrangements or whatever, which is why they are legal, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was some kind of legal issue working against you, like "Acquiring Poppy for the purposes of intoxication, sale or recreational use is against the law".

I know that you can technically have a farm of Opium Poppy in your backyard and it's all legal until you begin trying to harvest the Opium, the Straw or any other part for the purpose of recovering government-controlled alkaloids like Morphine or Codeine.

You are operating in a legal grey area I'm sure. You might want to do some heavy research on the subject just to be a little bit more safe.

This is not true, you cannot legally have a farm of opium poppy in your backyard even if you are growing them only for ornamental purposes. Its true that many people do this and law enforcement doesn't bother them, but if they wanted to come and arrest you for growing opium poppies they most certainly could.

Hey Death I gotts close this, no legal questions. And hey guys, if you see a thread that's not allowed, please don't answer the question. Just inform someone to close it, thanks! =]

Status
Not open for further replies.